Interstellar  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Interstellar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

red, I have another question for you. Originally, your sentiments were that you were hoping for this to flop because you didn't want Nolan to make big budget films like his last three. What are your thoughts now on giving Nolan a big budget? I mean, to me, this essentially feels like a $200M Indie film which is kind of cool. So, if Nolan could get away with it, and do another risky $200M project would you be for that?

• Like 1

red, I have another question for you. Originally, your sentiments were that you were hoping for this to flop because you didn't want Nolan to make big budget films like his last three. What are your thoughts now on giving Nolan a big budget? I mean, to me, this essentially feels like a $200M Indie film which is kind of cool. So, if Nolan could get away with it, and do another risky $200M project would you be for that?

He went outside his and the audience's comfort zone with this one, which is cool to see. But I am also selfish. I love Memento/Prestige and even certain aspects of Insomnia/Following that we just don't get much of in the bigger movies. It doesn't seem like he was doing those kind of small movies very long before he jumped off in the big budget world. I want to see more of the small stuff. But what he has done with Interstellar is exciting and I'll be curious to see it again very soon.

• Like 2

I hated Gravity so I was very scared for this because all the trailers for Interstellar gave off a Gravity-vibe.

But man oh man.

By the end of the movie I was even sighing. What an amazing experience and what a brilliant movie. 

I'm not exactly a Nolan fanboy, so my expectations were... well, levelled. But this is one of the few movies I'll see a second time in theatres.

Masterpiece.

A+

Edited by mtX
  • Like 14

Just finished watching it in IMAX, so quick response. Really enjoyed the film but didn't walk out being amazed by it. Visuals were of course fantastic, no faults at all in that side. Only technical fault was some instances of poor sound mixing, couldn't hear dialogue at times due to background noise and the score (which was awesome) being too loud. And there was some great moments like the docking sequence. Thought the film sort of lost it in the third act where character, plotting and dialogue all got a bit worse. I really enjoyed the father / daughter relationship and the explorations (going through wormhole, planet with the waves). Think there was a paradox too. Fuck paradoxes. 

Still a great movie, A-

• Like 4

It is like a time paradox. "they" are humans evolved billions of years, the only reason they could evolve so far is because Cooper saved humanity, but the only reason Cooper could save humanity is because the evolved humans helped him to.

Its like Minority report. The future shows Cruise murdering his kids killer but the precogs showing him the future is what led him to do it.

• Like 1

From main thread.

Anchored by yet another great performance by McConaughey, Nolan successfully unifies the moving with the thought-provoking, in this hugely ambitious, spectacularly told and visually dazzling sci-fi odyssey, that is filled with wonder and awe.

One of Nolan's finest, and one of my favorite movies of the year.

On the negative side, there is some clunky and poor dialogue, some needless exposition, and the otherwise great Zimmer-score is just way too loud at times.

A/A-

Note: As an astronomy aficionado, who has been wanting to see a movie like this for a long, I may have had a predisposition to liking it.

Note 2: Regardless of your feelings towards Nolan, you have to admire and give him credit for aspiring to such great heights.
Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 9

He went outside his and the audience's comfort zone with this one, which is cool to see. But I am also selfish. I love Memento/Prestige and even certain aspects of Insomnia/Following that we just don't get much of in the bigger movies. It doesn't seem like he was doing those kind of small movies very long before he jumped off in the big budget world. I want to see more of the small stuff. But what he has done with Interstellar is exciting and I'll be curious to see it again very soon.

If he makes big blockbuster movies like he does like Interstellar, then I am 100% for it. Such a fresh take on blockbusters. 

• Like 1

I so loved Interstellar.  Might see it again.  

I can't stop thinking about it because for me, the best part is the science.  It wasn't dumbed down.  

Not much. But, to take an example, it bugged me how they had to use a good old 3-stage launcher to get from earth into LEO but later on, they just need their shuttle to leave the waterworld which is supposed to have more than Earth gravity.

• Like 2

Well, I guess I'll be the wet blanket.  I didn't like it all that much.  I found it to be too convoluted and I didn't understand the technical stuff much either.  Also, for a three hour movie, I found the beginning moved way too quickly.  I also didn't like how Murph figured out that her dad was her ghost and I didn't like how she figured out the message was STAY.  There was a lot about it I did like so for a film like this you can't hate so I'm still giving it a 7.  A very very big complaint is that the sound in it was off, like way off in some parts.  You couldn't hear the dialogue and sometimes the the sound was so loud that it was uncomfortable.  

I am going to see this again, maybe I will change my tune after I give it another shot.  Maybe I'll understand why Caine had to hide it from everyone that his Gravity theory wasn't going to save anyone.  Maybe I'll understand how it is that Cooper figured out that if you circle around the planet, dart there, come back and so on, that it would work but the other ways wouldn't.  

