CJohn

Weekend Estimates: The Purge 28.3M | Apes 36M | Sex Tape 15M | Planes 18M | Godzilla 470k +91% 198.9m!!! | More Numbers on Page 1

GODZILLA was a success. :)

Godzilla is a financial success. But, it is not a success with audiences which is what matters when it comes to sequels, HV sales, etc. To have the multiplier it did, opening the week prior to MD weekend during a very weak summer is beyond embarrassing.

Edited by CloneWars

Godzilla is a financial success. But, it is not a success with audiences which is what matters when it comes to sequels, HV sales, etc. To have the multiplier it did, opening the week prior to MD weekend during a very weak summer is beyond embarrassing.

Bitch, it hasn't even come out on DVD.

Let's just wait and see.

You know what's beyond embarrassing? This summer and that fact Maleficent is probably gonna beat DOFP.

Bye.

Edited by Claire Nolan Holt
  • Like 5

Godzilla did good at the box office. It more than tripled it's production budget and it did really well in NA. This isn't another Pacific Rim people. This movie needed to make $380M to break even, it did that and more. A lot of the reasons for the movie's bad legs was that a huge Blockbuster like X-Men:DOFP opened the very next week, I don't care if you guys keep saying that had nothing to do with, it clearly had a lot to do with it. DOFP opened to $90M+ DOM and $170M OS. Plus the fact that when it was released in China, it has just 2 weeks before the monstrous TF4 came. It would have done easily 90+ in China if it had a normal release like any movie. The movie faced HUGE competition and the WOM clearly didn't help. But I'm 100% confident if the movie was given a better release date without too much competition it woukd have crossed $230M DOM and $600M WW.I had to get that off my chest. I hope the sequel is even better and performs stronger. I think the sequel should get the weekend before the 4th of July just like the Transformers films.

The fact is, if you need no competition to get 230M, your movie isn't doing that well. It was just overratted in

previeuws...

Btw: The production cost and marketing cost total was 225M so It didn't tripple it's budget....

Edited by pepsa

Shame about all the parts before that, huh.

The human parts are clearly less enjoyable than the monsters / Godzilla ones, but even before the last part you get to see the monsters quite often, which was still nice.

And actually I thought that the human scenes were not as bad as I feared.

Overall I really liked it, but clearly when I will watch it again at home on a "small" screen the experience will be totally different. 

• Like 2

Overall I really liked it, but clearly when I will watch it again at home on a "small" screen the experience will be totally different. 

It felt different for me just going to a normal movie screen after seeing it in IMAX.  I will still buy it but I think that got me prepared to see it on a smaller screen :P

• Like 2

Godzilla had an amazing final act and fairly mediocre buildup. The focus on Aaron Taylor-Johnson almost kills the movie.

Still glad it had a good dollar theater boost.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 2