grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

that reaction says the movie is fun and also smart ("yet self aware") and full of ideas and unventive things. Some times some of these things can seems like "too much".

that's what i read. So it seems a very postive reaction. The fact the journalist wrote that is more cause it's Time and they don't want their articles to sound like just PR things. 

The article is really interesting. 

The most interesting part is: 

"But anytime I get too deep into references or the politics of this film with Gerwig or the actors, I’m quickly reminded by an executive or a producer that it’s a fun summer romp.

And it is, in part. It’s a mashup of corporate ambition and personal quirk. Perhaps that’s a triumph in an era when movies about products are en vogue

Also

Still, in an interview for this story, Brenner called Gerwig’s film “not a feminist movie,” a sentiment echoed by other Mattel executives I spoke with. It was a striking contrast to my interpretation of the film and conversations with many of the actors, who used that term unprompted to describe the script. When I relay Mattel’s words to Robbie, she raises an eyebrow. “Who said that?” she asks then sighs. “It’s not that it is or it isn’t. It’s a movie. It’s a movie that’s got so much in it.” The bigger point, Robbie impresses upon me, is “we’re in on the joke. This isn’t a Barbie puff piece.”

seems like the producers doesn't want the backlash from the conservative beard guys before the movie comes 😆

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah is Jordan, he’s awful and he’s very obviously rooting for this to fail because he hates everything that is “woke” 

Still in this case he’s just posting a direct quote from the article, that is the first official reaction indeed so i post it

From the comments section it does seems like that kind of internet space.

But I don't really get what he meant by first "honest" reaction. It's a general impression by a writer who is writing a feature article on the movie. If anything it is not honest, lol. The writer is probably looking to sound professional without giving much of what she has to say about the movie? And I can't imagine Stephanie Zacharek not reviewing this for TIMES anyway.

Plus does he also mean that the previous screening reports from his "sources" are also dishonest?

I dunno. This movie could be bad for all I know, but it's kind of funny to follow his coverage as you said, rooting for it to fail.

• Like 1

you should read all the article

this movie is not getting 80-90 on metacritic and it's not getting 50. It's gonna get decent reviews.

Also the movie IS NOT gonna be divisive for the audience. From what is written in the article Mattel and studio control has been there. 

Ruimy is trying to sell this narrative where this movie it's gonna be strange and like even disturbing. LOL no, from the article it's clear it's gonna be just fun and crowd pleasing 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I mean, sure, but like...how do you derive a score from two sentences calling the film "fun and filled with ideas albeit occasionally overwhelmed by them"?

I don’t, is a figure of speech, i just didn’t find it all that excited like junket people normal write, it doesn’t mean anything (as i also said). 

Please get over it

Just now, vale9001 said:

this movie is not getting 80-90 on metacritic and it's not getting 50. It's gonna get decent reviews.

Also the movie IS NOT gonna be divisive for the audience. From what is written in the article Mattel and studio control has been there. 

Ruimy it's trying to sell this narrative where this movie it's gonna be strange and like disturbing. LOL no, it's gonna be just fun and crowd pleasing 

I’m expecting Nope type of reviews (76-77 on MC), which is the perfect score tbh 

Not consensus so hardly something inoffensive enough to not piss some people off, but also not mediocre 

7 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Ruimy is trying to sell this narrative where this movie it's gonna be strange and like even disturbing. LOL no, from the article it's clear it's gonna be just fun and crowd pleasing 

I remember a couple of days ago there was a fan screening event or something, before the junkets, and Ruimy was selling that as some kind of rotten scheme from WB to get some quote whores first reactions online that same night. Of course that wasn't what that screening was. He just seems so trying with this movie.

I wondered if someone pointed a gun to his head when he first had to publish those positive test screening results (real or fake?) back in March or something, before he scrambled to find a negative one from reddit.