For the layman who doesn't understand quantum physics and such, I found the film to be overly pedantic and not explained well enough.

7/10

• Like 5

Holy shit.

Yeah, I had extremely high expectations of this movie and it still surpassed them by a mile. Yes, a plot hole here and there, but the overall quality of the movie really makes you forget about those problems. Honestly, I'd be ready to call this extremely underrated right now.

My friends also agreed that this movie was pure genius. Sure, it was hard to understand at times, but the thing that matters most, the overall story, is perfectly done. Also, really, really emotional

A+

• Like 10

Well, I guess I'll be the wet blanket.  I didn't like it all that much.  I found it to be too convoluted and I didn't understand the technical stuff much either.  Also, for a three hour movie, I found the beginning moved way too quickly.  I also didn't like how Murph figured out that her dad was her ghost and I didn't like how she figured out the message was STAY.  There was a lot about it I did like so for a film like this you can't hate so I'm still giving it a 7.  A very very big complaint is that the sound in it was off, like way off in some parts.  You couldn't hear the dialogue and sometimes the the sound was so loud that it was uncomfortable.  

I am going to see this again, maybe I will change my tune after I give it another shot.  Maybe I'll understand why Caine had to hide it from everyone that his Gravity theory wasn't going to save anyone.  Maybe I'll understand how it is that Cooper figured out that if you circle around the planet, dart there, come back and so on, that it would work but the other ways wouldn't.  

For the layman who doesn't understand quantum physics and such, I found the film to be overly pedantic and not explained well enough.

7/10

I knew it. There's too much knowledge and science for someone like baumer to absorb well. At least upon your first viewing.

If anything, the film explained almost everything to the audiences (particularly about quantum physics). It was either too difficult for you to understand at first, or were not paying as much attention as you should have.

Again, I'm not begrudging your score. You could hate the emotion, and whatnot. But saying it wasn't well explained is not true. You probably need another viewing to take it all in.

• Like 5

Well, I guess I'll be the wet blanket. I didn't like it all that much. I found it to be too convoluted and I didn't understand the technical stuff much either. Also, for a three hour movie, I found the beginning moved way too quickly. I also didn't like how Murph figured out that her dad was her ghost and I didn't like how she figured out the message was STAY. There was a lot about it I did like so for a film like this you can't hate so I'm still giving it a 7. A very very big complaint is that the sound in it was off, like way off in some parts. You couldn't hear the dialogue and sometimes the the sound was so loud that it was uncomfortable.

I am going to see this again, maybe I will change my tune after I give it another shot. Maybe I'll understand why Caine had to hide it from everyone that his Gravity theory wasn't going to save anyone. Maybe I'll understand how it is that Cooper figured out that if you circle around the planet, dart there, come back and so on, that it would work but the other ways wouldn't.

7/10

I look forward to thread in 2016 where you come to terms with the film and talk about how much you enjoyed it

• Like 21

What were these plot holes people are blabbering about? I'm really curious since I haven't found any :thinking: It's a bit too long and things could have been cut, but I don't think there was anything I would categorize as a plot hole.

I look forward to thread in 2016 where you come to terms with the film and talk about how much you enjoyed it

You know that joke was funny the first 5x someone used it.

• Like 3

What were these plot holes people are blabbering about? I'm really curious since I haven't found any :thinking: It's a bit too long and things could have been cut, but I don't think there was anything I would categorize as a plot hole.

Well, I've read a theory since then, but I would say the fact that the wormhole there was created by someone, and that someone seems to be Murphy, who obtained the information necessary to do that from her father, who traveled through THAT WORMHOLE in the first place to give her the information necessary.

Basically, it's a never ending loop that has no beginning, and everything has a beginning.

7/10

Yeah. If they would've let the last act breathe, much more of the science/pseudo-science, which really, at it's heart is Burton Planet of the Apes wormhole eccentrics laced with some M. Night everything comes together for the perfect reason Signs shit, is pretty easy to understand. The plot's so damn frantic in the last act, that it seems more confusing than it really is...

And, as in the last act of Dark Knight Rises, the Brothers Nolan toss everything at you and with ridiculous, desperate fervor. I mean, like five plus trendy theories on black holes, worm holes, extra dimensions, etc. and tries to answer them with slush and mush all within the last thirty minutes of a near three hour movie. It's fun for being so overwhelming, it's also pretty infuriating.

Nolan's a Sudoku puzzle master. Trouble is, when the convoluted heap comes together, it paints pretty picture and doesn't say much about anything a la M. Night. Always more clever than profound. I still think his most profound statement came at the conclusion of Memento in Leonard's motivation/existence.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3