Fancyarcher

The BFG (Spielberg Attached to Direct) July 1, 2016

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The weekend of June 10 doesn't look that strong to be honest. The Conjuring 2 could very well be another The Ring 2 (although that opened over $30M so), Warcraft looks like an obvious flop, and Now You See Me 2 seems like yet another unnecessary sequel no one asked for and most won't care about.

Annabelle was able to do a little under 40M on OW, Conjuring 2 will have no problem doing over 50 and 60 is a real possibility.

12 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

You too!!!!!!!!!

:redcapes: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatOneGuy said:

Tintin was pretty much unknown to American audiences.  The BFG is much more well known

Also, Tintin didn't have Disney, the writer of ET, or an actor fresh off an Oscar win

Are you sure? The BFG isn't one of Dahl's most famous works.

2 hours ago, ThatOneGuy said:

Tintin was pretty much unknown to American audiences.  The BFG is much more well known

Also, Tintin didn't have Disney, the writer of ET, or an actor fresh off an Oscar win

I don't think either of those things will really help The BFG.

That being said, as long as this film is properly marketed, and gets good review, I can see it being a hit, as is the case with a lot of films. 

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Its not? What's more well known outside of Charlie and the chocolate factory?

I'd say Fantastic Mr. Fox, and James and The Giant Peach are pretty well-known, even if their film adaptation didn't do all that well, financially. 

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is the most well known thanks to the Gene Wilder and Johnny Depp films but there is a stage musical produced by WB which has been successful in London and is going to Broadway next year. Matilda likewise is known because of the film and the stage musical. 

Id love to see a film version of The Twits. I believe Disney had the rights at one point. 

The BFG looks pretty faithful to the book which hasn't been the case in the past for many Dahl novels. 

June July as a whole look massive, it isn't just BFG that may suffer. Seriously, let's look at those 2 months. (These are just my predictions)

Turtles 2 - $60M OW

Me Before You - $20M OW

Warcraft - $35M OW

NYSM2 - $25M OW

Conjuring 2 - $52M OW 

Dory - $140M OW

Central Intelligence - $35M OW

ID4 - $90M OW

Purge - $25M OW

BFG - $40M OW

Tarzan - $50M OW

Pets - $65M OW

Mike and Dave - $20M OW 

Ghostbusters - $40M

Ice Age - $37M OW

Star Trek - $65M OW

Bourne - $65M OW

A LOT of mid level hits. It's really going to turn into a bloodbath where the well received ones will do fine, all others will collapse after opening weekend.

• Like 1

It's not a traditional Disney project, they co-financed it and are distributing it in the US and select OS territories but in many places, it's local distributors that DreamWorks deal with like eOne who are handling it so Disney aren't going to benefit from OS money if it does well in places like the UK but I think the budget is $120m which is Spielberg's highest budget since Tintin and that was made by Paramount and Sony. 

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

June July as a whole look massive, it isn't just BFG that may suffer. Seriously, let's look at those 2 months. (These are just my predictions)

Turtles 2 - $60M OW 65M

Me Before You - $20M OW 10M

Warcraft - $35M OW 25M

NYSM2 - $25M OW

Conjuring 2 - $52M OW 60M

Dory - $140M OW 130M

Central Intelligence - $35M OW

ID4 - $90M OW 80M

Purge - $25M OW 35M

BFG - $40M OW 30M

Tarzan - $50M OW 30M

Pets - $65M OW 75M

Mike and Dave - $20M OW 10M

Ghostbusters - $40M 35M

Ice Age - $37M OW 40M

Star Trek - $65M OW

Bourne - $65M OW 70M

A LOT of mid level hits. It's really going to turn into a bloodbath where the well received ones will do fine, all others will collapse after opening weekend.

My predictions bolded. I'm really close to your's on a lot. This isn't even including SS Pete's Dragon and Sausage Party

• Like 2