Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

Update from Nikki:

UPDATE FRIDAY 6:30PM:  Yes, I’m back doing box office. Right now #1 is  22 Jump Street (Sony Pictures – 3,306 theaters) leading with $24M-$26M today and a possible $59M-$65M for this weekend. While #2 is  How To Train Your Dragon 2 (DreamWorks Animation/Fox- 4,253 theaters) targeting $17M-$19M today for what could be a $47M to $52Meekend. Next update later tonight.

Posted Image

• Like 9

Just 2 animated films released between TS1 and TS2. Between HTTYD1 and HTTYD2 41 animations released wide.

http://boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=computeranimation.htm&sort=date&order=DESC&p=.htm

That's just an amazing stat.  Shows you how the computer animation genre has exploded since the original "Toy Story" in 95 almost 20 years ago.  

• Like 2

Your big comparison is Star Trek? Come on now. There was four years between Toy Story 1 and 2. You guys are making too big of a deal out of the 4 year gap here, particularly for a film as well liked as Dragon. You can't call an animated movie's performance on Friday night. Don't you know that by now?

But that was 1999. The gap now is more often not even three years. In the same way that movies are increasingly frontloaded, franchises should, if they're going for money, generally try to capitalise quickly.Toy Story was also a much bigger deal at the time than Dragon or Star Trek could ever hope to be. TS2 was the fourth CG film ever.
  • Like 3

Well, it's not like the budgets need to be massive or something. The two movies pretty much are shot entirely at schools and use background actors for students. There are also only TWO lead actors with Hill and Tatum. Ice Cube might get an okay pay for being a supporting actor, but I'm guessing it is still much less than Hill or Tatum.

22 Jump Street has more action sequences and location scenes than the first so I would have thought along with pay increases, the budget would be bumped up, not tentpole budget but larger than an average comedy.

• Like 1

Update from Nikki:

Posted by Nikki Finke Fri Jun 13, 2014 | 3:24pm PDTBox Office, Breaking, Film

UPDATE FRIDAY 6:30PM: Yes, I’m back doing box office. Right now #1 is 22 Jump Street (Sony Pictures – 3,306 theaters) leading with $24M-$26M today and a possible $59M-$65M for this weekend. While #2 is How To Train Your Dragon 2 (DreamWorks Animation/Fox- 4,253 theaters) targeting $17M-$19M today for what could be a $47M to $52Meekend. Next update later tonight.

Posted Image

Good for Jump Street. Very disappointing for Dragon

• Like 2

22 Jump Street has more action sequences and location scenes than the first so I would have thought along with pay increases, the budget would be bumped up, not tentpole budget but larger than an average comedy.

$50 million is larger than an average comedy. Most studio comedies are in the $20-40 million range these days. Even Adam Sandler's latest only cost $45 million.

• Like 2

Well let's face it, there's been a lack of interesting films released this year, it's been a bunch of unneeded sequels hence why we haven't even had a 300m grosser yet and it's 2014. We can't blame the GA for not giving EOT a try, it had poor marketing and it's positive reviews was a shock to most of us on here. The GA rarely check for reviews.

A lot of movies have interested me this year.

• Like 1

$50 million is larger than an average comedy. Most studio comedies are in the $20-40 million range these days. Even Adam Sandler's latest only cost $45 million.

That's cheap for an Adam Sandler film, usually his films are $60-80m but I guess he took a paycut for Blended. Only The Hangover Part II and III, Meet the Fockers and Little Fockers and How Do You Know had higher budgets between $80-100m which is insane for a comedy but is usually due to salaries.

• Like 2

No. 4 years is really pushing it. Waiting too long was a big reason why Star Trek ID decreased DOM. Also that's why the YA film franchises releases a new movie yearly, so the attention from people won't fade. :ph34r:

STiD didn't increase because it didn't look interesting enough, fact. Pretty much EOT.

• Like 1