Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

From the Deadline article comments section:

Joe C. says:

Guardian’s of the Galaxy is not a staple of the Marvel Franchise. People watch the Marvel brand for what they know: Captian America, Thor, The Avengers. Guardians of the galaxy is being shoved down people’s throats with a colossal marketing push but will only yield tepid results. It will do 35.5 million tops.

Opening day and he might be correct.

• Like 1

Hoping it can pull ahead or at least on par with TWS sometime. I can definitely understand the lower start, it seems like GOTG is on a bit less screens than they were, and less screens means less early shows.

It's in more theaters and reportedly had more screens last night in addition to the one hr earlier start.

Hate to point out the obvious but 100 m OW is anything but a lock. It's a lot easier to make $11 million from Thursday showings at the end of July than it is to make $10 million from Thursday showings in early freakin' April and Cap 2 still didn't make it to 100 m OW.

That said the number is incredible and I do think that a 80+ m OW is pretty much locked.

Cap 2 was also a sequel, Guardians is being treated like an original property with the Marvel name (similar to how Pixar's original movies were in their prime), I think Guardians number is equally as impressive, nobody predicted those previews until they actually happened.

Plus, Guardians will have a bigger saturday due to being a bigger family movie, and its sunday wont drop as much because I believe Cap 2 had competition on its sunday.

• Like 2

Disney had data that told them this would be a success, that s why they announced the sequel before the release of the movie.

Disney was saying $60-65 m opening this w/e.  Now they usually low ball by about $5-10m but not $20m-30m. 

They're probably also making a ton of money from Rocket stuff toys.

• Like 1

Cap 2 was also a sequel, Guardians is being treated like an original property with the Marvel name (similar to how Pixar's original movies were in their prime), I think Guardians number is equally as impressive, nobody predicted those previews until they actually happened.

Plus, Guardians will have a bigger saturday due to being a bigger family movie, and its sunday wont drop as much because I believe Cap 2 had competition on its sunday.

Saturdays don't rise that high in summer especially for family/children movies - see Dragon 2 or Planes 2