grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

4 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

It totally works here, too bad Mattel hates the song.

That and “Only the Good Die Young” are some hardcore nostalgia favorites of mine that I only realized were about sex actually until like 6 years ago

If anyone wants a baseline for this film (that I don't really see being brought up):

The initial estimates for the first version of a Barbie film floated 165M WW (90M Domestic box office + 75M INT box office). Not sure how much the size of film changed but is it a good measuring stick for this film? 

On 4/14/2023 at 4:08 PM, PlatnumRoyce said:

If anyone wants a baseline for this film (that I don't really see being brought up):

The initial estimates for the first version of a Barbie film floated 165M WW (90M Domestic box office + 75M INT box office). Not sure how much the size of film changed but is it a good measuring stick for this film? 

that seems waaaaay too low. with all the hype i see 250m dom 250 os total: 500m

Edited by Barbie

6 hours ago, Barbie said:

that seems waaaaay too low. with all the hype i see 250m dom 250 os total: 500m

Way too low for what? To clarify, those numbers appear to have come from a studio having obtaining rights to make a Barbie film but before the concrete aspects of the film were locked down. This is a real number that was aggregated from Sony hacks. We could say the budget may have potentially been lower but it really doesn't look as if current Barbie is all that expensive (even if its also not cheap). 

I agree that's way too low for Robbie-Gosling's Barbie film but I'm arguing that's highlighting how 

Barbie's having a good marketing campaign and people are confident in the film's ultimate quality. It's just an above average outcome so far. 

2 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Way too low for what? To clarify, those numbers appear to have come from a studio having obtaining rights to make a Barbie film but before the concrete aspects of the film were locked down. This is a real number that was aggregated from Sony hacks. We could say the budget may have potentially been lower but it really doesn't look as if current Barbie is all that expensive (even if its also not cheap). 

I agree that's way too low for Robbie-Gosling's Barbie film but I'm arguing that's highlighting how 

Barbie's having a good marketing campaign and people are confident in the film's ultimate quality. It's just an above average outcome so far. 

the budget is 100m. surely the studio expects AT LEAST 300m

1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

I know this is gonna sound cliche for me at this point but Oppenheimer really should've been moved from this slot by now.

This ain't gonna end well for it, even if Barbie somewhat underperforms. It will have a difficult time breaking through the Barbie marketing screen.

There is such a thing as counterprogramming. The movies are about as different as you can get. 

7 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

I’m just nervous that this movie will become another lightning rod for political discourse. Sigh. 

I mean, that's pretty much every movie these days. All we can do is hope it's good and opens big and then legs it out. Honestly, for a movie like that one, being that lightning rod might not be a bad thing.

• Like 1

Is "girl power!" really political? Feel like 99% of people support women rights. If it goes beyond that and becomes "Girl power AND men stink!" then maybe there will be some naysayers. But overall I would bet this is just fine from that POV. 

Just now, excel1 said:

Is "girl power!" really political? Feel like 99% of people support women rights. If it goes beyond that and becomes "Girl power AND men stink!" then maybe there will be some naysayers. But overall I would bet this is just fine from that POV. 

It’s going to be overtly about gender politics based on test screening tea and insiders like Grace Randolph. 

3 hours ago, excel1 said:

A bunch of reactionary Internet personalities called the Mario movie “woke” for not making Peach a helpless damsel in distress, although many of those people did a 180 after the movie was a big hit. 

• Like 5

The Mario discourse has been the funniest, dumbest shit. First the MAGA crowd called it feminist propaganda because the princess was girl powered up. Once it started doing well and they realized it wasn't a Disney movie and starred Chris Pratt, they changed their tune and called it a victory for anti-wokes.

It's been the perfect example of why no one should pay any attention to these clowns.

• Like 7