CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

13 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Looks like Skull Island isn't too far from me at Bay City, Michigan 

You should go to the highest building in the city and listen for Kongs roar across the ocean.

19 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I find JW to be fun but cannot understand why it was such a mind-blowing boxoffice hit. People just can't get enough of dinosaurs or what? It definitely wasn't Pratt Powah (see The Passengers, The Magnificent 7). I don't think that Kong and Zilla carry the same boxoffice value. 

Re: Kong. I would be surprised if this one opened below $40M.

$50M OW is even doable.

I thought JW would be good for $180M (around JPIII numbers) or maybe a low 200 figure like LW.

Chris pratt is an appealing actor and a future Harrison Ford but the story is just OK and I feel that

JPIII has as much good dino action if not better.

Maybe the pent-up T-Rex nostalgia was severely under-estimated?

Edited by zackzack

20 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I find JW to be fun but cannot understand why it was such a mind-blowing boxoffice hit. People just can't get enough of dinosaurs or what? It definitely wasn't Pratt Powah (see The Passengers, The Magnificent 7). I don't think that Kong and Zilla carry the same boxoffice value. 

The third act/finale and the raptors. Kept crowds coming back. 

I'm lowering my expectations for this but I'm used to these types of movies not having the deepest characters. Before JW became a punching bag for the internet, many loved it and the dialogue is completely awful there at times too (which this is getting criticized for). You could even hear it from the trailers via Pratts lines.

It does suck if they blew such an all star cast with unmemorable characters but if this is as fun as that, I'll enjoy it. 

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

The only thing that pisses me off a bit is that there are like 20 men and one woman.

I thought we were making progress beyond this.

Smurfette complex I think it's called. 

There's actually two women, but the other one is an Asian scientist, so very easy to overlook in a crowd of white testosterone. Also, the movie is set in the 70s, which still should be considered progressive but maybe not in the middle of nowhere in the South China Sea.

3 hours ago, UrosepsisFace said:

There's actually two women, but the other one is an Asian scientist, so very easy to overlook in a crowd of white testosterone. Also, the movie is set in the 70s, which still should be considered progressive but maybe not in the middle of nowhere in the South China Sea.

I don't think being set in the 70's is a good excuse.

The film is about a giant monkey. I don't think they were going for being historically accurate.

• Like 3