#ED

Wknd #s: TF4 - 36.4M | Tam - 21.2M (32.9M) | DUFE - 9.5M (15M) | ETE - 8.3M (13.5M) | pg49 (We love the 90s/70s)

I am not getting the benefit of releasing a film for the 4th of July. It looks like it hurts films more than helps. 

Based on the early numbers we've got, EtE may beat DUFE this weekend. I'm thinking if you can keep your budget down, Fourth of July isn't a terrible time for an E.T. ripoff...

Does anyone have budget of EtE?

• Like 1

Which is why he commented the way he did - open the weekend before have the whole week - open that weekend / Wednesday you only have those couple of days since the next weekend everything nosedives.

But Thankgiving weekend itself is great - 4th of July weekend not so much - hence the 62% tumble T4 is looking to take.  That's the drop a film usually gets the weekend after Thanksgiving

• Like 2

Kind of odd and amusing how 4th of July was basically treated as Thanksgiving weekend (which has become mostly a dumping ground outside of the occasional Disney movie released on it) this year.

Well Disney has been making the most out of Thanksgiving the past few years with Tangled, The Muppets and Frozen. Let's see how DW will do it this year with Penguins of Madagascar since their last Thanksgiving released definitely underperformed (Rise of the Guardians).
  • Like 1

Tammy will go north of 30m for 5-day with a 6.4m Friday.

It's on 18.1 including Friday, needs just 12m more on Sat and Sun.

Sat should increase to 8-9m and Sun should put it around 32-33m.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

TF4 (-74%)

HTTYD2 (-32%)

22 JS (-51%)

Maleficent (-23%)

JB (-16%)

TLAM2 (-59%)

EOT (-37.5%)

JB and Malef held easily the best. Malef has legitimate shot to beat DOFP now. 

Dat Tele demographic

EoT's hold is pretty impressive considering it lost 40% of its theaters.

• Like 5

But Thankgiving weekend itself is great - 4th of July weekend not so much - hence the 62% tumble T4 is looking to take.  That's the drop a film usually gets the weekend after Thanksgiving

it's like arguing Christmas is bad because of Christmas Eve. The 4th itself isn't as strong but the days around it are stronger due to more people being off work. This year looks worse than normal because the 4th fell on a Friday deflating the weekend a little bit.
  • Like 2

Remember these stories prior to the movie's release? 

Disney Left Worried Angelina Jolie’s New Movie Maleficent Will Flop Because It’s Too Scary?

Reports speculate that retelling of the Sleeping Beauty story will misfire at box office

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/145882/Disney-Left-Worried-Angelina-Jolies-New-Movie-Maleficent-Will-Flop-Because-Its-Too-Scary#Exb4ykPpeyGe8eST.99

• Like 2

Some asshat has decided to light off some more fireworks. Hey it's midnight, enough

They are stll going in my neighborhood. Probably won't stop until 2 or 3 am. They go crazy here. 

• Like 1

Tammy will go north of 30m for 5-day with a 6.4m Friday.

It's on 18.1 including Friday, needs just 12m more on Sat and Sun.

Sat should increase to 8-9m and Sun should put it around 32-33m.

Tammy looks like a Friday movie...i dont expect that increase on Saturday. Should barely crack 30m for the 5 days though.

• Like 1

Based on the early numbers we've got, EtE may beat DUFE this weekend. I'm thinking if you can keep your budget down, Fourth of July isn't a terrible time for an E.T. ripoff...

Does anyone have budget of EtE?

12m apparently.

• Like 1

Hard to believe that Maleficent has a legit chance at top 2-3 of the summer just shocking in my book.

It speaks more about how the crummy the summer's box office has been more than anything.

• Like 1