CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

On 2/28/2021 at 3:49 PM, SnokesLegs said:

The new CW show ‘Superman & Lois’ is basically that. I’ve not been a fan of the other Berlanti shows so far, but the pilot episode grabbed me enough to keep watching, and it seems to be in its own universe so you don’t need to be caught up on all the other Berlanti shows to follow it.

I thought the episode had some great moments, but other scenes with his kids were pure cringe. It also didn't do very well in the ratings, it got less viewers than the Batwoman pilot and the Walker Texas Ranger remake that premiered on the same network in January.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

I thought the episode had some great moments, but other scenes with his kids were pure cringe. It also didn't do very well in the ratings, it got less viewers than the Batwoman pilot and the Walker Texas Ranger remake that premiered on the same network in January.

I am of two minds about it.  For The CW network, it's still considered a successful premiere.  But it remains to be seen for how long.  And I'm honestly surprised Batwoman even got renewed based on how its ratings sunk through last year.  But The CW decided to "play it safe" this year according to their boss...which meant also renewing "Legends of Tomorrow" even though that was long-rumored to be ending.  

The S&L concept is fine, and I could see this more as a limited 10-episode season kind of thing -- but I can't see how they drag this out for 15-22 episodes per year.  Despite it being a "new concept" on Superman...I think it will get old quick.  But that's just me.  Then again...Smallville made it ten years!  (Regardless of what one thinks of the show...the ratings and cultural impact spoke for themselves.)  My bet is S&L doesn't make it to five.  

Regardless, Hamada/Warners have begun to make it clear that whatever they're doing on TV will not affect features, and vice/versa...that they will be more open to multiverses existing simultaneously, even with top-tier character like Superman. 

I'm willing to bet that Coates and Abrams' idea is for this new feature to be "another Superman" -- not Kal-El.  That is their "get out of jail free" card.  If it works, it spawns a new franchise iteration.  If it doesn't, it doesn't impact starting a new "traditional" Kal-El feature in the future.    

Edited by Macleod

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Admittedly the bit in the barn with the kids was hilarious (why is there a router in the barn? Why is it placed in the worst possible position in terms of accessibility? How did Martha ever reach it? What is the range on that beast of a router that they were annoyed that they couldn’t get WiFi a quarter of a football field away?!), but I enjoyed it well enough. It had a very Smallville 2.0 feel to it.

The ratings were fine for The CW, when you consider that most shows on the other major networks are struggling to reach a 1.0 rating these days, a 0.3 rating on The CW is fine. Plus it has the benefit of HBO Max where it’ll likely pick up a decent number of additional viewers.

5 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Ohh... good catch. I guess an official announcement is coming soon then.

I doubt it. THR was the only one to report on the Joker sequel thing in Jan 2020 or so I think, no other trade has touched that.

My favorite part was the mention that Coates was referring to the original Superman comics and that there is a possibility of the film being a 20th Century period piece. If it's set in the 1930's when Superman debuted then there could be shades of Lindelof's Watchmen. Can definitely see Ta-Nehisi tackle the politics of a black Superman in Jim Crow era/segregated America.

Edited by Spidey Freak

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Did that article seriously just casually claim that Joker is getting a sequel, when nothing about that has been confirmed?

"Planned sequel"...means they're developing it, doesn't mean it will necessarily happen.  

• Like 1