A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

I think the wisest move Disney can make on the DeSantis issue is just keep letting him run his mouth. There's only so far he can take this platform before his constituents lose passion and he has to come up with something else. People love the Mouse even if it may be politically advantageous in the moment to attack it. It's too big an economic engine in the state for him to actually have the balls to do anything dramatic to them. Surely his advisors realize that even if he doesn't.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Are they going to stop doing nonsense like releasing big budget movies like Peter Pan & Wendy directly to Disney+? Or, do they think that's a necessity to keep subscribers on? 

Peter Pan and Wendy was intended originallly as a Disney + exclusive; Disney then decided to give it a threaatrical release as well but now it's back to Disney plus. Guess Disney thought it chances at the box office were poor, and decided not to add to the cost by a threatrical release. Just getting a moive into theaters coste tens of millions of dollars.

I suspect some people here jumped on the De Santis will unseat Trump bandwagon and just don't want to admit they picked a loser.

De Santis is a fool. His flip flop on Ukraine did not help, and his prison threat is hollow; He builds a prison next to Disney it's aslo going to have a bad impact for every other major attraction in Orlando. He is making enemies fast.

For a supposedly briliant politician, he is making a lot of bonehead mistakes.

Edited by dudalb

9 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Disney clearly lost the first round of this and the second round is actively ongoing. I just don't see how you can confidently say Disney's already won their decision to embarrass DeSantis over his group's inattention to detail.  If DeSantis thought he had his ass handed to him, he wouldn't have doubled down right now.

This is the fundamental disagreement. DeSantis 100% doubles down when he's losing. Every step of this has been DeSantis doubling down because Disney did something to hurt him.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

This is the fundamental disagreement. DeSantis 100% doubles down when he's losing. Every step of this has been DeSantis doubling down because Disney did something to hurt him.

And all it does is increase the damage.

De Santis is simply not the smart politician people thought he was.

8 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

That's a fair counterpoint and certainly reads as plausible given the very limited stuff I've gleaned of his persona. So I'd probably want to revise my initial point to simply say that either a perceived position of confidence or weakness by DeSantis plausibly explains these actions to me. The same instincts that pretty objectively caused a big political victory a year ago strike me as likely as inspiring this fight. Different circumstances may mean that's a good or bad move (I honestly can't really see how this resolves yet). 

28 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

That's a fair counterpoint and certainly reads as plausible given the very limited stuff I've gleaned of his persona. So I'd probably want to revise my initial point to simply say that either a perceived position of confidence or weakness by DeSantis plausibly explains these actions to me. The same instincts that pretty objectively caused a big political victory a year ago strike me as likely as inspiring this fight. Different circumstances may mean that's a good or bad move (I honestly can't really see how this resolves yet). 

DeSantis floating that he might put a prison right next to one of the largest children's attractions in the world is exactly the sort of soundbite he thinks will play well with his most diehard supporters now and which will get used dozens, hundreds of times to beat him over the head with down the road

"DeSantis wants to put hardened felons within striking distance of your kids" 

The attack ads write themselves

• Like 11

Just now, 4815162342 said:

DeSantis floating that he might put a prison right next to one of the largest children's attractions in the world is exactly the sort of soundbite he thinks will play well with his most diehard supporters now and which will get used dozens, hundreds of times to beat him over the head with down the road

"DeSantis wants to put hardened felons within striking distance of your kids" 

The attack ads write themselves

It plays well to his redneck base in Florida won;t play well outside that base.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Disney clearly lost the first round of this and the second round is actively ongoing. I just don't see how you can confidently say Disney's already won their decision to embarrass DeSantis over his group's inattention to detail.  If DeSantis thought he had his ass handed to him, he wouldn't have doubled down right now.

This is definitely giving someone who has embraced victimhood and the overall demeanor of a schoolyard bully as much as too many other people in the same party (see: Kari Lake and her unsubstantiated claims of election fraud over her Arizona loss and unsuccessful attempts at overturning the results) too much credit lol. Gotta stay in the news somehow when you're that desperate for power and attention, I guess.

