194 members have voted

1. 1. Interstellar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

So Clonewars, still cynical about this film? :rolleyes:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still overwhelmed by my viewing, so if anyone wishes to read my jibberish, here you go:

- incredible cinematography, I think it was better than Pfister's in previous Nolan films

- jaw-dropping, SPECTACULAR overall visuals. *For me*, the visuals were above Inception. Above any Nolan film. The best space visuals since Star Wars 1977 and 2001: A Space Odyssey.

- so much fresh, sharp, and unexpected rich comedy in the film, masterfully placed in the right context and scenes. Gave the film needed lighthearted moments without going overboard.

- Emotionally astounding. By FAR Nolan's most emotional film. I haven't been this rocked emotionally by a theatrical experience since Cameron's Titanic, which I saw as a child in theaters.

- Incredible acting almost across the board. Just masterful performances on screen

- Absolutely brilliant sound mix.

- A joyous, wonderfully original score from Zimmer

- The sound mix, the score, the masterful acting, and the IMAX visuals combined to make you feel as if you were actually there in many scenes. I felt emotionally connected to many characters in the film.

- In my eyes, Nolan's best film.

- A MUST SEE in 70mm IMAX. If you have a chance, go out of your way and see this in 70mm IMAX. DO IT.

I MUST see this again, as many times as possible in 70mm IMAX before this leaves theaters.

Edited by ACCA
  • Like 3

Loved the movie. McConaughey is awesome, and the core of the movie's story is not about the universe or wormholes or galaxies, it is basically a very human story about a father-daughter bond.

TARS the robot is amazing - funny, sarcastic and steals the show in every scene. Matt Damon's sudden but inevitable betrayal is spoiled by the soundtrack, a less ominous cue may have been better, Matt Damon does get the best "death during a motivational speech" scene since Samuel L Jackson in Deep Blue Sea.

The IMAX is AWESOME. This will have a long run in IMAX for sure, best IMAX movie since Gravity.

• Like 2

With Matt Damon, I think the trailers should have shown him. The whole fighting thing I think could have also worked for trailers shot. I guess maybe Nolan wanted to keep Damon secret since he is essentially the HAL 9000 of this movie which makes sense. I mean, really, it is humans that we have to worry about. Not robots. We make machines to serve us and we program them. 

Anyway, in many ways, Interstellar shares similarities with 2001.

Docking sequence 

most space scenes are like 2001

going into worm hoe and black hole

being betrayed by a crew member (this time a human)

AI helping the crew.

The biggest deviation is the beginning. 2001 gives us the Apes while Interstellar gives us an hour on earth to show how the human species is doomed to extinction.

Both films at the end are about the evolution of humankind.

Edited by CloneWars
  • Like 3

Well, the RT score had me worried there. However, I was more worried about advertising than anything else, and I still am. Paramount dropped the ball, and I maintain that stance.

Nonsense. This was purposefully designed as a word of mouth monster. Most of the "marketing" will be done by the general audience in terms of word of mouth.

Nonsense. This was purposefully designed as a word of mouth monster. Most of the "marketing" will be done by the general audience in terms of word of mouth.

I disagree, but I guess you and I have different ideas on how a film should be marketed.

However, I also feel there wasn't enough ad exposure for Interstellar, as well. Not just how they cut their trailers.

I mean, really, it is humans that we have to worry about. Not robots. We make machines to serve us and we program them. 

I really thought Nolan was going to have TARS and CASE turn out evil, especially with the dialogue "I do what I am programmed to do" by TARS. Thank god he didn't go that route.

I really thought Nolan was going to have TARS and CASE turn out evil, especially with the dialogue "I do what I am programmed to do" by TARS. Thank god he didn't go that route.

Yes. I actually feel having a human turn on other humans make a lot more sense. We are illogical creatures at times, after all. TARS and CASE were red herrings.

• Like 2

And what if the general audience has a positive but not overly enthusiastic reaction to the movie, just like critics? Then the marketing backfires. It's a risky strategy. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Yes. I actually feel having a human turn on other humans make a lot more sense. We are illogical creatures at times, after all. TARS and CASE were red herrings.

Yup, also the "betrayal" in a sense by Michael Caine's character was pretty well done. I am just disappointed they didn't delve into that any further than that one scene. It shows just how desperate he was to save the human race.

• Like 1

Yup, also the "betrayal" in a sense by Michael Caine's character was pretty well done. I am just disappointed they didn't delve into that any further than that one scene. It shows just how desperate he was to save the human race.

Well, I didn't really see it as a betrayal. Obviously, finding out the truth hurts, but he did what was necessary to save humanity. This was his best solution. He thought he had the solution to gravity, so he gave up on Plan A because the solution didn't work.

Well, I didn't really see it as a betrayal. Obviously, finding out the truth hurts, but he did what was necessary to save humanity. This was his best solution. He thought he had the solution to gravity, so he gave up on Plan A because the solution didn't work.

In the end, despite all the great visual effects, the scale of it all and the epic scope, the scene that stuck with me the most is when McConaughey helplessly watches himself not stay, and then manipulates the second hand of the watch.

There was something deeply personal about that scene, and McConaughey sold the hell out of that scene acting-wise. That sequence in the tesseract is just beautiful.

EDIT: Another major scene, Cooper seeing the 23 years worth of videos from his kids. And the scene right after they return to Endurance after the 23 year journey when the astronaut goes "I didn't want to die dreaming".

Edited by grim22
  • Like 6

And what if the general audience has a positive but not overly enthusiastic reaction to the movie, just like critics? Then the marketing backfires. It's a risky strategy. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Yes it's a risky strategy, but they have confidence in it. Just like Interstellar has some risky elements, yet the risky elements are far outweighed by such joyous and wonderful elements.

I stand by my words. I will go down with the ship so to speak and take all the crow if I am wrong. However I remain very confident that love it or hate it, the audience will spread word of mouth that this is a must-see, and even the "hate it" crowd is likely to watch it again just to understand what they saw.

even the "hate it" crowd is likely to watch it again just to understand what they saw.

I wouldn't go that far, at least if you mean paying to see it again. General audience will not spend money to see a film twice that they didn't like.

I will agree that even if they didn't like it, they might still recommend it to their friends. Quite a few of the critics who didn't like the film are still recommending it due to the technical achievements (some of the best space visuals ever, supposedly).

• Like 1

I think people are getting carried away sometimes when it comes to Nolan. Both ways. Critics, too. It's like a political person stating how bad is the Government, but not giving answers. I foresee people complaining about things that makes sense for a traditional film, but once you realize that Interstellar isn't your average Hollywood movie, might as well throw the rule books away. Let me tackle some future moans early on lol

People will state that there was not much shown about the rest of the world struggling? I question why? It's not Armageddon, what is the purpose of a dusty New York or Golden Gate bridge do? What I like about Nolan that he doesn't chew the food for us, let us eat the meal he's cooked.

People will say that there wasn't much day to day time on the spaceship. I ask again, how the hell would have fitted to the plot? Do we really need to have loads of personal convo between the characters to get the grasp of the situation? No. Interstellar is not designed for that. Films like Gravity and Apollo 13 do that and they are brilliant portrayal of space, but the sheer ambition of Interstellar not allow such elements, therefore I don't miss them. Otherwise the movie would be 5 hours long. Liked how sharp and polished the script was and TARS provided gentle humour that boded really well with the plot.

The only bit that didn't like the entire film was when the astronaut explains Cooper how the black hole works. Maybe I'm too pickish here, but I'd expect Coop's character to be fully aware of that info already. 

• Like 3