Neo

THE Incredibles 2 | June 15, 2018 | NO SPOILERS!!!!

Just now, PNF2187 said:

Toy Story (thus far) has been the only Pixar franchise to increase their admissions with each successive entry (going up by roughly 4 million admissions each time). Dory had a very minor decrease in admissions, while the Cars have decreased sharply with each entry (though the delta is decreasing). Monsters U went down quite a bit from Monsters Inc.

Debatable if TS3 increased because of 3D (and 3D shares were very high that year). If it did increase, it wasn't by 4m admission. Maybe by like <1m or stayed even. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Debatable if TS3 increased because of 3D (and 3D shares were very high that year). If it did increase, it wasn't by 4m admission. Maybe by like <1m or stayed even. 

I'm just going off based on BOM's estimated ticket sales. Adj for inflation numbers are increasing for each entry ($391M vs $427M vs $466M)

9 minutes ago, PNF2187 said:

Toy Story (thus far) has been the only Pixar franchise to increase their admissions with each successive entry (going up by roughly 4 million admissions each time). Dory had a very minor decrease in admissions, while the Cars have decreased sharply with each entry (though the delta is decreasing). Monsters U went down quite a bit from Monsters Inc.

Did DORY increase or decrease in admissions from NEMO's original theatrical run? That's the question. NEMO was re-released so it's not a fair comparison.

Nevermind, just checked. It was in fact still a small decrease 

So Toy Story and Finding Nemo are the consensus two most popular and beloved Pixar movies/ franchises, right? Would The Incredibles be the 3rd? Asking because I'm just trying to gauge what to expect out of this sequel

With FINDING DORY, everyone just knew it would be a monster. It almost went without saying because of the legacy of the first one. Is THE INCREDIBLES in that category, albeit below TOY STORY and FINDING NEMO? One thing I know it has going for it, that both TOY STORY 3 and FINDING DORY had as well, is the amount of time since the last movie. It automatically gives the movie the nostalgic event feel, even if the original didn't necessarily have a cult status or anything.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JB33 said:

So Toy Story and Finding Nemo are the consensus two most popular and beloved Pixar movies/ franchises, right? Would The Incredibles be the 3rd? Asking because I'm just trying to gauge what to expect out of this sequel

With FINDING DORY, everyone just knew it would be a monster. It almost went without saying because of the legacy of the first one. Is THE INCREDIBLES in that category, albeit below TOY STORY and FINDING NEMO? One thing I know it has going for it, that both TOY STORY 3 and FINDING DORY had as well, is the amount of time since the last movie. It automatically gives the movie the nostalgic event feel, even if the original didn't necessarily have a cult status or anything.

Monsters Inc would be third based off of admissions. That's why I've said all along it's not exactly logical to be expecting 400+ when the first wasn't even as popular as Monsters Inc. To be fair, this sequel has been demanded among fans for years and MU wasn't asked for by anyone, so I'm not at all saying it will only do MU level grosses but 400+ is unlikely. 

This and HT3 are the only major animated films of the summer and HT3 won't be as big as an Illumination movie. I can see long legs for this not to mention Incredible 1 opened in a much more competitive timeframe.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

So then I'm guessing  you're expecting 450+? That's asking for a pretty huge admission increase when the only Pixar sequel to ever have a notable admissions increase was TS2, and not by as much as that would be for Incredibles 2. 

I think this is more universally appealing than FD or TS III.

10 hours ago, Morieris said:

People asked for an Incredibles 2.

I guess someone, somewhere out there asked for a Nemo sequel...

That someone was named Ellen and that somewhere was her popular tv show called The Ellen Show, on which she made her wishes loud and clear on a consistent basis for years.

but not nearly as many who wanted TI2. That alone changes the game. 

Hmm, don't know about that. I know I personally wanted TI2 more than FD but TI never really made Nemo numbers and merchandising/parks wise Nemo seemed bigger too.

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Definitely disagree since TS and Nemo remained hugely relevant with kids, whereas I don't think that's so much the case with Incredibles. I think the biggest appeal here is in the adult demo. 

I think it would have been better if they had aged up the family in real time since the original movie (14 years) for that very reason. There would have been a more stronger resonance with the generation of fans to have Violet be in her late 20's, Dash going to college and JackJack being the adolescent stand-in. People are still going to watch it of course.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bladels said:

The expectation for this movie is incredibly high that seems impossible for it to not disappoint.

The first movie has some of the most iconic scenes of all time, that NO CAPES scene is absolutely gold. 

Fun fact: That bit was inspired by Watchmen (original graphic novel). Brad Bird got an incredibly juicy sequence out of it, while Zack Snyder... got a pretty shot.

death-of-dollar-bills.jpg

2 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Fun fact: That bit was inspired by Watchmen (original graphic novel). Brad Bird got an incredibly juicy sequence out of it, while Zack Snyder... got a pretty shot.

death-of-dollar-bills.jpg

Well the Snyder version looks good, and it isn't that bad, but The Incredibles reference is definitely more "fun". It was actually The Incredibles where I first discovered that too, years before I even started reading Watchmen. It was cool to go back, and discover where the origins of that gag came from.