HeyItsMoses

Can Any Universe Top Marvel?

28 members have voted

1. 1. Can Any Universe Top The Marvel Universe?

• NO! The Marvel Universe will Forever be the Biggest!
    • Yes! Hollywood Will Think of Something..

I was watching the end scenes of Thor 2 (saw it in theaters, but slept through most of it), and it explained a lot of stuff to me. Which got me thinking of the scope and size of this Universe. 

It's fuckin insane! I mean think about it, they have fuckin PHASES for this Giant Fuckin Story Arch! 

Phase 1

1. Iron Man

2. The Incredible Hulk

3. Iron Man 2

4. Thor

5. Captain America: The First Avenger

6. The Avengers

Phase 2

7. Iron Man 3

8. Thor: The Dark World

9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

10. Guardians of the Galaxy

11. Avengers: Age of Ultron

Phase 3

12. Antman

13. Captain America 3

14. Thor 3

15. Doctor Strange?

16. The Incredible Hulk 2? 

17. Guardians of the Galaxy 2?

18. Avengers 3?

I don't know what else they got planed after Captain America 3. I would think that they'd have another Thor movie, and maybe even have a Trilogy for the other Franchises (Hulk, Guardians, Dr. Strange, Antman)?!

This is probably the most elaborate and complex Universe we have ever seen. 

Do you think anything can ever top this?!

I think that this Universe will stand the test of time, and be talked about for generations to come.

But that's just my opinion.

I've got a strong feeling that the DC Universe might surpass it.

With heroes even bigger than Marvel in their line up.... Very strong chance that it could happen.

:)...Well come to think of it DC movies like Batman and SUperman have earned more than Marvel so its

going to interesting how big their Movie and TV universe becomes.

Loads of universes already have.

Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter...I think it's an endless list.

This "universe" is the least imaginative there is. Just because there's another superhero who doesn't help when there is a world-ending disaster ongoing, does not make it even an OK universe.

Hell, most sci-fi films worth their salt catapult ahead of this universe immediately.

I don't think DC can do it. Man of Steel might be the start of them creating their Universe, but I don't think it's going to be as big and complex as how Marvel does it.

Looking at the two studios, DC doesn't stand a chance against Marvel.

Marvel grossed $6,467.9m from 34 movies, averaging $190.2m per movie with their biggest grosser being The Avengers with $623.4m.

DC grossed $3,311.6m from 25 movies, averaging $132.5m per movie with their biggest grosser being The Dark Knight with $533.3m.

With inflation, Marvel beats DC $7,274.1m to $4,802.1m and the averages from $213.9m to $192.1m.

If you wanna compare tickets sold. Marvel trumps DC with 913.8m to 603.3m, that's over 300m more tickets!

If DC was to set up an Avengers type of universe with the Justice League, how are they gonna do it?

It seems to be going from Man of Steel, to Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice...then what? Superman and Batman are their two biggest superheros. Not sure if The Flash, Wonder Woman, or even Aquaman will do good. They tried Green Lantern, and that shit was garbage.

I don't think DC can do it. Man of Steel might be the start of them creating their Universe, but I don't think it's going to be as big and complex as how Marvel does it.

Looking at the two studios, DC doesn't stand a chance against Marvel.

Marvel grossed $6,467.9m from 34 movies, averaging $190.2m per movie with their biggest grosser being The Avengers with $623.4m.

DC grossed $3,311.6m from 25 movies, averaging $132.5m per movie with their biggest grosser being The Dark Knight with $533.3m.

With inflation, Marvel beats DC $7,274.1m to $4,802.1m and the averages from $213.9m to $192.1m.

If you wanna compare tickets sold. Marvel trumps DC with 913.8m to 603.3m, that's over 300m more tickets!

If DC was to set up an Avengers type of universe with the Justice League, how are they gonna do it?

It seems to be going from Man of Steel, to Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice...then what? Superman and Batman are their two biggest superheros. Not sure if The Flash, Wonder Woman, or even Aquaman will do good. They tried Green Lantern, and that shit was garbage.

More movies, honey.

You just said that yourself.

And they already have, quality-wise.

Nolanverse > Marvel Universe.

• Like 1

It is difficult to say. First of all, let's fix what is an "universe" or just a franchise. If we only talk about comics, we just have Marvel for the moment, and let's remember that until Avengers, MCU was not the monster it is today. Just Iron Man did great numbers in US before TA. Let's wait what happens with DC when Justice League be released. We just have Man of Steel and plenty of speculations.

