Plain Old Tele

Tuesday 6/3 actuals: Maleficent 7.196 DOFP 3.788, AMW 1.865 Godzilla 1.370 (Rth)

Just curious :)

I don't know what the expectations for the film were before it was released.

I think most people were expecting 150-170m DOM before Godzilla opened. Godzilla would be a success now with those expectations.

• Like 1

4 Godzilla to reach 550 million worldwide its going to have to do exceptionally well in Japan and China and I would not count on that just yet. I think it will finish with less than 500.

• Like 1

I think most people were expecting 150-170m DOM before Godzilla opened. Godzilla would be a success now with those expectations.

I don't know if you were talking about just on these forums or "professional/expert" predictions, but if you were talking about here on the forums, saying most people predicted 150-170 is revisionist history. The hype here was stupid high and most predictions I saw fell in the 225-275 range.
  • Like 5

4 Godzilla to reach 550 million worldwide its going to have to do exceptionally well in Japan and China and I would not count on that just yet. I think it will finish with less than 500.

Come on man, are you hating that much? $500M is nearly a lock.
  • Like 1

Come on man, are you hating that much? $500M is nearly a lock.

It should. You are right. Im not convinced it will do giant numbers in Japan tho.
  • Like 2

It should. You are right. Im not convinced it will do giant numbers in Japan tho.

Oh I'm not either, but with the rest of the domestic total, the existing overseas markets, as well as the China/Japan combo, it should be able to reach $500M. I doubt it makes much more than that though.
  • Like 1

Yet Pacific Rom bombed there.

What? It was gigantic there, one of the biggest Hollywood movies, by dollar gross.

Godzilla should do huge numbers too, but the competition is there, and I think legs will be poor, once they realize it is NOT Pacific Rim (for all its faults, that movie at least delivered the giant robots vs giant monsters that they promised).

• Like 3