Fancyarcher

The BFG (Spielberg Attached to Direct) July 1, 2016

2 minutes ago, ThatOneGuy said:

You guys are overestimating conjuring 2.  It's gonna drop off from the first.  I expect reviews to be mediocre too

Conjuring has everything going for it:

1. Outside of PPZ horror movies have been overperforming this year

2. The Conjuring is regarded as one of the best horror movies in recent years and had absurd legs

3. Annabelle was able to manage a 37M OW as a spinoff

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jayhawk said:

The DOM total could drop, but OW should be bigger, due to the good will from the first. 50m is definitely possible.

I think Annabelle pretty much used up a ton of that goodwill to make as much as it did. Without that film's existence, I would be less skeptical about the sequel's prospects.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Conjuring has everything going for it:

1. Outside of PPZ horror movies have been overperforming this year

2. The Conjuring is regarded as one of the best horror movies in recent years and had absurd legs

3. Annabelle was able to manage a 37M OW as a spinoff

im not arguing against a high opening but i see there being very weak legs

2 hours ago, CJohn said:
I have a hard time seeing this doing 100M. What is the budget? I assume 200M because Disney must Disney.

It's a Dreamworks production distributed by Disney. Like The Help and War Horse.

Their partnership will end with this film.

It's very possible Disney is dumping it because of that.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Goffe said:

It's a Dreamworks production distributed by Disney. Like The Help and War Horse.

Their partniship will end with this movies.

It's very possible Disney is dumping it because of that.

I think Disney saw a lot of potential in putting the Disney brand in front of the movie hence why they've co-financed it, DreamWorks isn't being credited for this film only Amblin. 

Just now, Water Bottle said:

I don't know. There is legit hype for NYSM2.

I felt a bit of anticipation for the first one, but this doesn't seem to be exceeding it at least yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it opens on par with the first NYSM, but anything more would be a genuine pleasant surprise.

11 hours ago, Joel M said:

For me Spielberg's turning point was 2002. After the Minority-Catch me If you Can combo most things he has done is "just fine". His good movies are not really good enough to get me excited and his "bad" ones not really bad enough to stick out, just forgettable. I don't think he is "finished" and I'll still watch anything he makes but I'm way less excited about whatever his new movie is, than I was 10 years ago.

I find post Minority Report, well actually post Private Ryan I'd say...he's a made a lot of very interesting, challenging films with great filmmaking...but tends to not stick the landing.  Except Indy 4, Ther Terminal, and War Horse.  Blah on all three.

Hes still one of the most interesting big budget filmmakers out there.

1 hour ago, kowhite said:

I find post Minority Report, well actually post Private Ryan I'd say...he's a made a lot of very interesting, challenging films with great filmmaking...but tends to not stick the landing.  Except Indy 4, Ther Terminal, and War Horse.  Blah on all three.

Hes still one of the most interesting big budget filmmakers out there.

He's the right director for this type of film, this and Ready Player One I'm confident are going to turn out well. 

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

He's the right director for this type of film, this and Ready Player One I'm confident are going to turn out well. 

I have faith too.  Spielberg is at worst, a still very interesting filmmaker.  He has the clout to do unique things in the big budget space.

Though one thing...he cannot, cannot light Indy 5 the way he usually does.  Please don't make that movie look like that.  It's not right for Indy.  Indy isn't blue.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, kowhite said:

So the story...is it good?

And...how big is the gun in this story?

It's adorably cute. (I haven't read it in forever.) It's deliberately aimed at a younger reader, who's just getting into the habit of books -- so the Giants have a really goofy way of talking and all sorts of mashed-up words that're hilarious when you're a kid. 

P.S. The gun is huge.

• Like 2