Interstellar  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Interstellar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

The biggest question is who are "they" ?

I read theories on the film and it seems that they is us ( the 5d beings), 3 billion years (give or take) into the future.

Who created the singularities, the wormhole near Saturn, the blackhole and the tesseract where Cooper can transcend space and time and communicate to his daughter the gravity magic quantic formula that ulitimately saves mankind ?

It is like a time paradox. "they" are humans evolved billions of years, the only reason they could evolve so far is because Cooper saved humanity, but the only reason Cooper could save humanity is because the evolved humans helped him to.

• Like 6

What did you guys think of the music? There was this recurring score I really loved that fit so well with the film. Pretty much all the emotional scenes had it and it added a lot more depth for me

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 3

It is like a time paradox. "they" are humans evolved billions of years, the only reason they could evolve so far is because Cooper saved humanity, but the only reason Cooper could save humanity is because the evolved humans helped him to.

Yes and I read explanations for this obvious paradox that are too difficult to translate into english but it really deals with how we understand the concept of time. Relativity, quantum mechanics and all that. It s the paradox of the chicken and the egg, it is the paradox of the creation of the universe itself, what was before the universe ? Nothingness ? The movie deals with such grand ideas that most people won t even consider. I thought "they" were super beings or Gods but the movie is about science and humanity, even Cooper says it " they, are us".

The movie actually deals with the most advanced concepts of theorical physics.

I think the super advanced humans live in a space time continuum where time is not linear so there s no time paradox because there is no beginning and no end, time is an endless circle but to complete the circle, they have to help us ( singularities, wormhole next Saturn, the tessaract inside the blackhole to allow Cooper to "speak" with her daughter and give her the gravity formula) from the future so they can exist and evolve to reach this ultimate frontier and stage of evolution. In the tessaract, Cooper becomes a 5d being and he is out of time and space, he can see everything, everywhere but he can only do it thanks to the love of his daughter so he can focus on her inside the tessaract.

Edited by The Futurist

What did you guys think of the music? There was this recurring score I really loved that fit so well with the film. Pretty much all the emotional scenes had it and it added a lot of emotion for me

The one spot I hated the music was Matt Damon's betrayal. Without the music cue literally telling us that Damon is going to betray MM, the scene would have been much better IMO.

The rest of the score was brilliant, no complaints.

The one spot I hated the music was Matt Damon's betrayal. Without the music cue literally telling us that Damon is going to betray MM, the scene would have been much better IMO.

The rest of the score was brilliant, no complaints.

Yeah I actual didn't think he was going to go all Hal until that cue which gave it away. 

Just saw it, in dubbed german so I can't say much about actors.

I always found Nolan's films to be a bit detached - emotional-wise, that is. Interstellar tries to put some more emotion in and mostly it works even if you see that Nolan's not that used to it and tends to shoehorning and hammering. The images, cinematography and set-design are, as usual with Nolan, superb. I really thinks this looks better than Gravity! Zimmer's soundtrack is a nice (and good) hommage to Glass' Koyaanisqatsi track (I missed some voicework, would have rounded it off perfectly).

Plot: As an SF guy I liked it very much, a fine mix of Benford and Pohl with a bit of Baxter thrown in for good measure. Some plot elements work better than others - I would have thrown the complete chapter about crazed Dr. Mann out of the window or shortened it considerably for instance - but as a whole, it's a good speculative hard-SF story, something you don't get that often on the big screen - big thanks to Nolan for that! Also as an SF guy, I found some scientific and technical details very hard to swallow.

I'll have to rewatch it in english to give a final judgement - for now, it's 7 or 8/10 for me, somewhere between A and B.

• Like 1

Well said. This was on my mind during the film as well, and I was struggling to work out which came first, because in my puny 3 dimensional constricted mind, something needs to come first.

But - once you just sit back and accept that its a chicken/egg scenario - and you simply cant really comprehend and translate things into a neat black and white answer, I was happy to suspend my disbelief and accept things were that way. 'just because'.

I love the spinning docking scene, which surprised me, because I didnt really think a docking scene would grip me the way it did. I think a big part was the musical score during that scene, which really was nailed right.

There is definitely not just room for a sequel, but room for a sequel with a compelling story and adventure. Whether Nolan wants to do it or whether it was ever intended aside, there is definitely a story that could be told, which wouldnt feel like something pulled out of their ass for the sake of it.

Some quick questions, things I didnt pick up or understand until my repeat viewing. Can someone shed light:

- Why did the airlock explode when Matt Damon went in? Was the robot responsible for actively not letting him dock, then killing him? Or did he die because he did the docking wrong of his own accord. There was a convo about  TARS and trust etc between Cooper and CASE which I didnt pay enough attention to

- Who did the grave at the very end belong to, what was on the tombstone? Was it Amelias dead love interest? (aka shes all alone now on his settlement)

- How can water world have waves that massive when the ocean is only half a metre deep? (or should we just say suspension of disbelief / accept it)

Edited by Tyrian

It not "just because", the movie is an ode to science, evolution, the events that happen in the film are not magical or supernatural. No suspension of disbelief needed.

The movie asks you to think time differently.

Everything that happens in the end deals with evolution and physics theories that the most advanced phycisists in the world have come up with.

The phycisist that has an executive producer credit was on set everyday and I am sure he doesn't think the film in " suspension of disbelief" terms. Nope. The movie is scientifically sound even if rooted on theories these scientists can't proove for obvious reasons but there are actual equations behind all these speculations, it s not all smoke and mirrors.

Stop thinking 2d, stop being linear thinking sentient beings.

The movie asks you where human intelligence and evolution can go or reach, what are the frontiers of the universe ? Can we go outside of the universe because that s where the 5d guys are probably ... they have evolved that far.

