Punishment

Weekend Actuals 8/22-8/24 GOTG 17.2m, TMNT 16.7m, Stay 15.7m, Cops 10.8m

WTF- the L.A. engagement of Roaring Currents sold the most tickets of any single movie at a single theater in all of North America?!Only The Numbers has weekend numbers for Roaring Currents, and they're just estimates. This weekend it made $480,000 from 47 locations, $10.2K PTA. Last weekend was $525,500 from 30 locations, $17.5K PTA.And I understand big cities and a lot of LA/Southern California venues, and McLean, VA is a suburb of Washington D.C., but what's with Moore, Oklahoma? Yes, it's a suburb of Oklahoma City, but still - why did THAT theater pull in so many ticket sales?And why does that theater in Calgary consistently have the top engagements in Canada?

Moore, OK just happens to be home of one of the best theaters in the country, and it's a hop from OU.
  • Like 2

OK, good to hear. I assume a lot of these high-ranked ones are also IMAX venues? If you're the only IMAX location around (especially if you're REAL IMAX) I assume you'll get a lot of business just for that alone.I know that's why the AMC Metreon in SF is so high. Even Regal Hacienda Crossings in Dublin (my local megaplex) occasionally makes 19th or 20th (they did on the opening weekends of Gravity and Godzilla - and strangely, Cloudy 2 and The Lego Movie, which weren't IMAX. Oh and they were 11th on STID's opening weekend)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

WTF- the L.A. engagement of Roaring Currents sold the most tickets of any single movie at a single theater in all of North America?!Only The Numbers has weekend numbers for Roaring Currents, and they're just estimates. This weekend it made $480,000 from 47 locations, $10.2K PTA. Last weekend was $525,500 from 30 locations, $17.5K PTA.And I understand big cities and a lot of LA/Southern California venues, and McLean, VA is a suburb of Washington D.C., but what's with Moore, Oklahoma? Yes, it's a suburb of Oklahoma City, but still - why did THAT theater pull in so many ticket sales?And why does that theater in Calgary consistently have the top engagements in Canada?

The Warren in Moore (I'm from OKC so I have been several times) is probably the best theater I have personally ever been in (obviously thats anecdotal but I have been in hundreds of movie theaters over the years) and its just something that has to be experienced - and of course - LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. Its perfectly situated. 

• Like 1

I see that BoMojo tracked 687 movies last year...isn't it possible that there are plenty of movies for every taste?   10 SH movies would hardly be a dent in the total number of movies.   I'll bet there are far more comedies in that 687 than SH movies.   ;)

I checked...there are 9 comedies....in the top 50!!   :D

lol 

i love how the superhero brigade always pulls out the same idiotic argument again and again. 

So when will GOTG become the highest-grossing movie of the year domestically? My guess is Friday.

Yeah Friday definitely. Small chance it could happen Thursday depending on the Tuesday bump. One of the scenarios I ran had a 25% bump on Tuesday from Monday (I used $1.8m). However, judging bumps from last year that may not happen that high.