CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

29 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Can you give me the size of Peter Jackson s Kong and this Kong's Size, in meters, please ?

Thanx.

:)

The latest Kong's size may be an estimation, but assuming that he is *literally* 100 feet tall as the reports have said...

King Kong (2005) -- 7.62 meters (25 feet)

Kong (2017) -- 30.48 meters (100 feet)

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Can you give me the size of Peter Jackson s Kong and this Kong's Size, in meters, please ?

Thanx.

:)

Jackson's kong was said to be 7.6 meters (25 feet) tall. This one is reportedly about 30.5 meters (100 feet). By comparison the Godzilla of this universe is 108 meters tall(355 feet).

• Like 1

I'm curious to see how this size works for King Kong. I mean, that's so outside the realm of realistic gorilla size, that it crosses a line where it might veer into absurd. I tend to think an animal that is slightly exaggerated is scarier than one that is preposterous by real world standards. Sort of like I find a large Tarantula spider scarier than some giant man-size spider like certain sci-fi movies have.

That size works for Godzilla because our frame of reference is dinosaurs which were huge. I'm not sure it works for King Kong.

Edited by JennaJ

4 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

I'm curious to see how this size works for King Kong. I mean, that's so outside the realm of realistic gorilla size, that it crosses a line where it might veer into absurd. I tend to think an animal that is slightly exaggerated is scarier than one that is preposterous by real world standards. Sort of like I find a large Tarantula spider scarier than some giant man-size spider like certain sci-fi movies have.

That size works for Godzilla because our frame of reference is dinosaurs which were huge. I'm not sure it works for Kind Kong.

Yes dear Kong is a very kind ape. ;):P

Lets see how far they plan out the Monsterverse with Tull basically out of the picture now.

It says he'll stay on board to produce the films. They do have a "writers room" for the monsterverse, so hopefully nothing will be haulted. 

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

If Godzilla & King Kong are the king of the giant monsters, who would be number 3,4,5 etc ???

Motthra ?

Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah. Who are actually slated for Godzilla 2. Or at least, Legendary has the rights to them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah. Who are actually slated for Godzilla 2. Or at least, Legendary has the rights to them.

There's also the possibility that we'll get another original monster. Unless Godzilla and Kong are truly fighting each other throughout with no outside enemy for them to team up against.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

An all new Original Large Monster is overdue, but what?

Godzilla=reptile

Kong=mammal

Amphibian??

I'll go with a Hydra for the 3rd monster for water based and I guess the only element left would be Air so maybe some sort of air dragon perhaps?

2 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I'm surprised no one (or I just haven't seen it) has worked on a Lovecraftian Cinematic Universe. Remove the worst of it, I'd watch it.

I'd imagine because Lovecraft is difficult to film, since it's base is in the unknowable, the unimaginable, and the racist.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

I'm surprised no one (or I just haven't seen it) has worked on a Lovecraftian Cinematic Universe. Remove the worst of it, I'd watch it.

Del Toro worked on a project like this for years, produced by James Cameron, but the studio invloved got cold feet and stopped the project in pre-production.

Edited by The Futurist

9 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

I'd imagine because Lovecraft is difficult to film, since it's base is in the unknowable, the unimaginable, and the racist.

Eurgh :mellow: my knowledge beings and ends with "He wrote Cthulhu.", that's disappointing but I guess not surprising.

Just now, The Futurist said:

Del Toro worked on a project like this for years, produced by James Cmaeron, but the studio invloved got cold feet and stopped the project in pre-podtction.

Bummer. Though admittedly finding a wide audience for it would be hard, i'd hope enough people were at least curious enough to see (& I bet the racism would be removed).

12 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Well, any form of racism in most of his stories can be easily cut. I don't think that's the issue for a Lovecraftian movie, it's mostly that studios just have no idea how the hell to handle any of his concepts in a commercial way.

5 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Well, any form of racism in most of his stories can be easily cut. I don't think that's the issue for a Lovecraftian movie, it's mostly that studios just have no idea how the hell to handle any of his concepts in a commercial way.

His very basis of his horror is racism. Fear of the other. Xenophobia, even if you remove the overt racism, plenty of his stories undercurrent and horror are discovering the impurity of your ancestry.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Eurgh :mellow: my knowledge beings and ends with "He wrote Cthulhu.", that's disappointing but I guess not surprising.

Bummer. Though admittedly finding a wide audience for it would be hard, i'd hope enough people were at least curious enough to see (& I bet the racism would be removed).

To his credit, he did evolve past a lot of his misogyny, and racism, and anti-Semitism. Unfortunately most of his early work, which is his most well known, is steeped in very xenophobic ideals, and even some of the horrific twists are that the characters aren't "pure" which stemmed from his own fear that he wasn't "pure". He is very much a product of his time, and so it's something to take with a grain of context from when he was alive.

Edited by RandomJC
  • Like 3