lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

10 hours ago, AJG said:

I think I'll just never understand why the rangers have moulded plastic mouths that can't move.

Frankly, I expect nothing from this movie apart from grown men in their 30's bitching about how the movie desecrated the 'purity' of the franchise online.

You'll have to ask the Zyuranger designers that, since that's where it originally came from.  Since MMPR uses Zyuranger's suit designs, it is the basis for the movie's costumes.  The mouthpieces are one of those weird things that sometimes appears on the helmets in Super Sentai.  And it has been repeated more recently too, like in Goseiger (Power Rangers Megaforce).  The sentai before Zyuranger, Jetman, didn't have those plastic silver mouths, and their bird themed design actually appears to me it would have been a better match for the movie helmet design style than the mostly dinosaur ones, but this of course isn't a Jetman themed movie.

And yes, complaining how this movie "isn't the real Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" is inevitable, even though the TV show from the beginning, and the previous movies, have all been used to sell Bandai toys.  And after so many years of releasing "Legacy" MMPR toys, especially the ones associated with Tommy Oliver, this movie arrives at just the right time for Bandai to sell even more Mighty Morphin Power Rangers toys, this time with the much different suits.  So, right now, I am finding it hard to believe this movie will not be designed to sell Bandai toys, no matter how much they will try to promote the other aspects of the movie.

They are hoping that "Transformers" lighting strikes twice. It probably won't.

There was an inherent coolness about Tranformers that the Power Rangers just do not have.

The other thing is , from that poster, they might be taking this film dead seriously. Big Mistake. What made Transformers fun is that the filmmakers got the inherent silliness of the concept,embraced it, and made a fun film.(The first one. The sequels, not so much). I got a feeling that the makers of this might not be so savvy.

Edited by dudalb

On 9/1/2016 at 1:46 PM, dudalb said:

They are hoping that "Transformers" lighting strikes twice. It probably won't.

There was an inherent coolness about Tranformers that the Power Rangers just do not have.

The other thing is , from that poster, they might be taking this film dead seriously. Big Mistake. What made Transformers fun is that the filmmakers got the inherent silliness of the concept,embraced it, and made a fun film.(The first one. The sequels, not so much). I got a feeling that the makers of this might not be so savvy.

I do worry that the film won't be as humor filled as either the TV series or 1995 movie, so they can portray Rita as much more dangerous than her TV show counterpart, and attempt to elevate the challenge for the Rangers so they can be considered more like traditional superheroes to the general public.  Some of the elements we've heard about so far, like Rita confronting Trini, sound typical of superhero origin stories, which makes me feel like the more unique elements of the Power Rangers are being pushed aside.  I'm not expecting a roll call for example.  I won't be surprised if we don't even hear "Aye yai yai" once.

Also, Cinema Blend says the surviving original Rangers were not asked back for the Lionsgate movie (Thuy Trang sadly passed away 15 years ago now).  That does not surprise me, as Lionsgate has been avoiding making many connections to the original TV show, aside from Cranston's casting.  However, there is one exception: Since Jason David Frank did return for the "Legendary Battle" episode of Power Rangers Super Megaforce, even though he is not one of the original five Rangers, he is the MMPR actor most likely to have a cameo of some sort in the movie.

1 hour ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Wow ! That is cool. Hopefully it can turn into a multi-billion franchise even though it is gonna face crazy competition next year. 

I have doubts about that, for the international run for this movie.  Remember what this is not: this is not a Super Sentai movie, so I'm not expecting a good run for this from Japan.  Japanese toku fans don't see their Super Sentai characters like Captain Marvelous and AkaRed represented here, and I'm skeptical those toku fans would want to see a non-Zyuranger version in theaters.  Also, Toei has the international rights to Power Rangers in Asia, as seen in the names for the Korean sentai dubs, like Gokaiger is "Power Rangers Captain Force," so can Lionsgate even do what they usually do when they sell the movie rights in advance for Asia?

7 minutes ago, trifle said:

This is trending on twitter, and I had to stop by this thread to see why.  If it is just based on those posters, that's a lot of interest for very little material. 

Seems like nostalgia isn't dead.

There is still anticipation for a trailer to be released.  Remember Jem and the Holograms trended too when its trailer was released in May 2015, and we know how well that did at the box office.  Building initial interest in nostalgic properties has not been a problem, but once the trailer is released, things can turn quickly if it's not what people want to see.

4 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

There is still anticipation for a trailer to be released.  Remember Jem and the Holograms trended too when its trailer was released in May 2015, and we know how well that did at the box office.  Building initial interest in nostalgic properties has not been a problem, but once the trailer is released, things can turn quickly if it's not what people want to see.

Of course it has to deliver, but there had been some comments on her about whether people were even interested in it any more, and I do think this shows there is interest.

20 minutes ago, trifle said:

This is trending on twitter, and I had to stop by this thread to see why.  If it is just based on those posters, that's a lot of interest for very little material. 

Seems like nostalgia isn't dead.

most of this films audience probably uses twitter. The catch is to appeal to other demos, which could be a challenge. 

4 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

I'm getting some serious Pacific Rim vibes from these posters.

4 hours ago, Morieris said:

Those certainly are choices. I like the Black Ranger poster best but I just keep thinking Transformers. Still excited. 

Pacific Rim is a nice thing to aim for but I'm pretty sure they're hoping for Transformers.