Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

Nikkis numbers don't look better than Deadlines. I have to admit, that's disappointing for Dragons. :(

Maybe it surprises us with a flat sunday.

They both almost always have relatively same #s. We need Rth. 

FRIDAY 3PM:  Yes, I’m back doing box office. Right now #1 is  22 Jump Street (Sony Pictures – 3,306 theaters) leading with a possible $60M while #2 is  How To Train Your Dragon 2 (DreamWorks Animation/Fox- 4,253 theaters) targeting $55M. Next update tonight.

I really hope HTTYD2 goes higher.

Pretty funny that some HTTYD fans were actually expecting 100m OW for Dragon. The hype was never there for such a huge opening. :ph34r:

I discovered HTTYD on Blu Ray a couple years ago ... thought I'd love to see the sequel in theaters.  Saw the trailers and they did nothing for me.  Instead, I saw 22 Jump Street last night instead and have no qualms about it. HTTYD 2 will be a Blu Ray first viewing for me as well.

Edited by Adam

You sound like a concerned father who doesn't realize his kids are already smoking weed in his house. You aren't a kid once they hit puberty? Good philosophy (and kinda disturbing). Reminds me of people totally against abortion but who don't give a shit about pre-K for those same underprivileged kids.

Lol I don't even know where to begin with that. Talk about totally missing my point. Kids are very impressionable, fact not opinion. Parents need to be very cautious what they're exposed to. Adolescents on the other hand are gonna be exposed to stuff regardless, and they're supposed to be since it helps them prepare and transition for adulthood. Parents still need to help guide them through it, but trying to shield them like they're still kids is pointless. That doesn't mean you encourage them to go light a joint, but you don't treat them like a 4th grader either. Most teens who have real issues had shitty parenting. And I'm talking real issues, not just typical middle school or high school experimenting.
  • Like 1

Eh, a $55-60M opening for Dragon is perfectly fine in my book. It never felt like a Shrek 2-increase in opening was in the cards, at least IMO. And with glowing reviews and there being absolutely no competition the rest of the summer besides Planes 2 (lol), I'll be shocked if it has bad legs.

• Like 2

I discovered HTTYD on Blu Ray a couple years ago ... thought I'd love to see the sequel in theaters.  Saw the trailers and they did nothing for me.  Instead, I saw 22 Jump Street last night instead and have no qualms about it. HTTYD 2 will be a Blu Ray first viewing for me as well.

Yeah, the Dragon trailers did nothing but advertise the action which was probably a turn off for some families. Studios need to focus on the humor in all the marketing for animated movies to bring in the families in a big way. As much as I hated all the early Frozen trailers focusing on all the humor and Olaf, Disney probably did the smart thing. :unsure:

• Like 1

Give me a break. Plenty of kids with good parents try things in middle and high school.

If anything trying to be super strict about it and sheltering your kid is often what leads to more intense usage problems later. In my experience, at least

• Like 2

Well, animation without stupid humor is sometimes a tough sell, adventure and awe is out, at least if it comes to OW, but let's see, what it can do in the long run. Frozen told us all a lesson: in the end, it's the heart, that succeeds.

• Like 5

Yeah 20 for Dragon & 23 for Jump Street would probably mean something close to low to mid 60's for both.  The Sunday drops will also be key, remember last year MOS fell less than 1% on Father's Day Sunday.  Of course, these films might not pull in that same demo.

Edited by Adam
  • Like 1

Well, animation without stupid humor is sometimes a tough sell, adventure and awe is out, at least if it comes to OW, but let's see, what it can do in the long run. Frozen told us all a lesson: in the end, it's the heart, that succeeds.

It could easily play like Frozen especially in the 4th of July Wknd. 

• Like 1