But they need to help us with the Cooper/Murph event/adventure so they can exist and evolve beyond the realms of time and space, so they can complete the circle of time that has no beginning or end because evolution is fragile.

You have to feed the chicken so the egg can exist, that s what the 5d beings are doing in the film so the end can meet the beginning and the circle is complete.

This movie is not your basic Back to the Future/Terminator time travel movie.

This movie is everything but a "just because" movie. It s the antithesis of that actually.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

- Why did the airlock explode when Matt Damon went in? Was the robot responsible for actively not letting him dock, then killing him? Or did he die because he did the docking wrong of his own accord. There was a convo about  TARS and trust etc between Cooper and CASE which I didnt pay enough attention to

- Who did the grave at the very end belong to, what was on the tombstone? Was it Amelias dead love interest? (aka shes all alone now on his settlement)

- How can water world have waves that massive when the ocean is only half a metre deep? (or should we just say suspension of disbelief / accept it)

I think:

-The airlock exploded because the spaceship and the shuttle wasn't connected properly. TARS had blocked Mann from engaging the auto-guidance sequence and so it was done imperfectly. This was done to prevent Mann from trying to dock but Mann like the moron he is, goes ahead and does it manually anyway. As a result the ship becomes depressurised and blows up.

-The grave was her love interest who died and yes she's alone now until Cooper can come save her. 

-I think the seawater coming to their waist was near the shore. The waves are massive because the gravitational pull from the black hole was stronger than it is on earth, creating the super-waves. 

• Like 1

That was really good.  

Best compliment I can give it honestly, is that it didn't feel like a movie that was approaching three hours in length.  The length was honestly my biggest fear.

You liked it?

My man. I'm gonna fucking love this movie.

• Like 1

Regarding the waves, look up the scientific reasons of how tsunamis occur on Earth. Same principle applies to the water planet in the film, only to a greater degree.

I don't think it's the same. Those waves seemed to be a regular occurrence. Tsunami's are caused by large displacements of water from events such as earthquakes and volcanoes eruptions occurring underwater. 

I don't think it's the same. Those waves seemed to be a regular occurrence. Tsunami's are caused by large displacements of water from events such as earthquakes and volcanoes eruptions occurring underwater. 

Sorry, to clarify, I wasn't talking about the cause but more the mechanism behind the waves. They were in very shallow water, and I'm assuming other parts of the planet must have much deeper water. The cause of the waves is not so important. For example, it could simply be currents or gravitational waves pulling at the water. The reason the waves get so massive I'm sure is that they travel from very deep depths to the extremely shallow area where they landed.

Edited by ACCA
  • Like 3

You have to feed the chicken so the egg can exist, that s what the 5d beings are doing in the film so the end can meet the beginning and the circle is complete.

Although i'm an athiest myself, I think the answer to the chicken/egg scenario in the context of the film (refer to post #81) could easily be God. He saved them the first time / showed them the right way (however you want to put it), then we took over / put things in our own hands and saved ourselves, and became the chicken/egg.

Heres a question for you guys out there, and again i'm an athiest myself, but does this film leave still room for God (or a God) and faith? My thoughts were that yes, it does, even though its not directly brought into play. (and that discussion reminds me of Contact)

Edited by Tyrian
  • Like 1

Although i'm an athiest myself, I think the answer to the chicken/egg scenario in the context of the film (refer to post #81) could easily be God. He saved them the first time / showed them the right way (however you want to put it), then we took over / put things in our own hands and saved ourselves, and became the chicken/egg.

The nolans are probably atheist and a phycisist helped them in the making of the film, I think it s more stimulating intellectually to think the 5 dimensional guys are the super next step of evolution of the human race and the cooper/murph event is THE singularity that was mandatory to reach the next stages of evolution in some billion years or so ...

Imagine the leaps in evolution between us and an ant, in the movie, we are the ants and the 5d guys do everything that they can so we can have the gravitationnal formula caught by the readings of the robot inside the black hole.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

I don't get the comparison to 2001, yeah some spots reminded me of that movie, but in general it felt nothing like 2001. The sound mixing, the score, the cast and Nolan direction are the best thing about Interstellar, TARS was really good too, visually and personality wise, I loved how good and well balanced the humor was. Matthew McConaughey is just incredible, I think he must be nominated for best actor, and that's coming from a person who usually and intensely dislike him.

My biggest problem was when Cooper wakes up in Cooper Station and he doesn't even ask about his son, there isn't one single mention about what happened to Tom, and that bothered me to no end. Dr. Mann subplot felt unnecessary, it added almost nothing and dragged the pace a bit. Some scenes where were shown people crying had some awkward editing, it made those scenes slightly unintentionally humorous

the awe, the emotion and the craft makes up for every flaw that it may have though. Pretty great film, definitely seeing a second time.

the first half 85/100

the last half 100/100

1. Insomnia 100/100

2. The Prestige 100/100

3. The Dark Knight Rises 100/100

4. Batman Begins 100/100

5. Interstellar 95/100

6. Inception 90/100

7. The Dark Knight 90/100

8. Memento 80/100

9. Following 70/100

Edited by Goffe R Swanson
  • Like 4

I think the comparison to 2001 is there, it's just shallow.  If I gave a general description of the plot to 2001 and Interstellar, they'd come off as very similar (though I haven't seen 2001 in over 10 years so maybe my memory is off).

Basically, mankind discovers an anomaly in space.  A mission is sent out to investigate this anomaly.  Things go awry in the mission, a member of the crew sabotages the mission which forces the main protagonist to an action that is very dangerous.  The protagonist ends up in a room where trippy shit happens that will make a lot of the audience go 'huh?'.

Now to me, that sounds like both movies, but it's all in the how and why things happen that differentiate the two films.