grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

Cannes is really lucky. They have been slammed years for their tolerant attitude over controversial stars like Polanski, Depp. Now they can rebrand themselves by someone who proved herself in both public and art side. They will get way bigger attention next year.

18 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Glad to see the Oscars has better category fraud prevention than the Emmys and Golden Globes 

Good, the "Original" move was about avoiding the more competitive category this year. IMO if Barbie had come out in 2022, they'd have happily campaigned as an Adapted Screenplay all along.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

I'll be here dying on my hill that an original movie based on some toys is obviously adapted is kinda ridiculous, while every real life story adaptation not based on a specific book is automatically original. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I'll be here dying on my hill that an original movie based on some toys is obviously adapted is kinda ridiculous, while every real life story adaptation not based on a specific book is automatically original. 

I've similar doubts about Barbie movie being considered an Adapted Screenplay. There is a toy, but the screenplay isn't based on any other story.

That said, some movies could be extremely loose adaptation from the original books (a few only having the name in common). So, Adapted Screenplay could be pretty ope

Now, if a movie based in a toy is Adapted Screenplay, real life story movies should definitely be Adapted Screenplay too.

They do nominate movies based on real life figures in Adapted from time to time, they just happen to be based on bestselling books in that case.

Barbie being established IP as a money-making empire that's been around forever makes this development not particularly surprising since the established IP is why this movie exists. It's the same reason, say, Toy Story 3 was nominated for Adapted even though it's technically an "original" screenplay.

The movie is an adaptation of a doll. This is a film about the cultural, societal, and feminist impact of said doll. If the doll did not exist, there would be no movie. It's an adaptation, so it should go into Adapted Screenplay.

• Like 1

If a movie written with its character name and design from an existing fictional character like Barbie and Ken, borrow its fictional setting as its world-building, it does fit the definition of an adaptation. Unlike some historical drama like king speech or green book, those aren’t characters, they are real life figure. 

• Like 3

There's just as much lore behind the Barbie brand as any iconic comic book hero. Even the basic idea of the main two characters—the perfect blonde Barbie with a Dream House, plus her accessory boyfriend Ken—was a creation of actual people who worked at Mattel, not to mention the other Barbieland characters, Kens, Allan, Midge, etc. Some of the backstories are straight from the toy box or ads.

Gerwig and Baumbach brought a lot of creativity to the project, but having 60+ years of the Barbie world's preexisting backstory (an invention of other people who were paid to come up with it) helped fill in many of the blanks. I doubt anyone was thinking about an Original Screenplay campaign when it was decided to give a "based on" credit to Barbie by Mattel, or they made the initial creator of Barbie a character in the movie. IMO they didn't try an Original Screenplay campaign out of principle but because Adapted is the tougher category this awards season (the reverse was true last year).

With a biopic, it can be argued that life isn't inherently a fictional creation the way that Barbie or Batman are, though I guess it can be. Maybe all biopics should go into an Adapted category (and some already do if they are based on a specific book, like Oppenheimer).

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

My two cents when it comes to biopics is that if the biopic is doing its own thing with the true story it’s based on, then it should qualify under original screenplay, but if it much of its material is pulled from a book like with Oppenheimer and Killers of the Flower Moon, then it’s fair game to consider it an adapted screenplay. 

Anyway, yeah, there’s no reason a movie based on a doll should be nominated as an original screenplay. 

4 hours ago, Eric Owns Mickey Mouse said:

The movie is an adaptation of a doll. This is a film about the cultural, societal, and feminist impact of said doll. If the doll did not exist, there would be no movie. It's an adaptation, so it should go into Adapted Screenplay.

So then any movie about any person that existed should be adapted. But that's not the case.