A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

The way they make their movies is unsustainable and getting dragged into politics has compounded their issues. They are seen as a divisive studio for right and wrong reasons. Kinda sad that their 100th year might be their worst. All of their movie branches are faltering. Disney Animation clearly a mess, Star Wars is completely polarized, MCU quality is on the decline and becoming more polarized. I think Pixar funny enough has the best shot at making a comeback than the other divisions. Disney hurt that Pixar by putting it out there films on Disney+ and making a Lightyear movie no asked for. I can’t believe they still haven’t gotten rid of Kathleen Kennedy. Maybe she really does have dirt on everyone in Hollywood

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Ehhh. Would have been exciting three years ago. Started tales of Jedi ,cool so far . Animation side should be good.

As for live action. He is been getting kind of worse since Mando S1, cracks started to appear in S2 and by S3 ...

Ashoka was his baby and it kind of petered out by the end.

Guess will wait for the movies and output and see.

This sums up my feelings rather well:

If one prefers the idea that Filoni is in fact like Lucas when it comes to being better at an Idea Man than a Executor of Ideas, there's also this take:

Can see this dynamic with the recent The Bad Batch where he's responsible for the 30,000 foot level of things but has others actually do the show itself.  And while it might not have reached the critical reception of, say, TCW it does seem to have hit its stride.

More to the point, fans have been screaming for a "Kevin Feige" analogue for years now, and this is the most natural candidate.

Doesn't mean he's gonna be perfect.

Doesn't mean he's gonna be a savior.

Does mean that SW is gonna get something that folks have been pounding the table for almost half a decade now: Someone singularly in charge of the overall creative direction of the franchise.

And at the 30,000 foot level I'll take Filoni's track record, thank you very much.

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

This sums up my feelings rather well:

If one prefers the idea that Filoni is in fact like Lucas when it comes to being better at an Idea Man than a Executor of Ideas, there's also this take:

Can see this dynamic with the recent The Bad Batch where he's responsible for the 30,000 foot level of things but has others actually do the show itself.  And while it might not have reached the critical reception of, say, TCW it does seem to have hit its stride.

More to the point, fans have been screaming for a "Kevin Feige" analogue for years now, and this is the most natural candidate.

Doesn't mean he's gonna be perfect.

Doesn't mean he's gonna be a savior.

Does mean that SW is gonna get something that folks have been pounding the table for almost half a decade now: Someone singularly in charge of the overall creative direction of the franchise.

And at the 30,000 foot level I'll take Filoni's track record, thank you very much.

I'm pretty happy with this myself.

Let's see now if they can get any movies off the ground.

• Like 2

Thanks Chapek

lol jk audiences are now unpredictable AF

Movie audiences are going through a change restaurant consumer went through 15 years ago when they moved from"fast food" to "fast casual". 

They still want brand name and familiarity, but they want it to feel less cookie and more unique. 

Edited by excel1

3 hours ago, franfar said:

Absolutely mind boggling how bad this is, and that’s before we get to yet another epic disaster Wish looks about to be. For as much as Disney’s 2019 was unprecedented for a studio’s success, Disney’s 2023 certainly has to be unprecedented in the opposite direction 

• Like 1

So, Disney is giving away D+ and Hulu this weekend - 99 cents/month for a year for Hulu with a $2/month Disney add on.  I now feel stupid for not fully canceling a week ago and settling for the offered $2.99 each deal (but my D+ is ad-free for the year, so I guess that annoyance-free-ness is worth $3/month).

Just in case folks both wanted this and thought Disney families were ever gonna come back to theaters - not at this price difference...

Edited by TwoMisfits

It's insane that they are not releasing any movies under the Disney Banner between Wish and IO2. And nothing even under the Fox banner until a Omen sequel/reboot whatever on April 5th and they seemed to pick that over the Bikeriders which got decent reviews out of the film festivals. Yep it's a mess there.

Any profits they make next year are basically gonna cover this year's losses, not including any losses from that year. They dug themselves into a financial hole

15 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Absolutely mind boggling how bad this is, and that’s before we get to yet another epic disaster Wish looks about to be. For as much as Disney’s 2019 was unprecedented for a studio’s success, Disney’s 2023 certainly has to be unprecedented in the opposite direction 

1 minute ago, franfar said:

Any profits they make next year are basically gonna cover this year's losses, not including any losses from that year. They dug themselves into a financial hole

I wouldn’t say that at all. Their 2024 isn’t nearly strong enough to think it’s gonna make up for this year’s disaster on its own. IO2 is about the only thing that’s probably guaranteed to beakeven at worst case. I’m not at all putting it past DP3 to bomb if reception is mid or worse. People are done with CBMs that aren’t something special. 

• Like 1

Is DeadPool 3 going to be R rated? funny if yes. Their biggest tentpole is going to be a non family movie. This year was catastrophic, billions in loses for their movie business, hard to see any improvement next year.

At this rate Disney could be bought up by Apple or some other tech giant in a very short future.

This would most certainly explain why Disney agreed to make James L. Brooks' Ella McKay - his productions historically don't come cheap - out of nowhere.

Certainly rings true with the decisions as of late, a la Toy Story 5, back-to-back Frozen sequels, Tron: Ares, a live-action Moana redo, etc.

This also continues to show how desperate - not to mention, directionless - the Iger 2.0 regime is if they seriously think another Simpsons movie would remotely have the same impact as it did in 2007.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

This would most certainly explain why Disney agreed to make James L. Brooks' Ella McKay - his productions historically don't come cheap - out of nowhere.

Certainly rings true with the decisions as of late, a la Toy Story 5, back-to-back Frozen sequels, Tron: Ares, a live-action Moana redo, etc.

This also continues to show how desperate - not to mention, directionless - the Iger 2.0 regime is if they seriously think another Simpsons movie would remotely have the same impact as it did in 2007.

Chapek will be reinstated as head of Disney by EOY 2024 at this rate.

• Haha 5
  • Astonished 1

3 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

The 2007 movie was legit the last time that IP was truly relevant. Good luck.