AniNate

Joy | David O. Russell | Christmas 2015 | New Trailer on Page 20!

No one else but the Queen can do this: getting an Oscar nom for a movie that hasn't gotten any recognition from the critics.

So I watched this movie yesterday (not in theater though :ph34r:) I thought it was overlong and get boring in parts. Nothing special but overall, it was decent.

I would echo some members here, I thought JLaw was great, her best performance in a while, probably since the first Hunger Games for me. 

• Like 1

On 14. tammikuuta 2016 at 6:34 PM, A District 3 Engineer said:

No one else but the Queen can do this: getting an Oscar nom for a movie that hasn't gotten any recognition from the critics.

Women actually can get Best Actress nominations even from weak films (probbaly because there are so few female starring films).

But after people were so negative about American Hustle and I slipper it in theathers I am definately going to see this one even if it is not perfect.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Ditto for The Blind Side and Sandra. Heck, Still Alice was pretty divisive too. 

The caliber of roles for women and the competition hasn't been great in years especially among the types of films that get pushed for and considered for Oscars.  Add to to that the Academy's penchant for pretty younger actresses and well...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The caliber of roles for women and the competition hasn't been great in years especially among the types of films that get pushed for and considered for Oscars.  Add to to that the Academy's penchant for pretty younger actresses and well...

The category is unusually young this year, with Larson and Ronan also being twenty somethings. Before this year, JLaw was the only under 30 year old in the Best Actress category this decade aside from Wallis. They're usually over 40 these days. 

24 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The category is unusually young this year, with Larson and Ronan also being twenty somethings. Before this year, JLaw was the only under 30 year old in the Best Actress category this decade aside from Wallis. They're usually over 40 these days. 

Brody was the only actor under 30 (Age 29) to ever win Best Actor.  Whereas 29 actresses have won in their 20s and many more in their early 30s. 

As of 2013

Best Actress is the category by far most skewed to those under 35 and under (62.35% compared to Best Actor at 14.12%) and considering that's where the majority of leading roles go to it's not surprising.

http://www.btchflcks.com/2013/02/fun-with-stats-winners-of-oscars-for-acting-by-age.html

chart_2+%25282%2529.png

Best actress nominees and winners tend to skew much younger than their male counterparts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Academy_Award_Best_Actor_winners_by_age

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Academy_Award_Best_Actress_winners_by_age

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

Joy is definitely underrated. It's easy to watch it and think it's a mess, because the film's themes, those things that tie it together, are kinda subtle. The movie's not as concerned with biopic fluff or telling us about the rise of QVC so much as it's concerned with telling a story about the brutality of business and specifically the difficulty women have in business. Watch the movie and note every time two men shake hands in front of Joy and mostly ignore her in that respect. 

• Like 3