filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

I think 4 movies opening with 7 PM and 8 PM showings on Thursday night obviously affected Guardians. So I think a drop around 50% like most people were expecting still seems pretty likely.

Its going to need a good 70% jump today at least for that, not impossible but definitely on the high end for this time of year

But guys is this a sign of frontloadedness for "Guardians"? or give "Turtles" it's credit, it clearly appeals to some of the same demo's as "Guardians".  People also forget that "Ninja Turtles" is technically a "Comic-Book" movie also.  

• Like 2

Hopefully this is a minor dent and Turtles is incredibly front loaded  :unsure:

Hopefully this is a minor dent and Turtles is incredibly front loaded  :unsure:

just accept the fact that turtles are more popular than people give it credit for.
  • Like 4

I'll just pull this outta my ass. Guardians wins the weekend, around $45-47 million, and Turtles comes in a VERY close second with $44-46 million.

If Paramount fudges that statistic tho...  :rant: 

Edited by Alpha

But guys is this a sign of frontloadedness for "Guardians"? or give "Turtles" it's credit, it clearly appeals to some of the same demo's as "Guardians".  People also forget that "Ninja Turtles" is technically a "Comic-Book" movie also.  

It's not a sign of frontloadedness.  It's taking a while for people to remember Thursday previews for new movies mean that last weeks releases are going to take a hit.  This week there were 4 movies with previews at 7 and 8.  That's going to effect the movie.

The competing demos didn't help either, I'm not ignoring that.  Same thing happened to Apes on it's first Thursday.

As was being said by others, there were four openers yesterday, so a relatively steep drop is not surprising. I think a weekend over $45m for Guardians is still possible, though it's going to be tough.

I think 4 movies opening with 7 PM and 8 PM showings on Thursday night obviously affected Guardians. So I think a drop around 50% like most people were expecting still seems pretty likely.

It lost a huge chunk of it's big screens which have a premium ticket price Into The Storm.

I think Turtles will be more competition in the morning, afternoon and early evening shows because of it appeal to very young children than it was in the post 7pm shows.

A 50% drop would need an 75% Thu-Fri jump and then a 50% Sat jump. Ehhhh...

GOTG does bad 1 day and now everyone panics? It will be fine.

People want a breakout so bad this summer but the Legs have been bad all around for the most part.  I think "Guardians" has already outdone expectations but people have this obsession with it beating "Transformers 4". 

People want a breakout so bad this summer but the Legs have been bad all around for the most part.  I think "Guardians" has already outdone expectations but people have this obsession with it beating "Transformers 4". 

Well we already know that's a done deal domestically.  B)

• Like 1

Its going to need a good 70% jump today at least for that, not impossible but definitely on the high end for this time of year

Well not really. 2 Guns managed to increase 70% on Friday, Rise of the Planet of the Apes increased 87%, heck Tomb of the Dragon Emperor increased 70%. Those had pretty much the same release date as Guardians butnon different years. So a 70%+ increase is certainly not abnormal in the slightest.
  • Like 1

no people want it to win the summer in general. Nothing wrong with that imo.

It's going to be close but let's see how it holds this weekend.  I think TF4 still has the edge right now.