CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

Tbh I doubt many studios will be keen on adapting these characters because they are specifically the original versions of these characters, so they will be extremely limited in what they can do. Plus WB still holds trademarks for 90% of what makes these characters special. 

• Like 2

I doubt Superman and Batman in the public domain will amount to much outside of low budget horror schlock like with Winnie the Pooh and Mickey Mouse. 

Also, gotta love how an article written by Tatiana “he was like Lex Luthor wreaking havoc” Siegel couldn’t resist the urge to bring up a certain director in the opening and closing paragraphs. 

39 minutes ago, filmlover said:

We already had an unofficial Superman horror movie just 5 years ago (produced by James Gunn!). If only it hadn't immediately fallen into the cinematic ether.

Brightburn_film_poster.png

We are at a point in pop culture where we have more "deconstructed evil Superman" characters than actual good Superman.

Just in the past few years we have had Brightburn, Homelander, Omni Man, Injustice Superman, Ikaris, the Jupiter's Legacy cast, most of Snyder's flash forwards.

The only actual non-deconstructed straight up good Superman we had was in Joss Whedon's Justice League, even the ZSJL Superman was undermined by the flash forwards and the Black suit at the end for no reason.

Genuinely think it's time for an actual straight up earnest take on Superman. An earnest take is the most subversive thing possible now.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

We already had an unofficial Superman horror movie just 5 years ago (produced by James Gunn!). If only it hadn't immediately fallen into the cinematic ether.

A lot of movies coming out around that time suffered the same fate, thanks to the crushing weight of Disney at its peak. They always had something to choke the competition to death every month, be it Captain Marvel, Endgame, Aladdin, Toy Story 4 and Lion King. Most non-Disney movies like Godzilla 2, Detective Pikachu, Men in Black International and Pets 2 among others either underperformed or bombed. We're definitely never seeing that level of pop culture domination again, as evidenced by that very behemoth now being anything but.

since this is the unofficial "new dceu" thread I decided to check out what other works the animation studio Bobbypills who will do Creature Commandos had done, and there is no way in hell this show will be popular with the GA at most it will do well with animation nuts in Twitter and youtube 

5 hours ago, TestPattern said:

Modern use of public domain is akin to artistic vandalism. I'm in favor of permenant copyright ownership

All the people who made these public domain works are dead. Who gives a shit? Most people would consider any official Superman film made since Superman 3 to be artistic vandalism anyways.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, cooldude97 said:

since this is the unofficial "new dceu" thread I decided to check out what other works the animation studio Bobbypills who will do Creature Commandos had done, and there is no way in hell this show will be popular with the GA at most it will do well with animation nuts in Twitter and youtube 

Tbf, how many modern cartoons are popular with the GA

On 1/17/2024 at 8:19 PM, TestPattern said:

Modern use of public domain is akin to artistic vandalism. I'm in favor of permenant copyright ownership

You are in a minority. You have alot of people who think current copyright laws are too strict.

Already this is too strict and that is because of Disney lobbying to keep the copyright on Mickey and rest. Just imagine we have something similar for Drugs and other stuff. Its never good for consumer if copyrights grant perpetual rights. I am excited to see what will happen over next decade as these IPs open up. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 1:24 AM, dallas said:

Tbh I doubt many studios will be keen on adapting these characters because they are specifically the original versions of these characters, so they will be extremely limited in what they can do. Plus WB still holds trademarks for 90% of what makes these characters special. 

Also every studio has stuff falling into public domain coming up (the 2030’s are going to be brutal). They’ll play nice with each other 

On 1/18/2024 at 9:07 AM, filmlover said:

This movie was so terrible that no one giving a fuck about it actually serves as a cautionary tale for those thinking of spending time, energy and money on a reductive evil Superman hackjob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AJG said:

Also every studio has stuff falling into public domain coming up (the 2030’s are going to be brutal). They’ll play nice with each other 

Suddenly puts things into perspective as to why Disney is making a live action remake of their Snow White film now, even though the character herself isn't very popular compared to the other Disney Princesses 

Which IPs will Paramount and Sony lose to public domain in the 2030s? I imagine it's going to be almost the entirety of the Monster verse for Universal.