Meanwhile, as all this has been going on, Fort Lauderdale got hit by a nasty rainstorm last week that caused mass flooding and lots of property damage. What was he doing while this was happening? He was campaigning for his presidential aspirations in another state. We're supposed to believe that the real problems are Disney, drag queens, and children learning about black history in schools (to name just a few of his many ill-advised targets), but people losing their homes in the state he is fuckin' governor is not? As @4815162342 said, the attack ads from his opponents from all over literally write themselves.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This is definitely giving someone who has embraced victimhood and the overall demeanor of a schoolyard bully as much as too many other people in the same party (see: Kari Lake and her unsubstantiated claims of election fraud over her Arizona loss and unsuccessful attempts at overturning the results) too much credit lol. Gotta stay in the news somehow when you're that desperate for power and attention, I guess.

Meanwhile, as all this has been going on, Fort Lauderdale got hit by a nasty rainstorm last week that caused mass flooding and lots of property damage. What was he doing while this was happening? He was campaigning for his presidential aspirations in another state. We're supposed to believe that the real problems are Disney, drag queens, and children learning about black history in schools (to name just a few of his many ill-advised targets), but people losing their homes in the state he is fuckin' governor is not? As @4815162342 said, the attack ads from his opponents from all over literally write themselves.

The fact the only government talking about fuel shortages and what's going on is Broward County, and DeSantis has decided his feud with Disney is more important. 

But that's a Dem area, so doubt he cares enough.

Ron has to be careful because those swing Floridians are not completely loyal. There are A LOT of people who have voted for both Obama and Ron twice. 

2 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I think they'll wait even more, until Loki Season 2 has come and gone.

I am not so sure. There’s a risk of more coming out or him saying things in the run to Loki which might completely undermine he marketing.

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

And all it does is increase the damage.

De Santis is simply not the smart politician people thought he was.

People over emphasised his Florida election success. He played to specific Florida issues, benefited from changing demographics but was totally untested nationally. Covid gave him an enemy to rally against as well.

ultimately it doesn’t matter who runs Florida, it’s probably now just a permanent Conservative state.

On 4/17/2023 at 6:04 PM, excel1 said:

Why are people writing off Ron so fast politically? He would obliterate Trump on national stage. Not that I would ever vote for him, but be serious. Trump can't win, Ron can, its an easy sell. 

Lol Trump will turn DeSantis into 'Liddle Marco' 2.0

And elect-ability doesn't matter to Trump, his fans, or GOP primary voters(about 40% of which are never leaving Trump).  To them its all about talking shit, owning the libs, the media, and rah-rah MAGA.  Trump is a moron and I suspect a lot of his fans know it, but he is an unfiltered/unscripted brawler and thats what they love about him.

5 hours ago, John Marston said:

Disney is 100% going to fire him. They are just waiting until GOTG 3 opens to avoid giving any negative headlines to Marvel before a big release 

lol why is this douche doing that face in like every picture

16 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

DeSantis floating that he might put a prison right next to one of the largest children's attractions in the world is exactly the sort of soundbite he thinks will play well with his most diehard supporters now and which will get used dozens, hundreds of times to beat him over the head with down the road. "DeSantis wants to put hardened felons within striking distance of your kids" The attack ads write themselves

Which is also downstream of how this 2023 fight isn't exactly identical to the 2022 one. 2023 has much weaker grounds for DeSantis to fight on than Disney's self-inflicted quagmire of 2022.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

10 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Lol Trump will turn DeSantis into 'Liddle Marco' 2.0

No he wouldn't, Trump is a complete disaster and nobody will buy his shit. He got crushed in a debate by Biden. He would get crushed by DeSantis, and probably just about anyone else. Chris Christie in particular seems very eager to get onto the stage against him.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

No he wouldn't, Trump is a complete disaster and nobody will buy his shit. He got crushed in a debate by Biden. He would get crushed by DeSantis, and probably just about anyone else. Chris Christie in particular seems very eager to get onto the stage against him.

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of why Trump appeals to his party's voters and why he won the nomination last time. He's great on the stage with people like DeSantis. Those that talk tough, but are obvious hypocrites. Trump is great at calling them out, because he's good at deflecting, while digging the knife in. That DeSantis has tried to copy Trump is going to make things even easier for him.

Once Trump started talking about DeSantis, Ron's numbers tumbled and Trump's shot up. It's because the base loves to listen to Trump and not obvious imitations. And this is before we get into Trump's team just being better. Look at the murder that was Trump's new pudding ad on Ron. Pointing out how he's brought up taking entitlements away from older folk, which make up a large part of the Republican voting base.

If I'm honest, I don't think DeSantis runs now. He's already getting killed, and if he runs, he has to leave office, which would effect his run at the senate, because he can't run for governor again.

• Like 1