Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

50 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

a live-action superhero movie from one of the big two brands making less than 500 WW would be a bit of an underperformance, as it would most likely mean money left on the table. 

Save this for Joker or BoP where China might be off the table, the rating limits the audience, or the budget is so damn low it can't be an underperformance at <500 WW

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

Suffer, as in make 450 million, instead of Ant Man numbers - 550-600 would have been possible without the CM/Endgame double whammy. 

Can't see any scenario where the movie isn't profitable, but a live-action superhero movie from one of the big two brands making less than 500 WW would be a bit of an underperformance, as it would most likely mean money left on the table. 

Ant Man made $519m WW (budget of $130m and probably more spent on marketing as well), and still got a sequel,  just saying...

Shazam has a budget around $90m, and I do not think Shazam will make less than $500m WW.

Shazam is doing Ok. Positive reviews have not bumped the sales like BP or WW. 

Also people should remember Aquaman came out in Christmas so these presales of Aquaman are more likely for the holiday period and not concentrated towards OW. 

My Prediction for Shazam is... 

45M+/- OW and a total of 180M. I am expecting a very less drop in second and 3rd weekend as this movie will play into word of mouth. 

With a prod budget close to 100 and a similar global marketing spend, SHAZAM could get a sequel even with ALITA's 405 ww.

Guessing SHAZAM's breakdown if it does around 405 ww,

175 Dom

65 Ch

165 OS-Ch

= 405

Gives 175*0.55 + 65*0.25 + 165*0.40 = 178.5 global theatrical revenue

That covers all of prod budget and eats well into marketing budget.

ALITA's 405 ww with it's Dom, OS-Ch, Ch breakdown gave it 155 theatrical returns on 170 prod budget + >100 marketing budget.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, a2k said:

With a prod budget close to 100 and a similar global marketing spend, SHAZAM could get a sequel even with ALITA's 405 ww.

Guessing SHAZAM's breakdown if it does around 405 ww,

175 Dom

65 Ch

165 OS-Ch

= 405

Gives 175*0.55 + 65*0.25 + 165*0.40 = 178.5 global theatrical revenue

That covers all of prod budget and eats well into marketing budget.

ALITA's 405 ww with it's Dom, OS-Ch, Ch breakdown gave it 155 theatrical returns on 170 prod budget + >100 marketing budget.

Still think it does more then that in NA and CHina but yeah i would guess 405 is the minimum 

1 minute ago, Wotad said:

Still think it does more then that in NA and CHina but yeah i would guess 405 is the minimum 

yeah i was low-balling to see how good the prospects of profitability are. am on the 500+ ww train.

12 hours ago, John Marston said:

Shazam is completely unknown. Nobody outside of comic circles have heard of this character. I don't remember him being in the Justice League cartoon which helped introduce many characters to people who never heard of them. 

You have forgotten a very cool fight.

(Pretty sure Zack Snyder didn't when making Man of Steel, though.)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

You have forgotten a very cool fight.

(Pretty sure Zack Snyder didn't when making Man of Steel, though.)

would have snapped the kids neck instead of 'fights over son'. unlike this cartoon set in a fucking dream world.

Edited by a2k

20 minutes ago, a2k said:

snyder's shazam would 😂

I guess that's the wizard's fault to have picked someone that had killing intent at such a young age. 

But if you don't think kids that are in Billy's situation (foster kid jumping from home to home) don't at least crash an ATM after he has power then you live in a dream world for sure. Even Spider-man in the first one thinking about benefiting from super power, that's just because he was not the cool kid with the cool car. Billy got it way worse.

Sure but that's the difference from a Super Hero and a Super Villain. One must draw the lines and learn to use their power for good. Heroes accept the responsibility, Villains abdicate it. Anti-heroes are a blend of both that typically have a huge moral grey area but step up when it really matters.