Star-Lord

Update: Sony Japan wants Deal for Spider-man joining the Marvel Universe (last post)

Assuming their latest Spidey spin-off movie "Sinister Six" in 2016 completely underwhelms like the TASM franchise...

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/10/07/spider-man-marvel-sony/?hootPostID=7c1b038a8036f7014d52339388e16826

Entertainment Weekly

Will Spidey be joining Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, and Black Widow on the big screen in the near future? No. But according to EW's sources, a few years from now that’s a possibility. (Official reps for the two studios both declined to comment.)

But that’s the extent of it: possibility. There are several variables that need to play out before anything concrete happens. Here are the facts as we hear them from several well-placed sources:

AvengersAssembled.jpg

Edited by Star-Lord
  • Like 1

Very interesting Starlord... I just wish they would try to get our Spidey back TM and Rami.. Money can get them back into the saddle

No thanks, the current Spidey is much better and Gwen Stacy was way better than our redhead girl ^^

• Like 2

Kinda wish they had done this originally. Reboot Spider-Man in 2010 (June-August) after Iron Man 2. Have the reboot tie in to the MCU, Nick Fury and Black Widow make cameos, maybe even Hawkeye's intro. Then Spidey's part of the Avengers in 2012. 

Seeing Peter Parker and Tony Stark banter off one another would have made the film that much better. Adding Spidey might have given Avengers a shot at equalling Avatar's DOM gross IMO. 

Either way, hopefully they just scrap Sinister Six and reboot Spider-Man for the two part Avengers 3. 

• Like 1

I doubt Disney would be up for that, they aren't going to share the Avengers wealth with Sony, especially since they don't need Spidey as a pull.

Yah. I don't expect Disney to give Sony a dime if they let them use Spidey in Avengers. Sony would only agree to it because it helps out future Spidey flicks.

Yah. I don't expect Disney to give Sony a dime if they let them use Spidey in Avengers. Sony would only agree to it because it helps out future Spidey flicks.

I doubt Disney would even let them do it for free, they'd prefer to just have the rights to Spidey back thus they can't do anything to help the Spidey franchise regain viewers because then it's profitable for Sony to keep making movies and keep Spidey rights.

I doubt Disney would be up for that, they aren't going to share the Avengers wealth with Sony, especially since they don't need Spidey as a pull.

I doubt Disney would even let them do it for free, they'd prefer to just have the rights to Spidey back thus they can't do anything to help the Spidey franchise regain viewers because then it's profitable for Sony to keep making movies and keep Spidey rights.

Either way is good: Sony will keep Spidey.

• Like 1

IGN: Parent company Sony Japan not happy with Sony USA's handling of Spider-Man, may still want to renegotiate with Marvel

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/12/10/more-on-the-sonymarvelspider-man-situation

hqdefault.jpg

Summary: Sony passed on a co-production arrangement where Marvel and Sony would split Spidey movie costs 60/40 (Marvel paying the 60% and getting creative control).

Sony Pictures’ parent company is none too pleased about the current situation. They view “Sony Pictures’s handling of the Spider-Man property as disappointing. … Sony Japan thinks the Marvel deal for Spider-Man is still on the table and they want to renegotiate as a return to quality.” The sources also say that “the 60/40 split” can be negotiated and “Sony Entertainment’s October hard-line stance of wanting creative control is now mostly moot in the eyes of the higher-ups.”

There's an online petition now for it too:

https://www.change.org/p/sony-collaborate-with-marvel-in-regards-to-the-spiderman-franchise/share

I mean 60/40 and giving up any creative control's not something I'd ever agree to. Maybe if the deal with 70/30, but more like 80/20 or 75/25 with a better ratio for profit sharing is more fair. 

Edited by riczhang

20-25% probably wouldn't be worth Marvel's time and the use of it's production resources since they'd only do this if they had full creative control. 

Marvel even under Disney is still a rather contained studio which is why they had to work up to doing 3 films a year.  Now in addition to the films they have TV and Netflix shows to produce.  We see that this expansion has affected their ability to do those Blu ray One Shots.  So taking on responsibility for the Spidey verse would divert resources from other properties where they'd make much more money.

They probably consider 40% enough if they can produce a successful series of movies that also boost the sales of their merchandise and if they can use Spider-Man's presence in the rest of the MCU.   But less than that they might think why bother if they can make 100% off another product through the same amount of work and use of manpower?   They've already shown they can elevate B to A list and even create a huge franchise out of D list characters. No doubt they've crunched all the possible numbers.

In that vein they don't make toys for the X-Men series because they make just 50% of the profits.  Whereas if they use the same resources to make GOTG toys they get 100% and boost their film at the same time.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

I feel like Spiderman would distract and clutter what Disney is doing with the MCU.  

