A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

1 hour ago, Val357 said:

Does anyone know if the Marvel release date shift is going to impact the Disney+ shows at all?

To some extent it is likely as they use a lot of the same filming locations (mainly Atlanta) and post-production (ILM) but we don't have any dates for the Disney+ shows (apart from Hawkeye which isn't impacted by this) so won't be as big a deal. 

Hulu has released a first look photo featuring the cast of “How I Met Your Father” that also showcases Industrial Light and Magic’s new virtual production stage, the Infinity, on Disney’s Burbank lot.

HIMYF_PW_101_102821_0005RT-e163665673073

The Infinity on Disney Stage 1 is situated on the same stage where sequences of Disney’s 1940 animation masterpiece “Fantasia” were filmed, the new facility is composed of 700 state-of-the-art LED panels. When combined, they create a 1,600 square foot LED canvas- including doors- or approximately 16,000 cubic feet on the main Volume, plus 800 square feet of doors.

Disney Television Studios production executive John Ziffren and technology executive Alex Grimwade credited Disney TV chief Dana Walden and Disney General Entertainment Content topper Peter Rice for driving the effort to advance the ball on episodic vfx.

“This stage will serve as an extraordinary resource for creatives both inside and outside the Walt Disney Company, bringing this groundbreaking technology- often used in feature films and effects-laden series- to episodic television production,”  Ziffren and Grimwade said in a statement. “It’s a huge step forward for our television operations and we’re excited to have this tremendous resource for our creative partners as well as other industry producers.”

Source: https://variety.com/2021/artisans/news/how-i-met-your-father-cast-photo-disney-infinity-1235110252/

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eric the Big Red Dog said:

Wait they're using this virtual production technology on sitcoms now? Wouldn't it just be cheaper to make a generic bar and apartment set?

In the short term probably but sounds like they are planning to use this for a bunch of different shows over time. 

3 minutes ago, Eric the Big Red Dog said:

Wait they're using this virtual production technology on sitcoms now? Wouldn't it just be cheaper to make a generic bar and apartment set?

It's for exteriors (like the bridge in the picture). I think the iCarly reboot used it too

Can't stop, won't stop.

Volume #5 coming to Vancouver:

ILM Plans Expansion With Virtual Production Stage in Vancouver

The company is looking to augment its StageCraft system which was used in the production of the Disney+ series 'The Mandalorian' and is in use for 'Obi-Wan Kenobi.'

ILM Stagecraft
ILM Stagecraft Courtesy of Industrial Light & Magic

Industrial Light & Magic plans to expand its virtual production services with the opening of a new stage near its Vancouver facility, which is expected to open next Spring.

The VFX giant reported on Wednesday that it would construct a roughly 20,000 square feet stage for its StageCraft LED system, which will be its fifth such permanent volume. ILM also maintains two virtual production stages in Manhattan Beach, one at The Walt Disney Studios, and one at Pinewood Studios in London.

“Vancouver is a fantastic production hub where we’ve received a lot of interest from our clients who want a StageCraft volume in British Columbia. It was a natural next step for our expansion,” says Janet Lewin, senior vp and general manager of ILM.

Spencer Kent, executive in charge of ILM’s Vancouver studio, notes that its Canada-based artists have already contributed to digital set construction and virtual art department work on a number of StageCraft projects. “I’m also proud that we are actively recruiting with an eye towards hiring people from underrepresented communities,” he adds. “This effort will be bolstered when we launch our upcoming Jedi Training Academy in January.”

Members of the ILM team won Emmy Awards for the first two seasons of The Mandalorian, which used StageCraft. ILM is currently using its L.A.-based StageCraft systems on Disney+’s Season 3 of The Mandalorian and upcoming series Obi-Wan Kenobi, and its Pinewood stage for Marvel’s Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania.

ILM, a division of Lucasfilm, which is a Disney subsidiary, also builds temporary bespoke StageCraft volumes, such as the one constructed in Sydney for Taika Waititi’s upcoming Thor: Love and Thunder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Can't stop, won't stop.

Volume #5 coming to Vancouver:

Truely one of the great innovations, glad to see the industry evolving with this technology. 

Netflix is also using a similar technology (although not made by ILM) for one of their German shows 1899, I'm sure this will become more of the norm going forward. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Truely one of the great innovations, glad to see the industry evolving with this technology. 

Netflix is also using a similar technology (although not made by ILM) for one of their German shows 1899, I'm sure this will become more of the norm going forward. 

Closest thing we’ll have to Star Trek’s holodeck for a long time.

• Like 1

Disney Annual report time, will start with Theatrical, then move to streaming. No park stuff but will give the source at the bottom if you are curious. 

