Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

Shazam is completely unknown. Nobody outside of comic circles have heard of this character. I don't remember him being in the Justice League cartoon which helped introduce many characters to people who never heard of them.  This will rely on legs more than a big opening 

Edited by John Marston

7 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Internet buzz might be up to Aquaman level, but presales on Fandango are still pretty bad, really bad for a superhero movie: only 10% of Captain Marvel at same point (~$15M OW).

At least the only way is up.:jeb!:

So we have just decided to ignore the prior presales for the preview screenings altogether now?

• Like 7

Just now, grim22 said:

So we have just decided to ignore the prior presales for the preview screenings altogether now?

Not at all, I already mentioned the early access last time I looked at the presales - no need to repeat it each time. However, after a few days the Fandango numbers should tick up. It hasn't happened yet.

I don't actually think Shazam will open to $15M, Fandango is just one metric but it is easy to follow. (GoogleTrends points to a good run)

13 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Internet buzz might be up to Aquaman level, but presales on Fandango are still pretty bad, really bad for a superhero movie: only 10% of Captain Marvel at same point (~$15M OW).

I think I said this before but you are comparing one of the most presale heavy superhero movies to (likely) one of the least presale heavy superhero movies. Completely unfair to Shazam. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

What about a more fair comparison, in terms of general audience knowledge of the character, as well as the connection to the larger universe (CM was hinted as being the answer to the Thanks problem)? Like, the first Ant Man? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can’t speak for anyone else but I just want this to do really well so I want to see big numbers but we do have to take into account that Shazam has basically done over 3.3m in presales. 

Hopefully it all works itself out next weekend. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You all need to relax:).

Presales after a $3M+ opening sneak will obviously be low b/c the early prebuyers already bought.  Save any freak outs for OW possibilities until next week.  I'm sure they will start to perk up once this weekend is over, EVEN with Endgame's presales starting.  

And if they don't, please Atom, send me a ticket deal like you did for Aquaman and I'll add to your presales right away:)...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Reviews and early screenings definitely helped for Shazam's Internet "buzz", it isn't too far from Aquaman at same point before release:

step0000.png?1553644073832

I checked the google trends.

In the US

Aquaman on Dec 9-15 (12 to 6 days from release): 28 points

Shazam on Mar 24-30: 35 points

And for comparison, Wonder Woman on May 21-27 of 2017 was at 17 points compared to Aquaman and Shazam in their respective release windows.

I feel google trends is pretty much useless for this though, because a lesser known character might be searched more even though the excitement may be smaller.

Edited by TheUndertaker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As some pointed out, those 3M+ it got from the sneak previews were at their vast majority from people who would have bought  a ticket for OW, if not OD.

Obviously the presales are deflated but it's a matter of how much.Plus,WB has marketed this as a family movie, a genre that also thrives on walk ups and not presales .

And, yes, you can't expect this to blow up to something like 80M OW.It's an unknown character(and no previews exposition to a team up film) with a relatively unknown cast in a franchise that is trying to find its footing playing on a market that just a had a big superhero movies and with an even bigger coming next.

1 hour ago, Jormungard said:

Six more reviews to go

JekiJp6.jpg

It actually just got one more bad review if you scroll down and look at the reviews. I think it’s not counting the negative review yet or something. So it should be at 6 negative reviews.

so 68 pos and 6 negative 

Edited by Bane Cook
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Bane Cook said:

It actually just got one more bad review if you scroll down and look at the reviews. I think it’s not counting the negative review yet or something. So it should be at 6 negative reviews.

so 68 pos and 6 negative 

Thats a new one, so it should be 70/6. 4 more to certified fresh.