Fancyarcher

Tuesday Estimates (RTH): TMNT (7.4), GOTG (6.6)

Isn't most of that from the pre-views similar to cinemascore? TMNT haas later pre-screenings thus a higher ratio of older audiences because of how late it was. It's why it had Maleficent type preview numbers and weekend numbers, it played to children.

I think it was about the release weekend.

In preparation for the upcoming number - percentages comparison... for the ones who might have forgotten it:

CA 2 had at its 3rd weekend the Eastern holidays => starting a couple of days before the percentages seem to be a bit out of whack (and later on a few regional ones)

In a way a bit interesting (to me), Godzilla had a '11th day' Monday holiday, CA 2 eastern, X-Men's first Monday too, Transformers had after 1 week a Thursday one ...  => 4 out of over $90m openers had a little help within the first 2 weeks

ASM 2 got a little late and so not that a big jump at Memorial Day (again a Monday) at it's 25th day of release

GotG & TMNT have to wait for Labor day to get a little push, at it's 32th day of release for GotG and 7 days less for TMNT => really curious about those 2 movies percentage at Labor Day...

It does seem like the one-two punch of GOTG and Turtles are giving families a good dose of entertainment this summer. Because it really did seem like pickings were a bit slim for that demographic since May, HTTYD/Planes/etc. just not looking appealing for the demo. 

Am I wrong on that? 

Nope. Once again, Hollywood has shown they either schedule too many big movies or too little  :P one year, 7 kids movies in a single summer (2010, 2013). the next year? 2 (Maleficent, HTTYD2 for 2014 - Earth to Echo and Planes 2 are meh). We have 11 comedies next summer - half of which are aiming for the same R rated demo (Spy, Entourage, Ted 2, Trainwreck, Grimsby). 

Seriously, who thought leaving nearly two months between kids/family movies was a good idea? HTTYD2 2 weeks after Maleficent? When the July 4th weekend was wide-open for a kids movie to sweep in the big bucks like DM2 last year? 

TMNT and Maleficent are sadly going to be the highest grossing kids movies of this summer (guessing $185 million for TMNT and $240 million for Maleficent) while HTTYD2 gets $170 million and quietly fades away. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 1

For the digits....

BoxOffice @BoxOffice 41 secs

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY took in $6.61M on Tuesday. Domestic total now stands at $188.47M. #GuardiansOfTheGalaxy #GOTG

BoxOffice @BoxOffice 11 mins

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES took in $7.57M on Tuesday. 5-Day domestic total stands at $79.82M. #TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles #TMNT

BoxOffice @BoxOffice 11 mins

LUCY surpassed the $100M domestic mark on on Tuesday after grossing $1.51M for the day. #Lucy

• Like 2

I wasn't a big fan of Lucy to be honest, but I'm really happy it was able to cross the milestone.

I think 175 is the goal for turtles, and 285 for Guardians. I hope Into the Storm can crawl to 50, as I quite enjoyed it

• Like 1

Guardians will be around $220m by the end of next weekend, and it should make at least $275m for its final total. This is the first time in recorded box office history that a film from August won the the summer.

Posted Image

Sixth Sense and Rush Hour 2 came close (2nd place) but yeah this is kinda insane in the membrane.  :lol:

GotG - $290 million

TMNT - $185 million 

Let's Be Cops - $140 million 

Hard to believe 3 August releases could each do that well at the same time. Then again, Bourne Ultimatum, rush Hour 3 and Superbad all did remarkable well, too and also very similar. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 2

Sixth Sense and Rush Hour 2 came close (2nd place) but yeah this is kinda insane in the membrane.  :lol:

GotG - $290 million

TMNT - $185 million 

Let's Be Cops - $140 million 

Hard to believe 3 August releases could each do that well at the same time. Then again, Bourne Ultimatum, rush Hour 3 and Superbad all did remarkable well, too and also very similar. 

Wait? What? LBC's tracking that well?

Highest by quite a bit :)

BY DAY OF WEEK | BY DAY NUMBER

DAY Posted Image
Captain America 2
Posted Image
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Posted Image
Godzilla
Posted Image
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Posted Image
Transformers 4
Posted Image
Guardians of the Galaxy
Tue $4,726,740
+36.5% / -32.3%
$167,072,687 / 12
$2,904,908
+28.9% / -53.4%
$151,360,994 / 12
$2,689,400
-64.1% / -61.3%
$158,475,065 / 12
$3,787,895
+19.7% / -53.8%
$168,972,004 / 12
$5,230,389
+9.6% / -49.8%
$185,396,529 / 12
$6,609,534
+23.7% / -44.5%
$188,469,200 / 12

• Like 2

Highest by quite a bit :)

Aside from GOTG only Trans4 was released mid summer with all school out so weekdays are not really comparable. (DOFP developed late legs with the help of full school out summer days) More telling and impressive is the week to week drop.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1