Ash Skywalker

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials | In theaters

Fuck the critics giving this 1-2 stars, this movie was nowhere near that bad. Not perfect, mostly because of some weak dialogue, but the reveals(that didn't happen in the book, but totally elevate the story), characters, and action were all well done. I also never once thought the older actors were hamming it in either, everyone in the cast seemed to be giving it their all. 

Edited by 2spooky4u
  • Like 1

Just saw it and I'm not going to to have the time to post my full thoughts but just a quick check-in.

I'm pretty biased about the first one; I know it isn't fantastic, but I love it. This movie is admittedly better-made than the first, and while it loses the Maze aspect, you don't feel that it's missing because the movie has its own obstacles that entertain. Effects were amazing. Action was great: I would say better zombie action than even World War Z.

Dialogue had some "iffy moments" but nowhere near as many times as the first. While I still think the books did a much much better job at building the characters, the movie didn't do a bad job towards the end but it did focus too much on the

Brenda

character than the other supporting characters.

Very Empire Strikes Back-y. Not just with the darker tone, but the ending you totally see the connection. And it is NOTHING like the book (in a good way). My friend (who is one of those people who can't stand when they change it from the book) came up to me after the movie and she said "I get what you've been saying this whole time! When they change it a lot, the movie can be better than the book!"

Anyways I'm tired and can't coalesce my thoughts into a review tonight. But I will say that it's really good, minutes a few minutes before the final act that drag, I really do think this is the "Catching Fire" of the series.

When I first saw the trailer for The Scorch Trials I literally couldn't wait until it finally came out. However after seeing it tonight, I can't help but feeling slightly underwhelmed 

I absolutely loved The Maze Runner books. In fact, The Scorch Trials is one of the best, if not THE best YA I have read so far. It was completely unpredictable, you really didn't know what was going to happen next  . The plot was so well written that I couldn't help feeling slightly anxious that it might not completely follow the story.

Unfortunately I was right, in my opinion the plot went too far-off course. There was so much that was brushed over which I thought was crucial to the whole series.  I do know that they can only fit a certain amount of things into a 2 hr film but I still felt like some things could have been added.

I would also like to comment of the portrayal of the cranks. In the movie, they were depicted as basically just hungry zombies which seemed slightly unoriginal as zombies are not uncommon in movies. In the book you see they are so much more than that. The book describes them as humans losing their grip on sanity, instead of bloodthirsty monsters. I personally found the idea of psychotic humans slipping in and out of lunacy far more sinister.As a whole the book was far more sinister and twisted, which is what made it impossible to put down.However because of it's age rating (12A) I seriously doubted they were going to add too many disturbing.

Yet, apart from some slight issues, I thought the acting was pretty good  and the CGI was incredible. I can't wait to see how they end this series  :D