Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

If China likes it with a 40m open it could still do great there and do 100+ million. People just get upset because many that hated CM (even before seeing it) really wanted this to do better. Who cares?

It's going to do well and it will get a sequel because it has awesome reviews + a good cast.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

It's going to do well and it will get a sequel because it has awesome reviews a good cast.

Calling it now it'll be the reverse of Furious movies vs Hobbs spin off fallout with Rock pushing these movies

Edited by NamakFiskKa

Just now, NamakFiskKa said:

Which is... pretty low even Tomb Raider did more but WW legged it out so there's chance for 100M+

which would make it the 2nd DC movie (no telling how rare that is for WB in general) of all time to do so

21 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

People just get upset because many that hated CM (even before seeing it) really wanted this to do better.

There is no way this could have ever reached those kind of numbers.  WB hasn't put the money into it and it's not tied to the biggest movie of the year. I hope nobody was actually hoping for that..     that's like hoping Us could do $120M opening weekend or something outlandish.  Movies have a ceiling and that ceiling is largely dependent on how the studio itself perceives the property. 

In other words,  most cases you have to spend money to make money.  WB will be happy for this to turn a nice profit. Only fans are hoping for outrageous heights that could never be. 

Edited by Johnny Tran
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, cdsacken said:

If China likes it with a 40m open it could still do great there and do 100+ million. People just get upset because many that hated CM (even before seeing it) really wanted this to do better. Who cares?

It's going to do well and it will get a sequel because it has awesome reviews + a good cast.

This movie isn’t even on the same planet in terms of hype like CM was. Shazam wasn’t the after credit scene in one of the biggest movies of all time.

People who wanted Shazam to do better just cause they hate female lead super hero movies are idiots. It’s fine if you want Shazam to do better cause you like the character more or the movie more but you have to be realistic about what this can do. 

4 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I think the current expectation for China opening is not bad considering DOM debut may be around $55M(I know many fans expect far higher). 

China could be higher too depending on Maoyan scores and overall WOM right?

Seems like a film that may get that. Hope so!

Kinda hoping for 75+M DOM and 50 China OW

Edited by cdsacken

1 minute ago, cax16 said:

This movie isn’t even on the same planet in terms of hype like CM was. Shazam wasn’t the after credit scene in one of the biggest movies of all time.

People who wanted Shazam to do better just cause they hate female lead super hero movies are idiots. It’s fine if you want Shazam to do better cause you like the character more or the movie more but you have to be realistic about what this can do. 

Agreed they are but in the US I imagine there a lot of people that feel that way. Crazy or not.

6 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I think the current expectation for China opening is not bad considering DOM debut may be around $55M(I know many fans expect far higher). 

Most people only see numbers from the most recent movies from China like Aquaman, venom and even captain marvel, but they don’t look at the past numbers from most of the other cbm and see most do around 100mil (total)generally. 

Edited by cax16

Just now, cax16 said:

Most people only see numbers from the most recent movies from China like Aquaman, venom and even captain marvel, but they don’t look at the past numbers from most of the other cbm and see most do around 100mil generally. 

I still have confidence that Shazam! would make $100M-plus lifetime gross though the current pre-sale do not look great enough. I don't see it would cause hurt to the future of DC even if it fail to hit that level. 

7 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Agreed they are but in the US I imagine there a lot of people that feel that way. Crazy or not.

Eh, a few thousand loud idiots on social media is all this stuff always is. How did that boycott work out for the CM box office? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I still have confidence that Shazam! would make $100M-plus lifetime gross though the current pre-sale do not look great enough. I don't see it would cause hurt to the future of DC even if it fail to hit that level. 

I agree with you, and while I’d love for this to break out everywhere I just think we all have to keep realistic expectations. Wonder Woman didn’t make 100mil and that didn’t stop JL from making 100mil or Aquaman from killing it in China. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cax16 said:

Eh, a few thousand loud idiots on social media is all this stuff always is. How did that boycott work out for the CM box office? 

I'd imagine it's about 15k very vocal nutjobs and another 40-50k less vocal cranky folks. Yes they had no negative impact, if anything positive. Boycotts of positive products for idiotic reasons often have the opposite effect. 

13 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I'd imagine it's about 15k very vocal nutjobs and another 40-50k less vocal cranky folks. Yes they had no negative impact, if anything positive. Boycotts of positive products for idiotic reasons often have the opposite effect. 

Statistics don't work like that.

The pro Trump vocal nutjobs and cranky folks on twitter probably also small in numbers, Trump still got elected.

1 minute ago, AndyK said:

Statistics don't work like that.

The pro Trump vocal nutjobs and cranky folks on twitter probably also small in numbers, Trump still got elected.

Thanks to a good portion of the country not even bothering to go to the polls at all. Anyway, not the politics thread.