CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

That's basic Hero's Journey stuff though. How does JA sound any different from the Matrix in its broad strokes? Trinity was definitely a superhero with some chosen one/hidden powers crap to Reeve's character. Wonder if Sean Bean is the films Morpheus/Obi Wan/Gandalf.

Did Matrix have elf ears?Yeah, didn't think so.

It is unfortunate to know that it is very possible that after SM1 was the first film to break the 40m in one day barrier, there could never be another 40m day for a Spider-Man film. All three Raimi films did it.

But, as I said, this "fatigue" does not mean the TASM series is horrible...just not good enough to overcome the fatique started when people started realizing that SM3 was nowhere as good as the first two films. Batman Begins couldn't overcome the fatigue initiated by Batman & Robin during its run, but after it hit video, cable, etc, it and TDK finally did. This was due to it being a groundbreaking concept...SH films that seemed actually possible. TASM and TASM2 were good films, just not very interesting, since other than adapting some different parts of Spidey's history and changing some origins, they didn't bring enough new to the table to warrant interest beyond those who were already interested

• Like 4

It feels awesome knowing that I just created the thread that will likely get many users banned, hundreds of gifs and tons of arguments.

LOL  Tarzan buddy. told you Godzilla was going to kill the spider :)....And to join me in Baumers under 200..Its very possible now :D...

Heh heh.. Way to go Baum for making that club..Lets see how this plays out.......God I hope Godzilla fans go insane and we see a real OW!! Yeehawwww....

Bow to the king Spiderman!!

----ON MAY 16th Everything changes and the world prepares itelf for the Ultimate Apex Predator----GODZILLA!!!

• Like 1

1). The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (SONY) 4,324 theaters / $34M to $35M Fri. / 3-day cume: $91M+ / Wk 12). The Other Woman (FOX), 3,238 theaters (+33) / $4.5M Fri. / 3-day cume: $14.5M (-41%) / Total cume: $47.7M / Wk 23). Heaven Is For Real (SONY),  2,930 theaters (+255) / $2.2M Fri. / 3-day cume: $8.1M (-43%) / Total cume: $65M / Wk 34). Captain America: The Winter Soldier (DIS), 3,179 theaters (-441) / $2M Fri. / 3-day cume: $7.6M (52%) / Total cume: $237M / Wk 55). Rio 2 (FOX), 3,314  theaters (-389) / $1.7M Fri. / 3-day cume: $7.6M (-45%) / Total cume: $106.6M / Wk 46). Brick Mansions (REL), 2,647 theaters (0) / $1.1M Fri. / 3-day cume: $3.5M (-63%) / Total cume: $15.5M / Wk 27). Divergent (LGF), 1,639 theaters (-427) / $616K Fri. / 3-day cume: $2M (-43%) / Total cume: $142.6M / Wk 78). The Quiet Ones (LGF), 2,027 theaters (0) / $657K Fri. / 3-day cume: $1.84M (-53%) / Total cume: $6.6M / Wk 29). God’s Not Dead (FREE), 1,330 theaters (-270) / $530K Fri. / 3-day cume: $1.81M (-35%) / Total cume: $55.6M / Wk 710). The Grand Budapest Hotel (FSL), 884 theaters (-137) / $477K Fri. / 3-day cume: $1.77M (-28%) / Total cume: $51.5M / Wk 9 http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/amazing-spider-man-2-box-office-opening-big-debut/

Based on that, top 10 won't make as much as IM3 made on its own. It's already behind on the 2002/2003 comparison. Edited by lab276
  • Like 1

I wonder if part of Spiderman's problem as a franchise is that they can't tread new ground or find any sort of hook to bring people into the film even if reviews are mixed.

Iron Man etc has the Avengers to work with and thus can throw in crossovers whenever they wish too if needed. They can send Iron man to Asguard, have Hulk and Cap work together, there are numerous new thing s they can do.

DC has crossover potential too, we are going to See Superman vs Batman which will draw an audience regardless of quality because its new and interesting to see. Add other characters to the mix and the whole Justice league thing and there is the hook.

Xmen is doing an old cast new cast time travel a thon which feels new and has breathed life into what had become a $150M grossing franchise and will now potentially if great even come close to 300.

Spiderman is on his own, Sony cannot do a vs film as they have no other characters. Spiderman has no iconic hero (not villain) rival they can add to make things interesting. There is no hook that can draw in the potentially fatigued other than the hook  of great reviews and WOM, which it didnt get and so its floundering.

Maybe they could try some alternate dimension concept and try to bring the Maguire Spiderman into this universe and have Spiderman vs Spiderman? That would draw crowds through being an interesting concept.... or they could just make a great film like they used too, but that idea is too farfetched :( 

• Like 4

It is unfortunate to know that it is very possible that after SM1 was the first film to break the 40m in one day barrier, there could never be another 40m day for a Spider-Man film. All three Raimi films did it.

But, as I said, this "fatigue" does not mean the TASM series is horrible...just not good enough to overcome the fatique started when people started realizing that SM3 was nowhere as good as the first two films. Batman Begins couldn't overcome the fatigue initiated by Batman & Robin during its run, but after it hit video, cable, etc, it and TDK finally did. This was due to it being a groundbreaking concept...SH films that seemed actually possible. TASM and TASM2 were good films, just not very interesting, since other than adapting some different parts of Spidey's history and changing some origins, they didn't bring enough new to the table to warrant interest beyond those who were already interested

TASM was decent.. TASM2 shows us what happens when you make a near batman and robin like film and all the money in the world is thrown at it , and your just not going to impress fans that want a Rami SM2  level film..

