Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

Disney marketing might be the most powerful part of that equation. ^_^

SWATH had remarkable marketing IMO.  Better than Malef.

I think its more likely because it's not a re-imagining of a fairy tale to something more adult/dark like SWATH. But more tied to the classic Sleeping Beauty movie from Disney.  Just from a different POV.  That plus Jolie's star power doesn't hurt.

Variety: 

“Maleficent” also showed impressive legs. Despite facing a challenge on the family front from “How to Train Your Dragon 2,” the fantasy adventure hung on to rack up  another $19.8 million. Its domestic total now stands at $164 million, and globally the re-imagining of the “Sleeping Beauty” tale took in an estimated $56 million. With a global haul of $436 million, “Maleficent” now stands as Angelina Jolie’s second highest grossing live-action movie of all-time, behind “Mr & Mrs Smith." 

Oh please, if maleficent won the summer DOM then there would be something REALLY wrong this summer. What a huge upset that would be though lol. T4 should have this summer in the bag.

What if it ends up being... 22 Jump Street?

• Like 1

- 15 Captain America: The Winter Soldier BV $264,000 -36.7% 223 -94 $1,184 $256,324,000 $170 11                       - 18 The LEGO Movie WB $225,000 -21.9% 301 +27 $748 $256,328,000 $60 19

So close.....again.  I'll wait to actuals.  And of course WB will adjust up later in the week. :lol:

• Like 2

The holdovers didnt get destroyed by the openers. I wasnt expecting that. X-Men, Maleficent and EOT had great drops. Next weekend could be even better. No father's day but no competition. Hoping for several sub 40% drops...

22JS won't hit a 3X.

You better be right for the sake of my BSG, but I believe it will hit a 3x. Everyone except you seems to be loving it. I haven't seen it yet (only opens here on July 10), can't comment on that. 

Variety: 

“Maleficent” also showed impressive legs. Despite facing a challenge on the family front from “How to Train Your Dragon 2,” the fantasy adventure hung on to rack up  another $19.8 million. Its domestic total now stands at $164 million, and globally the re-imagining of the “Sleeping Beauty” tale took in an estimated $56 million. With a global haul of $436 million, “Maleficent” now stands as Angelina Jolie’s second highest grossing live-action movie of all-time, behind “Mr & Mrs Smith." 

$19.8M? I thought the studio estimates had it at just over $19M? Lol anyway hopefully it goes up in actuals like last weekend. And it was clearly hurt by Dragon2 as it had lower percent increases throughout the weekend compared to Huntsman. Good thing it is showing good legs.
  • Like 1