grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Taking down Deathly Hallows 2 to be WB's biggest movie ever

7 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Amy Schumer going online and confronting the trolls would be more entertaining than this entire movie.
It would make the Ghostbusters thing look like a walk in the park.

This. Seriously.

10 minutes ago, PatrickvD said:

This is either going to be an insane cult classic or a complete piece of crap. There is no middle ground.

This is always one of the most confounding, utterly perplexing type of comments people make, and it is so because it is incredibly hyperbolic. It could very much end up being a middle ground...not to mention that cult classic and piece of crap are not mutually exclusive terms. The film could be a complete piece of crap that becomes an insanely loved cult classic...or it could be a piece of crap that becomes a huge box office smash...or it could be a critically acclaimed popcorn masterpiece that either ends up a cult classic or a huge hit. SO many things could happen. Remember when people said "this will be either a huge blockbuster of a gigantic flop; no middle ground" about Ghostbusters (2016) and then neither one happened? It ended up being a middle-ground performer both critically and comercially...

• Like 3

I don't really get the backlash to this. According to the synopsis she's kicked out of barbie land for not fitting it. It makes sense that she was cast..... It seems to be a comedy poking fun at Barbie's image. 

However was that always the plot because they were looking at Margot Robbie before... 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Cochofles said:

This is always one of the most confounding, utterly perplexing type of comments people make, and it is so because it is incredibly hyperbolic. It could very much end up being a middle ground...not to mention that cult classic and piece of crap are not mutually exclusive terms. The film could be a complete piece of crap that becomes an insanely loved cult classic...or it could be a piece of crap that becomes a huge box office smash...or it could be a critically acclaimed popcorn masterpiece that either ends up a cult classic or a huge hit. SO many things could happen. Remember when people said "this will be either a huge blockbuster of a gigantic flop; no middle ground" about Ghostbusters (2016) and then neither one happened? It ended up being a middle-ground performer both critically and comercially...

Critically? Absolutely

Commercially? I disagree. $230 mil is not good for a $144 million movie. However, it could eventually break even with streaming given a few years

given the plot it makes even more sense that Schumer was cast, but if she's also involved in the writing process, I don't want her to repeat her materials that she already used for her standups, talk show gigs, Inside Amy Schumer AND Trainwreck.. her materials were only good until they got too repetitive. "Hey look at me! I'm a Long Island trash and my arms are registered as legs in this Barbie world" still like Schumer tho.

Another actress that I thought of when I heard of this project was Anna Faris, then I remembered she already DID this which was House Bunny.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, yjs said:

given the plot it makes even more sense that Schumer was cast, but if she's also involved in the writing process, I don't want her to repeat her materials that she already used for her standups, talk show gigs, Inside Amy Schumer AND Trainwreck.. her materials were only good until they got too repetitive. "Hey look at me! I'm a Long Island trash and my arms are registered as legs in this Barbie world" still like Schumer tho.

Another actress that I thought of when I heard of this project was Anna Faris, then I remembered she already DID this which was House Bunny.

Anna Farris is really funny, but yeah, casting Schumer makes more sense when you read that the plot is about a doll who is banished from Barbie World for not fitting in. Farris is a small-and-pretty gal who could certainly portray a regular Barbie.  Also, if this movie is officially sanctioned by Mattel, I doubt that they will allow Schumer's doll to be trashy, prone to drinking and sleeping around, etc. Her being a pariah will most likely be limited to her size and her "ugly" (for Barbie's ridiculously unrealistic standards) looks.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 2