1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

You keep telling me he's better and yet I don't see it

The Social Network was great and Zodiac is excellent too

This and Dragon Tattoo are just subpar films of his IMO and since you focused on the technical aspects of his direction as one of my criticisms towards the film I can tell you that Seven had sort of a personal stamp to it that made it feel like a auteur's film whereas this and Dragon Tattoo are way too operatic and could've been directed by whomever directed the latest Liam Neeson movie and the result wouldn't be much different in terms of film's effect

Just because a standard thriller story was directed by someone who knows his way around the camera its still just a standard thriller story and Fincher while being somewhat overrated in the first place is above that stuff 

Scorsese would never direct a story like this and not make it his own

This and Dragon Tattoo are just subpar films of his IMO and since you focused on the technical aspects of his direction as one of my criticisms towards the film I can tell you that Seven had sort of a personal stamp to it that made it feel like a auteur's film whereas this and Dragon Tattoo are way too operatic and could've been directed by whomever directed the latest Liam Neeson movie and the result wouldn't be much different in terms of film's effect

Well this is some grade-A bull. Never before has David Fincher had a style so distinctly David Fincher as he does right now. Now, this style may not be, say stylish and showy like Seven and Fight Club but it's absolutely there and it's made Dragon Tattoo and Gone Girl much better movies than they would've been with someone else in charge.

I'm not completely over the moon with Pike like some people are, but once the twist happens, she turns it into another gear. I totally bought her in that role, but as the fearing housewife, I don't know. I feel like Pike excelled at the deranged sociopath more than the former. Affleck was very note worthy IMO.

As for the ending, I found it too absurd for my liking. Maybe I'm a sucker for justice, but I'm not asking for her to go behind bars, I just can't imagine living in the same household with that hanging over everybody's heads. The partners in crime thing though was great.

• Like 1

What's he going to do? He's stuck. There are plenty of things she could do to his reputation if he bolted.

I'd still bail and live celibate and be considered an asshole for the rest of my life. Even though he's technically 'safe,' good god I'd still be looking over my shoulder for the rest of my life, and that's no better way to live

Leave the country, something.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

Didn't he stayed because she was pregnant with his child? So he didn't want to leave his child with her. Pretty sure he would leave if she wasn't. 

That is what convinces him to stay, I just...I don't know how I could stay especially since it's an unborn child. Yes, that's a lot of guilt to bear, but at the same time, the fact that the child was brought to the world without a mutual consent, I feel like it'd be difficult to see it as truly my own child. But that's easy for me to say.

• Like 1

It's funny you mention Seven because this movie actually got me wondering why I love Seven so much (or what exactly made it so much better than this). Most of my issues here were about stuff that also was present in Seven. Like, a few preposterous scenes and pulpy plot twists? Seven featured a woman being raped to death with a strap-on knife dildo by a guy with a gun to his head. A killer who cuts off his fingertips to avoid being caught. A detective's wife's detached head being delivered into the middle of the desert. Hell, the entire premise of a serial killer with a seven deadly sins gimmick is as "airport novel" as anything in this movie. The shit that happens in Seven makes "woman successfully stages fake rape and murder". That shit's happened, albeit under less dramatic circumstances. From a technical perspective, this movie had the better acting (Pitt and Freeman were great but pretty par-for-the-course), it had tighter direction from a much more refined Fincher, it certainly had better music, it had a wicked sense of humor that Seven rarely had. Though Seven did obviously have a much better ending.

And none of this is meant as a dig at Seven, the movie's still a classic, but when really looked at it was a really fun wicked thriller, just like this movie, but certainly not at the level of Fight Club, The Social Network, or Zodiac. Even Fight Club was as great as it was due more in part to the incredible source material (in addition to the two lead performances). Fincher's a much better director now than he was back then, and he's got a sterling reputation and one of the greatest songwriters of our time making music for him. And none of this is to say you can't dislike this movie, the criticisms of the plot have weight to them, but don't act like Fincher's coasting by on his great work of yesteryear because even if his past two films haven't been masterpieces, he's very clearly better now than he's ever been at what he does.

It may be better directed, but that doesn't make it a better movie than Seven.

It may be better directed, but that doesn't make it a better movie than Seven.

I didn't say that (I've still got Seven above it). Ultimately it had a tighter narrative and a much more satisfying conclusion than GG. I was just pondering my own thoughts, because most of my issues with this movie had to do with the extreme nature of the plot and its twists, yet Seven makes it look relatively tame in that department and I never thought of it as a problem.

Well this is some grade-A bull. Never before has David Fincher had a style so distinctly David Fincher as he does right now. Now, this style may not be, say stylish and showy like Seven and Fight Club but it's absolutely there and it's made Dragon Tattoo and Gone Girl much better movies than they would've been with someone else in charge.

I don't see a reason to call my quarrels with this movie bullshit but I saw what I saw here and despite your best effort to convince me its amazing I've already forgotten a lot about it the next day and I'm thinking most people will kinda acknowledge that just like they did with Dragon Tattoo as time goes by

I just didn't like it very much sure its fine but I won't be in awe with Fincher when he delivers something average

One of the most fucked up movies you'll ever see.  Fucked up and fucking brilliant.  One of the best of 2014.  

Reese Witherspoon produced this as well...WTF!

• Like 8

One of the most fucked up movies you'll ever see.  Fucked up and fucking brilliant.  One of the best of 2014.  

Reese Witherspoon produced this as well...WTF!

Yeah, I think she was the one who bought the book rights because she was planning on playing amy at one point? idk how right that is. can't remember the specifics.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1