A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

https://www.ign.com/articles/disneys-electronic-arts-acquisition

Disney's CEO Is Reportedly Being Urged to Consider Turning Company Into a 'Gaming Giant'

But he might not be interested.

Everyone wants Disney to be something else these days. A gaming giant, owned by Apple, no longer having cable channels...I'm not saying they don't need to change, but everyone has an idea that seems to limit them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

I cancelled my D+ subscription. Price increase is ridiculous. They did not even try to do it slowly. 

I will get it like month or 2 every year if I really want to watch something. I would rather get dvd from my local library 🙂 I have zero interest in the gazillion SW/Marvel tv series any way. 

I'm canceling mine Nov 28 (when it renews)...I just have to finish all the Star Wars live action series and watch Loki Season 2 and Haunted Mansion.  Afterwards, there won't really be anything I need to watch for months...

1 hour ago, JWR said:

I imagine the disastrous response to Secret Invasion was a factor in making them realize their tv model wasn't working.

Possibly, but how much of that change is in fact due to the way the new deal with the writers after the strike is written?

Before they could get away with having no showrunners for streaming shows, but I think after the deal they actually can’t, can they? I think Disney might have had its hands forced in this direction anyway.

59 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm canceling mine Nov 28 (when it renews)...I just have to finish all the Star Wars live action series and watch Loki Season 2 and Haunted Mansion.  Afterwards, there won't really be anything I need to watch for months...

Funny you say that when it feels like so many people are pushing them to space out their content. But then when you space out your content too much people start cancelling with that as a reason. Tricky.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Funny you say that when it feels like so many people are pushing them to space out their content. But then when you space out your content too much people start cancelling with that as a reason. Tricky.

Well the greater point is not to be so reliant on Marvel/SW, but to have other properties to keep people around.

There is the back catalogue, yes.  And new releases.  But if one wants to be on the Netflix tier, or just below it, one has to pump out more interesting fare than from two IPs.

Again, gonna be interested in how Percy Jackson does, but even there that's somewhat pigeon-holing them into a certain style of storytelling that might be limited.

(The latter aside might be the single most compelling reason to actually merge Hulu and Disney Plus and probably always has been)

====

Have other thoughts about The State of Disney, but they'll have to wait 'till tonight.  If I even decide to post 'em.

(it mostly can be summed up as:  Decisions to "change" can take LITERALLY YEARS TO BEAR FRUIT given developmental lead time)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Possibly, but how much of that change is in fact due to the way the new deal with the writers after the strike is written?

Before they could get away with having no showrunners for streaming shows, but I think after the deal they actually can’t, can they? I think Disney might have had its hands forced in this direction anyway.

I never said they should push it out.  They don't have enough content as is.  Their problem is they never sat down and said "what is D+ for us and what content do we want on it."

As an example, I have no idea why they didn't decide to use the 5 year jump in Marvel movies as their D+ material - 5 years where they could do so many things that mattered that never had to end up on screen but fans would have loved...but they didn't go down that road and now they can't...

That Hollywood Reporter article just goes to show the concept of common sense is absolutely dead. 

Disney's abysmal Marvel shows and the fixing in post production is the reason that VFX wants to unionize, these absolute fools have no idea what the hell they're doing and it shows.

Edited by Cappoedameron

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

The problem with the Disney+ MCU shows is that they cannot keep the momentum going. They mostly had very weak and poorly received final episodes except for Loki. The quality needs to be upped.

They just need to fucking stop.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Some insight on how the SAG AFTRA strike might affect animation

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-66989981

Jennifer Lee, chief creative officer of Walt Disney Animation Studios, has been able to "keep things going" up to now.

But the actors union, whose members include her husband, the actor Alfred Molina, has been on strike for nearly three months.

Lee told the BBC she has "probably until the end of the year" before her films will be affected.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Last 2 movies from MCU that had insane hype were NWH and DS2. Sony is desperately trying to start another one but why is Disney not announcing DS3. Get it out with BC and CT and others. I think that will still have the hype. 

This is the big issue for Marvel right now. They need to be more reactionary but with so many projects inter woven it makes them pretty slow to change direction.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 3:34 PM, keysersoze123 said:

Loki is dead. It does not make sense to bring the character back unless they are rebooting entire MCU. Which to me is not a bad idea. 

Sure, Disney's decided to drop Loki into a Lazarus pit and bring him back 4 years ago. He's clearly going to be in one or both of the big Avengers movies coming up in a few years. Putting him in movies instead of TV doesn't change that because Disney's macro vision was clearly to establish D+ as "real" MCU unlike ABC/Netflix Marvel TV era. WandaVision/Marvels/Cap&Thunderbolts all show a clear intent to blur lines between TV and film. Loki was never going to be post-Avengers coulson