Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

Yeah, it's the same in Finland. Summer is the dry season, box office wise. It's fucking cold the rest of the year so people want to enjoy the little warmth we get. 

It is so hot over here right now that I can understand theaters being empty. 

• Like 1

I just looked at the first Friday for Lego Movie and it only made about 17.5 on Friday, but a powerhouse Saturday allowed it to finish the weekend in the upper 60s.  Why can't Dragon have a huge Saturday and hit 60 million?  Why does Deadline have this finishing around 55 or so?  Maleficient's audience is too much competition? 

How do we know Dragon won't get to 60?  Lego Movie opened with 17.5 on Friday and ended up at 69 for OW.

Maybe I can explain it a little better than just, "it's summer."

You have to think about it like this, when Lego came out, school was in, so it didn't make that much during matinees.  Saturday came and everyone is out of school and it did banging business.  

Now it's summer so the animated movies do better on Friday because the kids can come to the matinee, and therefore the demand isn't as high on Saturday.

That's why animated movies don't have huge increases on Saturdays in the summer.

• Like 3

It's a shame families picked that trash over dragon 2.Literally the one movie with decent legs this summer was one of the bad ones.

Maleficent having decent legs is fucking tragic.

• Like 2

Just got back from 22 Jump Street...it was very good...pretty much equal to the first one in the terms of quality and much better than neighbors...

The one thing I really found missing was

Franco...he wasn't in this that much and looking back, he was a good part of 21 and why it was funny since he was playing against Hill/Tatum...

The theater attendance itself was pretty light...maybe 20% full and it got to that level just because a big group walked in a few minutes late...

• Like 3

Go X-men!

And I guess it's safe to assume Maleficent will beat Spidey domestically. Wow

I did call that one a few months ago. Godzilla on the other hand...never thought it could beat that.

The good news for Maleficent having legs, is that if a movie like that can hold so well, I would have to hope that Dragon 2 can hold phenomenally.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

The good news for Maleficent having legs, is that if a movie like that can hold so well, I would have to hope that Dragon 2 can hold phenomenally.

HTTYD2 is pretty much guaranteed to have great legs, not only because it had a small OW, but the lack of animated competition should keep it going strong for a long time.

• Like 1

Well congratulations for mediocrity in the form of Bromancing and dick humor over a quality movie like Dragons 2 appeared to be, but oh well.. Stranger things have happened I suppose..

You haven't seen either, but you're assuming Dragon is better than 22JS. Classic BKB.
  • Like 7

Everybody needs to stop calling Dragon a disappointment or a flop weekend.  Take a look at the domestic box office totals for Despicable Me 1 and Despicable Me 2.  Dragon gained a big following on DVD after its release after audiences heard how great it was.  So this will open at about 60...and then go on to make 275 domestic.  Stop writing the eulogy for this movie's funeral.

• Like 1