Ideally, I would let a few years go by to wipe the memory of the debacle that was ASM2 and any new Spiderman appearances.  Let the franchise rot in the hands of Sony, ultimately forcing the switch to Disney.

No thanks, the current Spidey is much better and Gwen Stacy was way better than our redhead girl ^^

Too bad Gwen in dead.  

I don't get why Sony was in such a rush to kill Gwen. I know not everybody is a Garfield fan but by "most" accounts the Peter/Gwen chemistry was one of the better things about this current reboot. That's not to be confused with the amount of love story being piled onto the story. I think the love story could have been dialed way back. But the chemistry between Garfield and Stone was amazing. Not to mention that people (IMHO) seem love Emma Stone in general. She was great. 

So why then did they (Sony) rush to kill her off? Why not have her into a 3rd film? They could have taken their time turning Harry into the Green Goblin. Make him sick in 2 but make the change in 3. Then leave Gwen in until the end of 3 where the goblin stuff could have played out properly. 

They have no idea how to pace themselves. Rush in all these characters, rush in plots and sub plots. They force too much stuff into one film. 

I feel like Spidey is the child of and abusive parent (SONY) and pray he ends up back at Marvel for his own safety and well being.

Edited by Rufus Magillicutty

Too bad Gwen in dead.  

I don't get why Sony was in such a rush to kill Gwen. I know not everybody is a Garfield fan but by "most" accounts the Peter/Gwen chemistry was one of the better things about this current reboot. That's not to be confused with the amount of love story being piled onto the story. I think the love story could have been dialed way back. But the chemistry between Garfield and Stone was amazing. Not to mention that people (IMHO) seem love Emma Stone in general. She was great. 

So why then did they (Sony) rush to kill her off? Why not have her into a 3rd film? They could have taken their time turning Harry into the Green Goblin. Make him sick in 2 but make the change in 3. Then leave Gwen in until the end of 3 where the goblin stuff could have played out properly. 

They have no idea how to pace themselves. Rush in all these characters, rush in plots and sub plots. They force too much stuff into one film. 

I feel like Spidey is the child of and abusive parent (SONY) and pray he ends up back at Marvel for his own safety and well being.

Shock factor.

But the only reason it was far more shocking in the comics was because Gwen was the first major character in superhero comics to bite it (way back in 1973, before it became a fad to kill off major characters in comics, especially women and love interests). Plus, the original story was way more effective and touching because Mary Jane was already a big factor in Peter and Gwen's lives by that point and she transformed from a minor scene stealing character to the love interest thanks to Gwen's death. MJ needed to be there in the TASM films for Gwen's death to have a bigger impact (Nobody ever wanted the missing parents subplot!). The scene where Peter thrashes Harry for it shouldn't have been cut. Sony dropped the ball on what could have been the most tragic superhero movie of all time.

It's a testament to Webb, Garfield and Stone that there managed to be some kind of impact despite such a mediocre script for a great story.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

Hack reveals that Sony may have Fired Andrew Garfield from his Spider-Man Contract

http://mashable.com/2014/12/12/spider-man-may-appear-in-captain-america-3-but-not-played-by-andrew-garfield/

amazing-spider-man-2-andrew-garfield-570

Andrew Garfield's comments about studio interference being responsible for the tepid response to The Amazing Spider-Man 2 have upset the wrong people, especially as he failed to appear at a Sony corporate dinner in July which would have seen him meet Sony CEO Kaz Hirai and a number of other executives.

As a result, he's been effectively fired as talk of a new Spider-Man began in October.

Emails reveal Sony wants to Reboot Spider-Man AGAIN with Ryan Gosling in Mind

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/13/exclusive-sony-emails-slam-leonardo-dicaprio-willow-and-jaden-smith-gush-over-ryan-gosling.html?via=twitter_page

ryan-gosling-sexy-pics.jpg?123

Jeff Robinov, former ex-Warner Bros VP now head of Sony's Studio 8 is trying to prevent a deal that would see Sony collaborate with Marvel on the future of the Spider-Man franchise.

In an email dated November 13 sent to Amy Pascal, Sony Pictures co-chairman, Robinov outlined a plan to reboot the entire Spider-Man franchise again with new leads in the vein similar to the long running James Bond films. Robinov also suggests possibly bringing on Stan Lee to invent a new character for Sony to exploit.

The latest "Sony Hack" also pertains to actor Ryan Gosling. Pascal is keen on offering the actor a number of parts and asks a colleague to ask the actor about starring in their planned Spider-Man spin-off "Sinister Six" possibly as their new Spider-Man.

Edited by Star-Lord