Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Indian Market has grown rapidly. Yes, I know exchange rates are not that favourable but people are giving Hollywood much better chance to breakout than they use to. 

China is going to go very big for Avatar 2. I don't see less than 600M there. 

South Korea, Indonesia and many more growing markets are going to very big for Avatar 2.

Avatar 2 can drop in Europe and still easily cross 3B.

Don't take Cameron lightly. He has proven the naysayers wrong 2 times back to back with arguably very big projects of their time. 

If everything goes in right direction, I can easily see Avatar 2 going over TFA in America. 

4 hours ago, GrandierHorror said:

I am so excited for Avatar 2. The underwater sequence are going to be breathtaking. I don't see a scenario where it goes below 2B.

My prediction is around 3-3.5B. If Endgame can reach 2.76B with such ER. Avatar 2 can easily surpass that. 

Beside by 2021, ER maybe better than today. James Cameron is one man army. 

ER definitely could be and if so that it goes. Won't be worse.

8 hours ago, GrandierHorror said:

I am so excited for Avatar 2. The underwater sequence are going to be breathtaking. I don't see a scenario where it goes below 2B.

My prediction is around 3-3.5B. If Endgame can reach 2.76B with such ER. Avatar 2 can easily surpass that. 

Beside by 2021, ER maybe better than today. James Cameron is one man army. 

What !? :wintf:            

Edited by WeneedtotalkaboutKevin

12 hours ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Good evening all. Any new news on Avatar 2. Back in the saddle and hoped everyone had a blessed week.😎😎

Nope, it's been pretty quiet lately in terms of news. No word on where they stand with live shooting in New Zealand. 

Not quite the news I was hoping for, but it looks like Lightstorm is ramping up their 4k remastering efforts. Could be a trial run before Avatar gets the treatment, or not, but at least it shows 4k remasters are a priority. And also everyone in this thread is probably a big Abyss fan regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing a sharper looking version of the movie (480p vs 4k is going to be quite the jump).

https://geektyrant.com/news/james-camerons-the-abyss-is-finally-coming-to-blu-ray-and-getting-a-4k-overhaul

• Like 3

Avatar will always remain the highest grossing film until Avatar 2 releases. 

Avatar didn't have to cheat or fudge numbers to reach this level. 

Avatar extended cut was legit and not a hack. 

Some rabid fans are jealous of Cameron. I also love MCU but that doesn't mean I can't think and see what's going on. 

7 hours ago, GrandierHorror said:

Some rabid fans are jealous of Cameron. I also love MCU but that doesn't mean I can't think and see what's going on. 

Exactly. I'm a big marvel fan, but after this they can f**** off. If they had the no.1 without cheating it would be a great achievment but so its just lame. Nothing to be proud of. 11 years, 21 films, OW beyond words and in the end they had to fudge numbers to beat avatar.

7 hours ago, GrandierHorror said:

lol at cheating it's original run was 2.749 and was beaten by EGs original run

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

lol at cheating it's original run was 2.749 and was beating by EGs original run

So, then why the pathetic re-release with unfinished scene. 

Avatar released a legit extended cut. 

I am very happy for Endgame success. But this re-release sounds desperate. Nothing substantial was added in re-release. 

5 minutes ago, GrandierHorror said:

So, then why the pathetic re-release with unfinished scene. 

Avatar released a legit extended cut. 

I am very happy for Endgame success. But this re-release sounds desperate. Nothing substantial was added in re-release. 

Because it was a cash grab just Like Avatar's in this case they spent almost nothing on it. I'd rather see a real extended cut as well but with FFH coming out it chose the right time to ride the coattails. Heck an extended cut like Avatar would have had added at least an extra 5 million already as it would have had premium formats. 

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, cdsacken said:

Because it was a cash grab just Like Avatar's in this case they spent almost nothing on it. I'd rather see a real extended cut as well but with FFH coming out it chose the right time to ride the coattails.

Every movie is cash grab. I am not talking about that. I am disappointed in re-release atleast give something good. 

Avatar is fantastic. Nothing even comes closer in terms of box office performance in 21st century. 

Titanic is obviously bigger but hey! Cameron for the win. 

I find this whole Endgame vs Avatar box office battle tiresome. The bottom line is if it wasn't the difference in the China BO totals this would be a non-issue, their market has grown exponentially since 2009, also memories are short (Avatar was pulled early from theatres due to its politics thus reducing $). Endgame also benefitted from inflation, more premium screenings, set an IMAX/3D records and so on

Anyhow.....

China - Box Office 

Endgame: $614,316,821

Difference: $410,186,167

Any differences in exchange rates won't come close to making up that difference. 

Both movies have done extraordinarily well and no one in the industry is complaining. 

Edited by Deuce66
added title
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

I find this whole Endgame vs Avatar box office battle tiresome. The bottom line is if it wasn't the difference in the China BO totals this would be a non-issue, their market has grown exponentially since 2009, also memories are short (Avatar was pulled early from theatres due to its politics thus reducing $). Endgame also benefitted from inflation, more premium screenings, set an IMAX/3D records and so on

Anyhow.....

Endgame: $614,316,821

Difference: $410,186,167

Any differences in exchange rates won't come close to making up that difference. 

Both movies have done extraordinarily well and no one in the industry is complaining. 

If that means Exchange Rates, that's absolutely false.

Anyway, it's funny how cameronites now spin any thing they can bring on the table to diminish the probable surpassing of EG to A, when some weeks ago them all were happily being sarcastic and mocking MCU fans about EG not reaching A ww ... it's a matter of time, sooner than later EG will be #1 ww. 

I was totally indifferent to Avatar. Just saw it once in my life, not made any special impression on me. But after entering these forums, especially this thread, and seeing the level of fandom-aggressiveness (with mocking sarcasm added, which i find it even worst) I started to develop a feeling against A2 and a will of it ending disappointing box office wise. 

I know it will not happen, and A2 will surely get the #1 ww with ease, from EG ... or maybe from A after a re-re-re-release before A2 opening ... I wonder what would cameronites think of that? :wiggle:

• ...wtf 1

17 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Anyway, it's funny how cameronites now spin any thing they can bring on the table to diminish the probable surpassing of EG to A, when some weeks ago them all were happily being sarcastic and mocking MCU fans about EG not reaching A ww ... it's a matter of time, sooner than later EG will be #1 ww. 

Global Market Growth + Inflation > Change in ER

Prove me wrong (you can't)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Fixed my post - the #'s are the box office totals from China (Box Office Mojo). 

1 hour ago, meriodejaneiro said:

I was totally indifferent to Avatar. Just saw it once in my life, not made any special impression on me. But after entering these forums, especially this thread, and seeing the level of fandom-aggressiveness (with mocking sarcasm added, which i find it even worst) I started to develop a feeling against A2 and a will of it ending disappointing box office wise. 

I know it will not happen, and A2 will surely get the #1 ww with ease, from EG ... or maybe from A after a re-re-re-release before A2 opening ... I wonder what would cameronites think of that? :wiggle:

You came to box office forums and entered the thread specifically for Avatar 2 and are clutching your pearls that drive-by critics of Avatar and Cameron don’t get the red carpet rolled out?

come on now GIF by IFC

• Like 6