lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

If they pull something big at the Super Bowl it could bring hype, but it feels definitely deliberate they avoided showing any actual fighting or heavy VFX stuff so far.

Especially since you'd think they'd pimp out Cranston in the marketing.

Edited by SpiderByte

25 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

I find it baffling that most studios find it so hard to make these movies. Can they not learn anything from marvel/disney?

It could easily be pride that is keeping them from following the Marvel and Disney formula.  Why?  Because the entertainment company that sold the Power Rangers IP rights back to Haim Saban in 2010, was Disney.   And Saban was being critical of Disney's handling of Power Rangers at the time, as seen in these two New York Times articles from 2010: May 12, 2010, and October 30, 2010.  Even if Lionsgate is in charge of the movie, Saban Brands is listed right alongside them, and those quotes from 2010 could have easily influenced the decision as to which direction the movie should go in.

6 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

It could easily be pride that is keeping them from following the Marvel and Disney formula.  Why?  Because the entertainment company that sold the Power Rangers IP rights back to Haim Saban in 2010, was Disney.   And Saban was being critical of Disney's handling of Power Rangers at the time, as seen in these two New York Times articles from 2010: May 12, 2010, and October 30, 2010.  Even if Lionsgate is in charge of the movie, Saban Brands is listed right alongside them, and those quotes from 2010 could have easily influenced the decision as to which direction the movie should go in.

In that case Saban is a fool. Btw I was the first to reveal that this movie is called Saban's Power Rangers. Is it still called that or they dropped the idea after seeing the film?

33 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

In that case Saban is a fool. Btw I was the first to reveal that this movie is called Saban's Power Rangers. Is it still called that or they dropped the idea after seeing the film?

"Saban's Power Rangers" is still the title, as seen in this Qualcomm press release about a VR experience at CES.  And I can say confidently the quality of the final film should not affect the decision to put "Saban's" in the title.  The widely panned season, Power Rangers Super Megaforce, still had the "Saban's" as part of its official logo, despite its production problems, and storytelling that was mostly consider subpar.

Edited by Outrageous!

Saying it is a broken record now, but once again, something from the movie has been revealed via a toy release.  Power Rangers Now has details for the movie version of the Putties.  They are from a Toys R Us page.  Zordon may be the only character design that remains to be revealed at this point.  While Lionsgate is stalling with the promotion of this movie, the biggest expected competition in March, Beauty and the Beast, this week has been tweeting out about the movie's songs, and putting commercials on TV, a sharp contrast between the marketing strategies so far.  This week may see something new about the Power Rangers movie, since there is that VR experience Lionsgate is promoting.

If they go the route of "Kick-Ass" minus the excessive violence, MMPR will probably excite a lot of people and be a huge success since they are both campy and fun and match the source material. Instead, out of all the things they can choose, they mimic Fantastic Four 2015. 

" It was hard to know who was more crazy... me... or everyone else. " this line from Mad Max speaks my mind. Hollywood is dead. I just don't know how the system works anymore.

9 hours ago, Krissykins said:

2 months to go and we haven't seen the power rangers in action in costume.

Film having problems?

9 hours ago, grim22 said:

Maybe they will move it to the first weekend of August.

If they were going to delay it at this point, I would have expected the news from Lionsgate last week, so they would not end up promoting two release dates once 2017 arrived.  The movie's latest tweets still have March 24 as the release date.  There is now less than 80 days until this movie is in theaters.  Is Fantastic Four 2015 the best comparison to use for the lack of marketing so far?  Was FF2015 as light on promotion from Fox 3 months before release as this movie?

On 1/1/2017 at 6:56 PM, Outrageous! said:

Saying it is a broken record now, but once again, something from the movie has been revealed via a toy release.  Power Rangers Now has details for the movie version of the Putties.  They are from a Toys R Us page.  Zordon may be the only character design that remains to be revealed at this point.  While Lionsgate is stalling with the promotion of this movie, the biggest expected competition in March, Beauty and the Beast, this week has been tweeting out about the movie's songs, and putting commercials on TV, a sharp contrast between the marketing strategies so far.  This week may see something new about the Power Rangers movie, since there is that VR experience Lionsgate is promoting.

Did anybody else think of this, when they saw the design for the Putties?

I find it fascinating that some Ranger fans still believe that this lack of promotion from Lionsgate means that they are suddenly going to do a 180 degree turn and promote like crazy, like in this Rangerboard post that describes the marketing as "effective" and "strategic."  Does letting every other studio that has a wide release movie in March get a head start on promoting their films, and then release almost nothing about this one, sound like a good marketing strategy?  It sure does not to me, and it would seem more fitting to do the opposite, make as many people aware of the movie as possible, if you are going to face a behemoth movie release like Beauty and the Beast in its second weekend.

9 hours ago, Outrageous! said:

I find it fascinating that some Ranger fans still believe that this lack of promotion from Lionsgate means that they are suddenly going to do a 180 degree turn and promote like crazy, like in this Rangerboard post that describes the marketing as "effective" and "strategic."  Does letting every other studio that has a wide release movie in March get a head start on promoting their films, and then release almost nothing about this one, sound like a good marketing strategy?  It sure does not to me, and it would seem more fitting to do the opposite, make as many people aware of the movie as possible, if you are going to face a behemoth movie release like Beauty and the Beast in its second weekend.

Delusion from fans.

This is bombing or moving.

Well it's probably bombing even when moving...