A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

1 minute ago, elcaballero said:

Crazy news, and on a Sunday night too. Seems like the timing is a little strange, but hey, not a bad way to start the week.

If they wanted to keep it quiet, they could have waited until late Wednesday or Tuesday, whichever they could do before press slows down for US Thanksgiving.

They really wanted the news out there tonight.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

Crazy news, and on a Sunday night too. Seems like the timing is a little strange, but hey, not a bad way to start the week.

This is the "TIIIIMMBBERRRRR" for the coming weeks, a sign that more changes are afoot, surely. 

Everyone's confidence levels will go up, and of course stocks will respond accordingly...

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DAR said:

I think Josh Demaro who runs the parks could be the guy

A massive lesson from the Iger to Chapek transition is that public perception is HUGE. Chapek isn't the warm and friendly type and it created a humongous image problem compounded by some highly questionable decisions. 

There is obviously truth, however, tot he point Chapek likely ever felt truly in charge. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Seems Wall Street still appreciates the value of theatres, and not just the raw dollars but the prestige that theatrical exclusive windows add. Movies that go to streaming quick feel cheap and insignificant, no matter what their content.

I wonder, with this news, if Disney won't push SW to D+ on Christmas as (currently) planned.

Fair to say the decision to fire Chapek was likely made some time ago and they have been vetting other candidates for a while. Considering they JUST went through this a few years ago, it shouldn't have been that difficult. That they still ended up back at Iger is pretty amusing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I wonder, with this news, if Disney won't push SW to D+ on Christmas as (currently) planned.

Based on this news, I wouldn't be surprised if Iger personally got out there and visited some theaters across the US to promote this baby!!  (When did this movie go into production? Was it part of Chapek's regime? Or previous Iger's?)

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Fair to say the decision to fire Chapek was likely made some time ago and they have been vetting other candidates for a while. Considering they JUST went through this a few years ago, it shouldn't have been that difficult. That they still ended up back at Iger is pretty amusing.

I wonder how many candidates saw Chapek getting his ass handed to him every day from all directions and decided they wanted no part of that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I wonder how many candidates saw Chapek getting his ass handed to him every day from all directions and decided they wanted no part of that.

I think the conditions were just too unfriendly for such a transition. Covid caused transitions are monumental and the person at the top must have creditability. Chapek's self-inflicted wounds inexcusable. This is reminiscent of the Michael Ovitz fiasco or the final few years of the Eisner with its instability. 

The ship + waters need to steady a bit before someone else comes in.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Seems Wall Street still appreciates the value of theatres, and not just the raw dollars but the prestige that theatrical exclusive windows add. Movies that go to streaming quick feel cheap and insignificant, no matter what their content.

I don't think theatrical trends will change much under Iger given what he said on CNBC at the end of 2021 and reconfirmed a couple of months ago in an interview with Kara Swisher. 

I'm fairly certain there will not be more volume under Iger but that is probably a good thing, 8-12 big hits is what lead to the Disney success in the 2010s, no reason to have 3 major releases (Black Panther 2, Strange World and Avatar 2) in a 5 week window like they currently do now. 

I quoted the link to the Kara interview earlier but here is a link to the CNBC stuff if anyone wants to read: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/27/what-disneys-bob-iger-thinks-about-the-future-of-movie-theaters.html

10 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I think the conditions were just too unfriendly for such a transition. Covid caused transitions are monumental and the person at the top must have creditability. Chapek's self-inflicted wounds inexcusable. This is reminiscent of the Michael Ovitz fiasco or the final few years of the Eisner with its instability. 

The ship + waters need to steady a bit before someone else comes in.

Based on what they’ve guided for streaming (something they’ve never budged on btw) is that it’ll be profitable by the time Igers new tenure comes to an end. The massive sink on the bottom line will be gone. Linear tv will continue to decline but that’s expected. The waters will almost certainly not be as rocky in 2 years where an easier transition can happen 

now whether or not they go internal or external is the real debate. IF they want someone with experience externally that has a record in running legacy media/streaming/parks then really only a couple of options exist and they’re at NBCU. 

• Like 1