This one deserves all the dismal BO its  receiving. . I heard the Brazil OW is  going to be huge though.

That's basic Hero's Journey stuff though. How does JA sound any different from the Matrix in its broad strokes? Trinity was definitely a superhero with some chosen one/hidden powers crap to Reeve's character. Wonder if Sean Bean is the films Morpheus/Obi Wan/Gandalf.

Matrix mixed it up with the bullettime, the technology stuff and an interesting color palette. Jupiter Ascending looks more colorful and comic booky

You're right that it's all derivative of Hero's Journey... but there are different ways of interpreting it

I wonder if part of Spiderman's problem as a franchise is that they can't tread new ground or find any sort of hook to bring people into the film even if reviews are mixed.

Iron Man etc has the Avengers to work with and thus can throw in crossovers whenever they wish too if needed. They can send Iron man to Asguard, have Hulk and Cap work together, there are numerous new thing s they can do.

DC has crossover potential too, we are going to See Superman vs Batman which will draw an audience regardless of quality because its new and interesting to see. Add other characters to the mix and the whole Justice league thing and there is the hook.

Xmen is doing an old cast new cast time travel a thon which feels new and has breathed life into what had become a $150M grossing franchise and will now potentially if great even come close to 300.

Spiderman is on his own, Sony cannot do a vs film as they have no other characters. Spiderman has no iconic hero (not villain) rival they can add to make things interesting. There is no hook that can draw in the potentially fatigued other than the hook  of great reviews and WOM, which it didnt get and so its floundering.

Maybe they could try some alternate dimension concept and try to bring the Maguire Spiderman into this universe and have Spiderman vs Spiderman? That would draw crowds through being an interesting concept.... or they could just make a great film like they used too, but that idea is too farfetched :(

There is actually a request to sony sent out some time ago on that vary thing... I love that idea. Bring back our Spidey as part of the main universe and have Andrews Spidey be part of a similar but very different  alternate universe.

FOlks would flocks in droves to See TM and Raim back in the saddle. .Sony better do something quick, even WB is about to outshine them with a property they once screwed up...

GODZILLA!!

Yep, since that would have been the last Spidey movie for at least twenty years. It would have ruined the franchise completely. 

Normally yes....but the stupidly idiotic contract Sony has means they have to make Spider-man movies no matter what.   The slow decline continues....

Yeah, it's strange to see franchise fatigue unfold before our eyes. Also sucks cuz it means we're all getting older. I do think Spidey can bounce back eventually. If Batman could do it, then so can Spidey.

You are not factoring in WB vs Sony.   WB could wait 8 years between movies to let the public miss Batman.   Sony can't do that.  They have to keep pumping out Spider-Man movies whether the public wants them or not.   If they don't, Marvel gets the rights back and they lose a cash-cow.

It's only going to get worse.   Sony will force another Spider-Man movie onto the marketplace in a couple of years and it will continue the slide.   Eventually it won't be profitable for Sony and Marvel will get the rights back...probably about 2030.   Spidey will be a damaged property at that point.  Hell...it already is damaged.

Sony only cares about the franchise....Marvel cares about the characters.   That's the difference.   I love the Spider-Man character...but the Captain America movie owns this Spider-man movie and I'm glad.   Screw Sony.

• Like 5

If you think it's damaged, it's one thing, I'm one of those who loved TASM & TASM2 and you guys who don't, need to understand that there are a lot of people who do. Now, if they want to make 1 billion for sure, then it's easy, work with Marvel Studios, incorporate Spidey in The Avengers, that kind of thing, plus just it having the Marvel Studios & MCU "label" over it will probably instantly give it more value.

Webb & his crew care about the characters, Sony probably only cares about the franchise but as long as the filmmakers care about story & characters, it's good. 

Edited by RonSwanson

If you think it's damaged, it's one thing, I'm one of those who loved TASM & TASM2 and you guys who don't, need to understand that there are a lot of people who do. Now, if they want to make 1 billion for sure, then it's easy, work with Marvel Studios, incorporate Spidey in The Avengers, that kind of thing, plus just it having the Marvel Studios & MCU "label" over it will probably instantly give it more value.

Webb & his crew care about the characters, Sony probably only cares about the franchise but as long as the filmmakers care about story & characters, it's good. 

I think the box office numbers will speak louder than anything else in the coming years.

I'm sure some fans will insist all the assembly line Spidey movies are good...meanwhile the public will grow more and more tired of the character as Sony is unable to let him breathe due to the stipulations of that horrible contract.   Same thing will happen to the X-men with Fox.   Those contracts are character killers.   Get ready for DoFP to make less than expected as well.

I can only go by my opinion but this new Spider-man reboot has added nothing new to the franchise which has just raised disinterest in the franchise. Why should audiences have to pay high ticket prices for a movie we have already seen before?? Especially if it is not of high quality. 

Edited by theultimatebiu
  • Like 7

I know there's been thought of maybe Spidey going back to Disney. Despite what this does, that's not happening. Sony is still going to make more Spidey films.