Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

He was the on Billy Aliya train too. Only off by 600 million. Thiiiiiiiiiiiissssss close.

Why no one else dared to step up to his bets is beyond me, he could have made a lot of people very rich. I bought a new TV and Switch :) 

• Astonished 1

7 hours ago, Valonqar said:

But speaking of 4B, it won't happen soon but if we go by my Theory of Milestones aka TOM, first movie to break a milestone comes closer to the next milestone than to the one it broke:

Hence my 3.7B prediction for Avatar 2, it fits the pattern well, 4B may be a stretch.

According to our relative success measure, that would put Avatar 2 below Avatar in terms impressiveness, but still that would be a pretty good number.

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

shit, what if Second Age of Nolan (Tenet) breaks 3B???? 

Wouldn't that be great?? I would be all for it!

An original film directed by Chris Nolan, intriguing concept, ambitious budget,  guaranteed to be a great cinematic experience comes out smashing and gets the worldwide record, that would be the greatest phenomenon since Avatar. I mean, he would only hold the crown for like 1 year, but I would be genuinely happy for Nolan.

Not gonna happen though, not in this global market, at this point in time.

Inception kicked off the 2010's decade with a bang, let's hope Tenet does the same for 2020s.

3 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

Of course, no matter what share Disney gets of the Avatar sequels, they would love a bigger slice, who wouldn't??  I guess it's weird for everyone in here(the Jim Gang) to just automatically assume Disney will just immediately piss of Cameron and risk losing on even the tiniest slice of that pie.  Especially when the catalyst for this discussion lies specifically with the WW gross of Avatar and Endgame, which doesn't even matter because Disney will win in the long run. 

Doing a quick search, I can't find any articles about the deal in place and what the actual cut is.  Does anyone have that info available?  Where are people getting the 20% figure from to begin with?  

I can't find anything on that either and considering most articles about the Pandora world at Disney mention that both Fox and Cameron were getting a licensing fee from Disney I'd be shocked if the deal around Avatar is as simple as Fox merely being a distributor for the films getting 20%.

Edited by SoSaysI
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Hydrogen said:

Why no one else dared to step up to his bets is beyond me, he could have made a lot of people very rich. I bought a new TV and Switch :) 

I wasn't on the site yet. Easiest money of all time. It's like saying a recession will never come.

3 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

I’ll try to help. Big business isn’t about being stoked about the contract they have, it’s about squeezing whatever profits they can without deviating from the corporate culture overtly. If execs at Disney believe they can win a concession from Cameron or make an example out of him, and it would make them more money in the short or long run, AND it is the type of thing they are known to do as part of their business culture (that’s the question mark for me) they’ll do it. It’s a constant battle. Having a contract is just the table stakes, big contracts are renegotiated all the time. So instead of looking at the contract in terms of “that’s a lot of money,” look at it as “is that the best Disney can do?” Personally, I think it is, but I wouldn’t put it past Disney to squeeze Cameron and block his re-releases to extract concessions. 

Wouldn't Cameron just threaten to never work with them again?  Literally, call them up and say "WB is getting my next multibillion dollar franchise."  

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

It's confidential, only have rumours.. a reddit post from someone who said they were at a fox shareholder event

Okay, so then nobody knows a single thing about the deal or what is in place for Disney and Cameron, got it!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NCsoft said:

Wouldn't that be great?? I would be all for it!

An original film directed by Chris Nolan, intriguing concept, ambitious budget,  guaranteed to be a great cinematic experience comes out smashing and gets the worldwide record, that would be the greatest phenomenon since Avatar. I mean, he would only hold the crown for like 1 year, but I would be genuinely happy for Nolan.

Not gonna happen though, not in this global market, at this point in time.

Inception kicked off the 2010's decade with a bang, let's hope Tenet does the same for 2020s.

i'm all for Original Nolan to reach unimaginable heights. Then we'll have a real fight, between fans of real visionaries. Nolanites vs Cameronites. Whoever loses, epic meltdown is guaranteed. :stirthepot:

• Astonished 1

51 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

i'm all for Original Nolan to reach unimaginable heights. Then we'll have a real fight, between fans of real visionaries. Nolanites vs Cameronites. Whoever loses, epic meltdown is guaranteed. :stirthepot:

I think most Cameron fans love Nolan as well, the opposite is probably less true. Stanning for Nolan is boring to me though, everyone loves him anyway lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alexdube said:

I think most Cameron fans love Nolan as well, the opposite is probably less true. Stanning for Nolan is boring to me though, everyone loves him anyway lol

This. Also Dunkirk was too low-key “craftsman Nolan” rather than “wildly ambitious Nolan” to generate any fan wars.

11 hours ago, Valonqar said:

your move @JamesCameronScholar :popcorn:

16B as IronJimbo pointed out. That's using T2 as the measure. 

10 hours ago, Hydrogen said:

They're cowards Hydrogen... or don't believe the nonsense they spout. 

9 hours ago, cdsacken said:

I wasn't on the site yet.

You weren't here when Alita came out? Your profile says your account is 3 years old. 

8 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

Okay, so then nobody knows a single thing about the deal or what is in place for Disney and Cameron, got it!   

That's right Wang. Nobodies know nothing about the deal. 

6 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

This. Also Dunkirk was too low-key “craftsman Nolan” rather than “wildly ambitious Nolan” to generate any fan wars.

I'm not really a huge Nolan fan if I'm honest. I admire his dedication, but he doesn't even come close to Jim's level of commitment - I read he doesn't even edit his own films? Is that right? 

talking about AMA with JC

Hi Mr. Cameron I love your work you're an inspiration. can I ask: what has been your favorite film this year?

This year, 2014, I haven't seen that much that inspired me yet. My favorite film of last year, hands down, was Gravity, and I was hoping it would win best picture, but certainly happy that my friend Alfonso Cuaron won best director. I did think that this new Captain America was an interesting film for its genre, in that it tackled this idea of digital surveillance and the kind of dark side of our hyperconnected society.

-----
  • Astonished 3

1 hour ago, JimiQ said:

talking about AMA with JC

Hi Mr. Cameron I love your work you're an inspiration. can I ask: what has been your favorite film this year?

This year, 2014, I haven't seen that much that inspired me yet. My favorite film of last year, hands down, was Gravity, and I was hoping it would win best picture, but certainly happy that my friend Alfonso Cuaron won best director. I did think that this new Captain America was an interesting film for its genre, in that it tackled this idea of digital surveillance and the kind of dark side of our hyperconnected society.

-----

i just remembered that AMA!

man, the way JC replay to these questions is awesome, with detailed answers, he is such a nice guy

actually he is one of my favorite directors of all time.

Edited by Permanent Magnet
  • Like 5