Moviefanatic

Wed Numbers from RTH (GOTG back on top)

I don't think either one will finish first.

You mean win between the two of them, or?

Because according to Variety, The Wrap, BO.com, and BOM none of those two will win the upcoming weekend (BOM thinks GotG might win Labor Day weekend)

Agreed, I was talking who would win between the two of them.

• Like 1

Keep in mind, Turtles isn't really behind GOTG, Galaxy still has IMAX, so that mitigates the decline for sure.  So if you look at the average per theater, Turtles is probably a bit higher than GOTG.  But I don't think there will be a big loss of theaters from either film as there are still a lot of bottom feeders with screens to give.  In fact, GOTG keeps IMAX (most of it) until the Equalizer comes out....that's a two month run.

I'm not sure I follow you here.  If we're talking average $$ per theater, GOTG's is almost certainly still higher for Wed.  GOTG is playing at fewer theaters.  It's got a $200K total $$ lead for Wed, much higher than GOTG's lead on Monday, which was only $83K. And yet GOTG still had a higher per-theater average on Monday, $780 to $704.  Heck, GOTG had a higher average yesterday, when its total was ever-so-slightly lower.  What am I missing?  Doesn't IMAX bump up the per-theater average?

• Like 1

I'm not sure I follow you here.  If we're talking average $$ per theater, GOTG's is almost certainly still higher for Wed.  GOTG is playing at fewer theaters.  It's got a $200K total $$ lead for Wed, much higher than GOTG's lead on Monday, which was only $83K. And yet GOTG still had a higher per-theater average on Monday, $780 to $704.  Heck, GOTG had a higher average yesterday, when its total was ever-so-slightly lower.  What am I missing?  Doesn't IMAX bump up the per-theater average?

You're missing Imax.

True question that I really don't know the answer: didn't TMNT got IMAX? At least OS I know it is getting released in the format in some places. Also, this trash is getting IMAX on the first weekend of September: http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=innocence2014.htm (it was delayed from Labor Day weekend to an even worse place :lol: ), and Forrest Gump is also getting an IMAX release on September 5. I assume this is the weekend where GotG loses IMAX. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

Expendables 3 is the epic fail of our time.

Expendables 3 - the summer bomb we had been waiting for (jk! It's not a total loss)

It probably cost 100M and it is tanking everywhere. 

The leak murdered it. And we now know the effect that piracy can have in a movie. The true effect. Taken got away because nobody really knew what Taken was so people couldn't know it had been released in France 1 year before America. And the Oscar contenders usually get online a few days after they get released in theaters. Also, those movies appeal to adults in a big way and those don't download movies nearly as much as teens. 

All of this kinda makes me think that Battleship got hit as well DOM. There were already some ok copies available for download by the time it reached America (5 weeks after OS). 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

You're missing Imax.

Again, doesn't IMAX increase the per-theater average?  IMAX might be one of the reasons that GOTG has a higher PTA, but the average per theater is still the average per theater.  We aren't talking about total attendance cuz those figures don't exist.  So I don't see how this statement is accurate: "So if you look at the average per theater, Turtles is probably a bit higher than GOTG." Average what?

Edited by BlanketMan

With GOTG beginning to trend above Turtles is there any chance that this will be reflected in the theater losses for this weekend (ie could Turtles lose more theater count than GOTG this week?)

No, it's likely that GOTG will have a bigger theater loss than TMNT when the numbers come out later today. No one was waiting until this morning to make decisions like that, most were made after last weekend, when TMNT was barely on top. (And when it had a better average.)

That said, the films have been #1 and 2 for a while now, so hopefully neither will have a large theater loss. Into The Storm, Step Up All In, and Hercules should all have much bigger theater losses than GOTG and TMNT today.

You likely will however see screen losses for both. GOTG will drop from 2 screens down to 1 at a lot of theaters, or from 3 down to 2. TMNT also. They may be the top 2 movies right now, but that's just because all movies are small this week. They're both expected to make something in the 15M range this weekend, that's not a number that requires a gigantic amount of theaters and screens to get.

But that said, yeah, it would be nice if both had small theater drops.

Again, doesn't IMAX increase the per-theater average?  IMAX might be one of the reasons that GOTG has a higher PTA, but the average per theater is still the average per theater.  We aren't talking about total attendance cuz those figures don't exist.  So I don't see how this statement is accurate: "So if you look at the average per theater, Turtles is probably a bit higher than GOTG." Average what?

If you have 300 IMAX theaters charging $19.00 for their tickets, is it not going to increase the theater average?

I don't care that much about it buddy.  It's a non issue.  Both are doing well.  Doesn't matter to me who is on top.

Good to see Turtles back on top.

I don't care that much about it buddy.  It's a non issue.  Both are doing well.  Doesn't matter to me who is on top.

:lol:

Edited by Deathlife
  • Like 9

True question that I really don't know the answer: didn't TMNT got IMAX? At least OS I know it is getting released in the format in some places. Also, this trash is getting IMAX on the first weekend of September: http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=innocence2014.htm (it was delayed from Labor Day weekend to an even worse place :lol: ), and Forrest Gump is also getting an IMAX release on September 5. I assume this is the weekend where GotG loses IMAX. 

A lot of IMAX releases aren't full-blown IMAX releases.  Most are limited engagements which the IMAX theaters around me never actually show. 

TMNT got other large format theaters in the US (XD, etc.), but no IMAX here. 

Edited by mvrojo
  • Like 1

A lot of IMAX releases aren't full-blown IMAX releases.  Most are limited engagements which the IMAX theaters around me never actually show. 

TMNT got other large format theaters in the US (XD, etc.), but no IMAX here. 

GOTG is in uber IMAX.

• Like 1