Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

Thiis is pretty much why those conversation turn out to be strange and a bit "useless" most of the time, people going on about a word without giving a clear definition of what they mean by that (in a context that is not clearly obvious), are the intention sincere, is the movie that person would have made regardless of any outside pressure of what they had in their head as their dream movie is what a sincere movie is ?

Is having no calculation made in the process of making the movie is being sincere ?

Really not sure exactly what people mean, there is obvious example of "insincere" movies, pure calculation of making money like Angry Bird and San Andreas, pure market study transferred into screen that do not represent an artist true feeling/belief and desire, not the movie he would have made he if could have made anything he really wanted (I guess that the best definition of a sincere movie), but then again they could be sincere that this is exactly what they are doing.

The assumption people know what are the motivations of filmmakers always make me laugh.

Is humilty too much to ask ?

Is there a purity test to pass, who decides what is sincere and what is not ?

Please ...

Edited by The Futurist
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RRA said:

Kevin Feige is thinking “good thing I picked the right person for Black Panther.”

He didn't pick the right person. The right person came to him after successfully semi-rebooting a franchise. That was possible only after she had departed from the project.

Edited by marveldcfox

From what I'm reading of the pull quotes from the reviews it's sounding a bit like the reception Cloud Atlas got. Looking at the top critics for Cloud Atlas on RT, there's a lot saying wtte "it's a mess, but still an ambitious mess". Which I don't agree with at all so I hope this turns out that way.

4 hours ago, syntaxerror said:

Whats with Disney and 'original' movies? The get great, hyped-up directors (Duvernay, Andrew Stanton, Brad Bird) each time but it just doesn't work.

True. They suck most of the time when it comes to these live action, non-Disney classics. They ruin them all the time. And yes, they are all boring.

3 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

True. They suck most of the time when it comes to these live action, non-Disney classics. They ruin them all the time. And yes, they are all boring.

cause modern Disney can only buy already famous franchises (Is anyone remember that first 4 Marvel movies wasn't Disney property?) and make it bigger. That's all.

Strange.

Edited by KeepItU25071906
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

He didn't pick the right person. The right person came to him after successfully semi-rebooting a franchise. That was possible only after she had departed from the project.

Coogler isn't the one that came to Feige - it doesn't work that way.  DuVernay was never on the project.  They had meetings and it wasn't a match.  She was never hired as the director.

Shockingly, producers and studios don't hire the first, let alone every, director they have meetings with and directors don't decide to make movies for every meeting they take.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

When does the Wrinkle in Time review embargo lift again?

I keep hearing the reviews are coming on Wednesday morning, but can't find the exact time anywhere. Weird.

11 AM I believe.

@Porthos 

This wouldn't be the first film ever made to get praised as a ambitious mess. In fact, film criticism is replete with just these sorts of reviews.

Yep, this is nothing new and happens all the time when critics darling directors stumble so badly critics would look really stupid to give them a pass. Yet they still want to pat the fave on the back and say they love them. Happened with Lovely Bones (they somehow gave PJ a pass for Kong but LB was so bad they couldn't, hence "beautiful mess" type of preface to negative reviews). Just wait when current darlings Villeneuve and Garland stumble. There will be 2 pages of prefacing love for their previous work before we get to BUT. It's gonna happen cause they make pretentious, boring movies that don't click with the audience so it's a matter of time when critics won't click either.

So yeah, aside taking a jab at those 2 directors whose overpraise I just don't get :P point of this exercise is to show that "beautiful mess" type of reviews wasn't invented yesterday cause DuVerney didn't deliver. They existed since forever and acting like there's a conspiracy is just :hahaha: 

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Some films and projects do simply have a floor for how bad their reviews (and ensuing legacy) can be. A big budget adaptation of a beloved novel by a respected filmmaker is going to have its lifelong defenders no matter what.

This. Agreed.

28 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Some films and projects do simply have a floor for how bad their reviews (and ensuing legacy) can be. A big budget adaptation of a beloved novel by a respected filmmaker is going to have its lifelong defenders no matter what.

Exactly right. Look no further than LONE RANGER or JOHN CARTER or THE HOBBITs. Also READY PLAYER ONE (likely).

This is just the latest example that the internet demands either raves or pans. No nuance. 

Edited by Telehilation
  • Like 3

I mean, I don't think it's a bad thing. Being able to fail spectacularly is typically a privilege of those who have earned the clout to get the chance to do so. When a talented auteur fails, it usually IS a lot more interesting than a failure by a director for hire.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2