Plain Old Tele

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword | Guy Ritchie | May 12, 2017 | Charlie Hunnam

1 minute ago, drdungbeetle said:

Wait, Excalibur was low budget?!

It was budgeted around 11m, which isn't insanely low for the time but was well below most bigger would-be epics. (RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK was considered to have a reasonable, moderate budget and that was 20m.) CONAN THE BARBARIAN was about 20m as well. CLASH OF THE TITANS was $15m. DARK CRYSTAL was $15m.

2 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

But no one's done a non-twisty version. (Honestly, the original collection of myths are broad and overlapping enough that you could do many "faithful" versions and still have very different movies.)

That was my question, a strait version would be with which book ? The french romance one I imagine ? Or a mix.

The "story" could feel long for just a movie too I imagine.

1 minute ago, Tele Came Back said:

It was budgeted around 11m, which isn't insanely low for the time but was well below most bigger would-be epics. (RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK was considered to have a reasonable, moderate budget and that was 20m.) CONAN THE BARBARIAN was about 20m as well. CLASH OF THE TITANS was $15m. DARK CRYSTAL was $15m.

Good....wow, I would've thought it had a higher budget than the other movies. My mind is now blown.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

That was my question, a strait version would be with which book ? The french romance one I imagine ? Or a mix.

There is no "one" authentic Arthur story, but doing something that feels similar in spirit to The Once and Future King would probably work.

• Like 1

Just now, Barnack said:

There's not a specific book, per se. You'd probably start with L'Morte de Arthur and go from there. Blend as little or as much Celtic mythology as seems right. In broad strokes I think EXCALIBUR had the right approach and covered what you'd expect a major "faithful" version to cover.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tele Came Back said:

There's not a specific book, per se. You'd probably start with L'Morte de Arthur and go from there. Blend as little or as much Celtic mythology as seems right. In broad strokes I think EXCALIBUR had the right approach and covered what you'd expect a major "faithful" version to cover.

So, you think the story I posted in this thread would get a higher RT score than this movie is getting?

6 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

9% ... 2 fresh and 21 rotten...I have never seen a 100 million blockbuster that performs that badly...

Fantastic  Four started out better with 3 fresh out of the first 23 -  but that then extended  to 3 out of 41...

Just now, filmlover said:

I think the better question is: will Disney keep Guy Ritchie on board to make their live-action Aladdin?

probably. this is an outlier. most of the time besides a quirk or two he's the sort of competent functional filmmaker they like for these remakes.

• Like 1