CJohn

Toy Story 4 | June 20, 2019 | 6th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

One thing to keep in mind here is that TS3 may have left a lot of money on the table back in the day. It came at the height of 3D saturation and also the height of the 3D backlash. Audiences were burned on terrible Alice and Clash of the Titans post-conversions, and had quickly soured on 3D. I remember there being a ton of reports that summer of people not being able to find 2D showings of the 3D released blockbusters, and not going as a result. Particularly with TS3 since it was a family film and most didn't want to pay 3D prices for 4-6 people. The point being, the established ceiling for this franchise could be a decent bit higher than the 480 adjusted of TS3. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

One thing to keep in mind here is that TS3 may have left a lot of money on the table back in the day. It came at the height of 3D saturation and also the height of the 3D backlash. Audiences were burned on terrible Alice and Clash of the Titans post-conversions, and had quickly soured on 3D. I remember there being a ton of reports that summer of people not being able to find 2D showings of the 3D released blockbusters, and not going as a result. Particularly with TS3 since it was a family film and most didn't want to pay 3D prices for 4-6 people. The point being, the established ceiling for this franchise could be a decent bit higher than the 480 adjusted of TS3. 

I honestly don't think I've seen a movie in 3D since Tron: Legacy... Idk how big 3D ticket sales are now but it must be a big deal if they're still selling.

4 minutes ago, superduperm said:

I honestly don't think I've seen a movie in 3D since Tron: Legacy... Idk how big 3D ticket sales are now but it must be a big deal if they're still selling.

They're not big at all, hence why you find so few screenings of them for the ones that still get 3D releases. Contrast this to summer 2010, when theaters went nuts with 3D and finding 2d ones was scarce for some movies. I seem to recall TS3 in particular being the most prominent case of scarce 2d showings. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Eh 🤷‍♂️ or we can remember that compared with Nemo and Incredibles, Toy Story has been the 3rd rung - even with kids. While the 3D issues were part of the timeframe in 2010, the film made more than 400m and trounced most of the pre release expectations if I remember correctly. Only exception being Shrek 3 opening, but Shrek at the peak of 2 and 3 was bigger than almost everything Pixar has ever put out. 

10 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Eh 🤷‍♂️ or we can remember that compared with Nemo and Incredibles, Toy Story has been the 3rd rung - even with kids. While the 3D issues were part of the timeframe in 2010, the film made more than 400m and trounced most of the pre release expectations if I remember correctly. Only exception being Shrek 3 opening, but Shrek at the peak of 2 and 3 was bigger than almost everything Pixar has ever put out. 

:kitschjob:

All three of the Toy Story films were much bigger than the first Incredibles. I2's explosion was a whole ton of perfect factors that have been stated in depth many times, but TS was certainly never Pixar's "third rung". Maybe Nemo was slightly more popular than TS has ever been with kids, but even that's debatable if you look at their pop culture impact and relevance. 

Edited by MovieMan89

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

All three of the Toy Story films were much bigger than the first Incredibles. I2's explosion was a whole ton of perfect factors that have been stated in depth many times, but TS was certainly never Pixar's "third rung". Maybe Nemo was slightly more popular than TS has ever been with kids, but even that's debatable if you look at their pop culture impact and relevance. 

Dont argue with known facts man.... seriously previous to TS3 what Sequel was asked for? It certainly wasnt TS3. This is where not having the old mojo forums to view does a disservice because when TS3 was announced and not TI2, there was a fit, especially in the Disney fan community. Box office yes, TS was higherish, but in impact it was definitely Incredibles as of the last decade plus. 

Hence why TI2 did what it did when it finally debuted. Perfect circumstances, sure but the demand and legacy were there. Same with Dory. 

As one who prefers TS over the rest I can understand wanting to argue in its favor, but TS is/ was definitely 3rd rung which is nothing to sneeze at or be ashamed of. 

6 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Dont argue with known facts man.... seriously previous to TS3 what Sequel was asked for? It certainly wasnt TS3. This is where not having the old mojo forums to view does a disservice because when TS3 was announced and not TI2, there was a fit, especially in the Disney fan community. Box office yes, TS was higherish, but in impact it was definitely Incredibles as of the last decade plus. 

Hence why TI2 did what it did when it finally debuted. Perfect circumstances, sure but the demand and legacy were there. Same with Dory. 

As one who prefers TS over the rest I can understand wanting to argue in its favor, but TS is/ was definitely 3rd rung which is nothing to sneeze at or be ashamed of. 

I grew up with the original Toy Story, Finding Nemo and Incredibles (born in 1988). Take it from me, Toy Story was the biggest thing that came from Pixar. Incredibles 2 was so big last year because it tied in perfectly with today's superhero fad. Not saying that's the ONLY reason, but it was a perfect storm.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I grew up with the original Toy Story, Finding Nemo and Incredibles (born in 1988). Take it from me, Toy Story was the biggest thing that came from Pixar. Incredibles 2 was so big last year because it tied in perfectly with today's superhero fad. Not saying that's the ONLY reason, but it was a perfect storm.

And I acknowledge and get that - it was definitely a perfect storm last summer, only gripe by some being its legs not being big enough lol. The same arguments could also be used for why Incredibles 1 didnt do as big at the box office and why its reputation held so well over the 14 years. 

I grew up with Toy Story as well and as I said its my favorite of the three, but we do a disservice to not recognize what Nemo / Incredibles did for the same age group nearly a decade later. Younger siblings were all about nemo and Incredibles as were their friends. Its an element that some of us here as adults / in the adult crowd miss or dont consider and why the comparisons with TI2 for box office are not only bad, but frankly of no value. 

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Toy Story was,,and might still be....Pixar's trademark franchise. Anybody talking about it being third rung does not know what the hell they are talking about.

I notice that a lot of these people seem to be over the top Incredibles fans Not surprising, give the heave Comic Book Geek presence here.

Edited by dudalb

1 minute ago, DAR said:

Have they said 

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

They used archival recordings of Don Rickles, and spliced and edited the audio for all of his dialogue.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-toy-story-4-don-rickles-mr-potato-head-rex-20190619-story.html

• Like 7