Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

I don't think most of you guys are on the right track.

I've never had any doubts in Scott. But when he's saddled with a second-rate story, as with Lindelof's Prometheus - there's not much even he can do.

And I'm afraid it's going to be the same here. As far as I know the book is self published (crap?), and is mainly liked by the unwashed masses because of its... sassy language (a part of which we were treated to in the trailer).

This worries me - but if the movie is weak (hopefully not) this will NOT be Ridley's fault.

Mark my words.

I don't think most of you guys are on the right track.

I've never had any doubts in Scott. But when he's saddled with a second-rate story, as with Lindelof's Prometheus - there's not much even he can do.

And I'm afraid it's going to be the same here. As far as I know the book is self published (crap?), and is mainly liked by the unwashed masses because of its... sassy language (a part of which we were treated to in the trailer).

This worries me - but if the movie is weak (hopefully not) this will NOT be Ridley's fault.

Mark my words.

The book is extremely entertaining, Shay. If Goddard and Scott screw up the adaptation, it's on them.

• Like 2

As far as I know the book is self published (crap?), and is mainly liked by the unwashed masses because of its... sassy language (a part of which we were treated to in the trailer).

I don't think NASA has a hard-on for this book because of the sassy language and humor, thats just a bonus.

Edited by Ozymandias

That's reassuring.

I have almost no reason to say what I said about the book - so hopefully I'm wrong. I could dig deeper to find the truth in advance - but I prefer to be surprised (pleasantly?) when I see the movie.

Edited by Shayminator 5

I thought it was "Castaway on Mars" survival and I got some generic Red Planet shit cutting away with boring reaction shots disrupting the potential survival story. (If the trailer is of any indication about the balance of the story...I don't think you hire Chastain, Ejiofor, Daniels and the likes just for cameos in the beginning and the end). It's like Gravity constantly cutting away to Sandra Bullock's relatives, Houston engineers and random people on earth crying disrupting the tension and ruining the sensation of being stranded away all alone in the vastness of the cosmos...Oh wait, that movie was called Interstellar.

With you here. Holding out hope given Goddard adapted the novel. But, aside from the usual Scott sheen and remarkable production values, looks pretty dull. Honestly, looks like Ridley's trying what De Palma attempted years ago with Mission To Mars. No holding out much hope here. Fingers crossed that I'm proven wrong soon enough.

• Like 1

Yeah guys looks like they've abandoned the initial duo teasers plan and are putting the 3 minute CinemaCon trailer with JW this weekend. Shame because actually I would've liked a shorter more effective teaser at this point instead now I look back on this trailer.

Also I started the book... Me likey

Edited by antovolk

As far as I know the book is self published (crap?), and is mainly liked by the unwashed masses because of its... sassy language (a part of which we were treated to in the trailer).

The book was originally self-published online, and gained a sufficiently large cult following that a real publishing house took notice and brought out a dead-tree edition last year. It is decidedly not crap; it was seen as a serious contender for a Hugo award until the award committee ruled that its initial 2013 release made it ineligible this year.

• Like 2