Disney plans to put 20 movies in theatres for FY22 (but warns that could change due to COVID)

Screen-Shot-2021-11-25-at-12-20-33-PM.pn

Theatrical revenue still below 1 billion at $920m for FY21 which is bad even with a strong Q4 with Black Widow, Jungle Cruise, Free Guy and Shang-Chi, hopefully FY22 is much better.

Screen-Shot-2021-11-25-at-12-07-25-PM.pn

The studio will be making 50 titles including theatrical, DTC and episodic. General Entertainment (the TV networks like 20th TV also making a bunch of shows and a few movies)

Screen-Shot-2021-11-25-at-12-22-01-PM.pn

Now the streaming stuff copied from the streaming wars thread

They plan to spend $33B in FY 2022 up from $25B in FY2021, mainly driven by DTC spend

Screen-Shot-2021-11-25-at-12-28-36-PM.pn

COVID still impacting distribution 

Screen-Shot-2021-11-25-at-12-17-59-PM.pn

DTC subscription revenue for FY21 was ~$12B and advertising about $3.3B

Screen-Shot-2021-11-25-at-12-06-44-PM.pn

Bonus that US Cable revenue from affiliate fees (subscriptions) and advertising is roughly ~$19B which streaming should overtake this FY.

Screen-Shot-2021-11-25-at-12-06-00-PM.pn

Number of US cable subscribers by channel 

Screen-Shot-2021-11-25-at-12-18-57-PM.pn

Source: https://otp.tools.investis.com/clients/us/the_walt_disney_company/SEC/sec-show.aspx?FilingId=15382353&Cik=0001744489&Type=PDF&hasPdf=1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Eric Smith said:

The end of an era. I know he hasn’t been CEO for a minute but it was at least moderately comforting to know he was still in the room. Now we have Michael Eisner 2.0 running this thing alone, and it makes me nervous. 

17 hours ago, RiddlerXXR said:

The end of an era. I know he hasn’t been CEO for a minute but it was at least moderately comforting to know he was still in the room. Now we have Michael Eisner 2.0 running this thing alone, and it makes me nervous. 

Yeah. I think people are giving Iger too much of a pass considering some of Chapek's pre-CEO issues (i.e. the parks) was done under Iger's eye and among other things, but regardless the dude was slick enough to step in during that Perlmutter/King Kevin feud and sideline the former in favor of the latter. One can only hope Chapek doesn't WB up the Disney film divisions, but only time will tell.* 

*=The way he doesn't seem to care about cutting the legs out from under his own movies (see Encanto) in the name of say D+ streaming early in time for Xmas does make one wonder. 

On 12/31/2021 at 7:41 AM, RiddlerXXR said:

If Chepak alienates the talent the way that Eisner did, The Muses will have some rough times ahead.

I think Eisner will be remembered for the acquisitions and mergers he made which easily put Disney as the #1 Studio in town. I think even Iger was surprised though, at what a huge profit machine Marvel turned out to be.

But all it will take is a few more Scarjo fiascos for Chapek to create big problems for Disney, and give the other studios a opening.

If he manages to totally alienate Feige, though, I suspect Chapek will be out of there pretty damn quick. Fewige is a lot more vaulable to Disney then Chapek is.

Bob Chapek Outlines “Three Pillars” for Disney Going Forward – The Hollywood Reporter

The third one makes it sound like Turning Red won't be the last of the D+ pivots lol but if I had to guess it means we probably shouldn't rule Premier Access as being dead yet (if Lightyear ends up a day-and-date title since marketing materials so far have been pretty firm about it coming to theaters we'll know).

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Bob Chapek Outlines “Three Pillars” for Disney Going Forward – The Hollywood Reporter

The third one makes it sound like Turning Red won't be the last of the D+ pivots lol but if I had to guess it means we probably shouldn't rule Premier Access as being dead yet (if Lightyear ends up a day-and-date title since marketing materials so far have been pretty firm about it coming to theaters we'll know).

“To that end — and in addition to all my other creative meetings — I am establishing a new standing monthly meeting with our senior creative leaders to discuss the opportunities we face as a storytelling enterprise,” Chapek wrote. “This will encourage collaboration, sharing of best practices, and stimulate cross-studio ideation.”

i·de·a·tion
/ˌīdēˈāSHən/
noun
  1. the formation of ideas or concepts.
    "paranoid ideation"

STAR WARS/MARVEL CROSSOVER CONFIRMED!!!!!! :ohmygod:

Spoiler

j/k, plz don't killz me everyone. :ph34r:

• Haha 2