grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

13 hours ago, Krissykins said:

The tweets are really getting a lot of likes on Twitter. There’s a Margot BTS pic that’s a meme already lol

Even Regal, one of the biggest chains in the country, is already promoting it by sharing the pap pics on their Twitter. Unheard of lol. This is already shaping up to be one of the events of next summer. 

• Like 1

I'll still keep my expectations tempered and assume this is going to be another Detective Pikachu. That movie was similarly popular with meme culture yet still underperformed. I'm also expecting this to be very meta, and we all found out how the GA feels about such movies when Matrix 4 blew up in Warner's face.

I dunno, this whole project still reminds me of the Dora movie. They're taking a property that has almost exclusively appealed to 5-year-old girls since Day 1, got some major creative talents behind it that make film nerds go "whaaaa" (yes I know Greta's bigger/more talented than Nicholas Stoller), and is trying to aim itself towards a broader, older audience, with nobody showing up at the end. 20/30somethings wouldn't be caught dead watching a movie with "Barbie" in the title, parents of little little kids would think it's "too mature" compared to the Barbie animated movies, grade school kids have other options (and for boys, they'll get picked on to death for liking it). It's a movie for people on Twitter to gawk at, but nobody will actually bother seeing it in theaters.

Should still do better than Dora of course, but this is destined to be a movie that will only gross like 75M, and we all scratch our heads wondering "wha happun?"

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Eric Presley said:

I dunno, this whole project still reminds me of the Dora movie. They're taking a property that has almost exclusively appealed to 5-year-old girls since Day 1, got some major creative talents behind it that make film nerds go "whaaaa" (yes I know Greta's bigger/more talented than Nicholas Stoller), and is trying to aim itself towards a broader, older audience, with nobody showing up at the end. 20/30somethings wouldn't be caught dead watching a movie with "Barbie" in the title, parents of little little kids would think it's "too mature" compared to the Barbie animated movies, grade school kids have other options (and for boys, they'll get picked on to death for liking it). It's a movie for people on Twitter to gawk at, but nobody will actually bother seeing it in theaters.

Should still do better than Dora of course, but this is destined to be a movie that will only gross like 75M, and we all scratch our heads wondering "wha happun?"

Who is Nicholas Stoller and did anyone go "whu??" When that person was announced to be making Dora? The only name which had got people confused initially was Michael Bay before he denied being involved.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'll still keep my expectations tempered and assume this is going to be another Detective Pikachu. That movie was similarly popular with meme culture yet still underperformed. I'm also expecting this to be very meta, and we all found out how the GA feels about such movies when Matrix 4 blew up in Warner's face.

that wasn't a movie with Ryan Gosling and Margot robbie directed by Greta Gerwig. It's not all about the memes. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Who is Nicholas Stoller and did anyone go "whu??" When that person was announced to be making Dora? The only name which had got people confused initially was Michael Bay before he denied being involved.

Guy who directed Forgetting Sarah Marshall and the Neighbors movies and the upcoming Bros with Billy Eichner. Obviously he's no Greta, and he's done stuff like The Muppets and Storks, but I still took a mild double take when I saw his name attached.

12 minutes ago, Eric Presley said:

This is destined to get infinitely more press coverage than the Dora movie given the insane amount of talent involved (both in front and behind the camera) though. It would be a safe bet that this is going to be the movie on EW's What's Coming in 2023 edition near the end of the year. It feels like every other photo released from the set gains attention in the media, so there's clearly some interest as to what direction they're taking this in. Next summer's also going to be low on product aimed largely towards females aside from The Little Mermaid (which will also be sold to a broader audience between nostalgia/the Disney brand + the names involved), so it shouldn't have much difficulty capitalizing on all of that for a $30-40M opening plus strong legs for the rest of the summer if the movie delivers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Is Oppenheimer - a period, talky movie presumably aimed at adults - expected to make lots of money? I know its budget is a reported hundred million (god knows how) but that's not exactly much by Nolan standards and Universal probably see it as a price worth paying to have a working relationship with him.

But he's obsessed with box office so he definitely wants a #1 debut and Barbie is Warner so I bet he don't want to lose against it in particular 😇

Edited by vale9001

3 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Is Oppenheimer - a period, talky movie presumably aimed at adults - expected to make lots of money? I know its budget is a reported hundred million (god knows how) but that's not exactly much by Nolan standards and Universal probably see it as a price worth paying to have a working relationship with him.

I have no idea how the film is going to do for the reasons you state. Yes, it has an all-star cast + a bunch of former teen heartthrobs, but IDK what it is going to have in terms of action unless they show clips of Pearl Harbor or D-Day etc.

The Brady Bunch Movie adjusted is like 98m.. I really don't see why this would flop or disappoint unless the expectations are just too overwhelming/quality isn't there (unlikely considering all involved). I don't see it being "confusing" or a turn-off for audiences the way, say, Baywatch was. This just seems like a fun Barbie movie? And I don't think it being "Barbie" is detrimental. Obviously not the same, but feels like a Lego Movie situation

7 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

When has meta been a disadvantage? 21 Jump Street movies, Lego Movie, etc.

Matrix 4 flopped for multiple reasons. HBO MAX, Christmas release, Wachowskis becoming increasingly un-audience friendly, confused marketing. 

11 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I think hes probably got enough fans that will show up for anything he does, otherwise this would be doomed to Northman numbers at the boxoffice.

Just now, Ozymandias said:

I think hes probably got enough fans that will show up for anything he does, otherwise this would be doomed to Northman numbers at the boxoffice.

Northman numbers are insane lol. At worst, it would be like 70-80ish in a historical Spielberg type of way. But I do think there might be something off about this and not at the level of traditional Nolan spectacle despite the usage of IMAX. Can't say until we get a trailer

25 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Considering the bag he secured from Universal, they certainly think Nolan is a marquee name.