And if we talk about other possible universes, you can include Star Wars, which is for the moment unbeatable in US if you adjust for inflation. And considering Disney is going to expand it, Marvel has a serious rival there.

We already do not know if the 3 sequels of Avatar will be enough to consider it an Universe brand. We do not know if later, in the future, we could have more movies.

And Harry Potter with some new spin offs could be another big rival.

And I know it is difficult, but who knows if in the future we will have Silmarillion movies to expand Lord of the Rings universe, which could be nearly unlimited.

There are many options, but I agree that MCU has advantage in relation to their competitors.

If MoS and the generally sloppy way the franchise is being handled by WB is any indication, no. No it won't.

I suppose if the Star Wars universe branches out enough and we start to get films with a lot more variety in genre and tone (which is easily possible in a universe like the Star Wars one), then it could likely surpass Marvel.

• Like 1

I was watching the end scenes of Thor 2 (saw it in theaters, but slept through most of it), and it explained a lot of stuff to me. Which got me thinking of the scope and size of this Universe. 

It's fuckin insane! I mean think about it, they have fuckin PHASES for this Giant Fuckin Story Arch! 

Phase 1

1. Iron Man

2. The Incredible Hulk

3. Iron Man 2

4. Thor

5. Captain America: The First Avenger

6. The Avengers

Phase 2

7. Iron Man 3

8. Thor: The Dark World

9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

10. Guardians of the Galaxy

11. Avengers: Age of Ultron

Phase 3

12. Antman

13. Captain America 3

14. Thor 3

15. Doctor Strange?

16. The Incredible Hulk 2? 

17. Guardians of the Galaxy 2?

18. Avengers 3?

Phase 2 also includes Agents of Shield and Agent Carter.

Phase 3 also includes Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Defenders, and possibly more AOS and AC.

• Like 2

On the other hand, DC's first attempt at universe-starting was a complete bomb with Green Lantern.

Their second attempt with MOS fared better at the box office, but was considered such a terrible movie that DC gave up on whatever direction they were going and just decided to dump every single character they ever created into the sequel.

We'll see how spectacularly the "characters with no context" plan fails.

• Like 2

On the other hand, DC's first attempt at universe-starting was a complete bomb with Green Lantern.

Their second attempt with MOS fared better at the box office, but was considered such a terrible movie that DC gave up on whatever direction they were going and just decided to dump every single character they ever created into the sequel.

We'll see how spectacularly the "characters with no context" plan fails.

I think you mean WB. DC is just a brand name at this point. The execs at WB are just rushing everything together because they no clue what to do with these properties that they have, that they no real ambition to use.

It's fucking pathetic, but as a DC fan you gotta live with it.

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 1

DC could possibly surpass it eventually. Also Fox's X-Men universe I think can definitely surpass it.

How could DC possibly surpass it? Haven't they already said that their tv shows will not be part of the connected universe? That automatically puts their connected universe in a huge hole compared to Marvel's.

• Like 3

I was watching the end scenes of Thor 2 (saw it in theaters, but slept through most of it), and it explained a lot of stuff to me. Which got me thinking of the scope and size of this Universe. It's fuckin insane! I mean think about it, they have fuckin PHASES for this Giant Fuckin Story Arch! Phase 11. Iron Man2. The Incredible Hulk3. Iron Man 24. Thor5. Captain America: The First Avenger6. The Avengers Phase 27. Iron Man 38. Thor: The Dark World9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier10. Guardians of the Galaxy11. Avengers: Age of Ultron Phase 312. Antman13. Captain America 314. Thor 315. Doctor Strange?16. The Incredible Hulk 2? 17. Guardians of the Galaxy 2?18. Avengers 3? I don't know what else they got planed after Captain America 3. I would think that they'd have another Thor movie, and maybe even have a Trilogy for the other Franchises (Hulk, Guardians, Dr. Strange, Antman)?! This is probably the most elaborate and complex Universe we have ever seen. Do you think anything can ever top this?! I think that this Universe will stand the test of time, and be talked about for generations to come. But that's just my opinion.

Agreed 100%

I don't think it has a chance. I think it'll do very well for itself, but I don't see it matching or topping the MCU. The MCU is so elaborate. It has films, tv shows, Netflix shows, and let's not forget Marvel one shots.