45 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I’m expecting Nope type of reviews (76-77 on MC), which is the perfect score tbh 

Not consensus so hardly something inoffensive enough to not piss some people off, but also not mediocre 

maybe  something less, something around dune maybe. I think anything under 70 on MC could be disappointing. Anything more for a commercial summer comedy would be already very good imo. 

Let's not forget Elvis got 64 last summer and then everyone ( i mean both academies and the audience) loved it.

Edited by vale9001

I mean we have discussed on how much warner is investing on this movie also in terms of marketing.

Do you really think they're really doing this when they have on their hands a movie left audience so shocked and down mood in the screenings as someone tries to sell?. 

It's clear they have a movie they think can be very liked from people going to buy a tickets for a movie called barbie. 

Edited by vale9001

32 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I mean we have discussed on how much warner is investing on this movie also in terms of marketing.

Do you really think they're really doing this when they have on their hands a movie left audience so shocked and down mood in the screenings as someone tries to sell?. 

It's clear they have a movie they think can be very liked from people going to buy a tickets for a movie called barbie. 

I would imagine Barbie benefitted from tie-ins so a lot of the marketing spend is also brand partnerships much like how Bond films have tie-ins with major brands. 

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

that reaction says the movie is fun and also smart ("yet self aware") and full of ideas and unventive things. Some times some of these things can seems like "too much".

that's what i read. So it seems a very postive reaction. The fact the journalist wrote that is more cause it's Time and they don't want their articles to sound like just PR things. 

The article is really interesting. 

The most interesting part is: 

"But anytime I get too deep into references or the politics of this film with Gerwig or the actors, I’m quickly reminded by an executive or a producer that it’s a fun summer romp.

And it is, in part. It’s a mashup of corporate ambition and personal quirk. Perhaps that’s a triumph in an era when movies about products are en vogue

Also

Still, in an interview for this story, Brenner called Gerwig’s film “not a feminist movie,” a sentiment echoed by other Mattel executives I spoke with. It was a striking contrast to my interpretation of the film and conversations with many of the actors, who used that term unprompted to describe the script. When I relay Mattel’s words to Robbie, she raises an eyebrow. “Who said that?” she asks then sighs. “It’s not that it is or it isn’t. It’s a movie. It’s a movie that’s got so much in it.” The bigger point, Robbie impresses upon me, is “we’re in on the joke. This isn’t a Barbie puff piece.”

seems like the producers doesn't want the backlash from the conservative beard guys before the movie comes 😆

Backlash from those people is unavoidable anyway. They should just be thankful this isn’t a Disney film. 

14 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Also it's possible Mattel is splitting promotional costs. I don't remember any other WBD film have anywhere near this level of promotional blitz under Miser Zazzy's regime.

I'll take a guess that Mattel is doing what Rovio did with Angry Birds, and, to a lesser extent, what Lego did with the Lego Movie. They both promote the movie, but the toy company keeps all or as much of the merchandise revenue that they can.

Been on my mind for a few weeks, but honestly this feels like the female Joker. Everyone skeptical that it's gonna make money at the start, an IP film without any action, huge online presence, heavily targeted towards one gender, and one of WB's most effective marketing campaigns since TDK. Even can see a similar OW to Joker happen at this point.

• Like 2

The Barbie fans are going to be so upset when this film doesn’t do well with the critics. As I’ve stated numerous times apparently WB is scared by how bad this film is and a few of the early screenings stated that and that families actually walked out. This film has a huge fan base I’ll give it that. But even if it does amazingly well it’s first week WOM will be awful for this film.

Edited by joselowe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 3

1 minute ago, joselowe said:

The Barbie fans are going to be so upset when this film doesn’t do well with the critics. As I’ve stated numerous times apparently WB is scared by how bad this film is and a few of the early screenings stated that and that families actually walked out. This film has a huge fan base I’ll give it that. But even if it does amazingly well it’s first week WOM will be awful for this film.

Wrong.