Interstellar  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Interstellar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

So basically, almost everyone from this forum who has watched it so far has come back saying "I enjoyed it a lot, but I don't know if the GA will". Either all of us are underestimating the GA's tastes a lot, or we are overestimating our taste in movies.

• Like 7

I think the GA will eat it up if they're patient enough. I think people that know movies will adore the last act for throwing everything at the viewer. First two play like garbage... Generic as all hell. Hallmark Channel goes sci-fi nonsense. Hilariously grounded for as ridiculous and fun as they could've been... Painfully protracted too.

The Sixth Sense reveal doesn't make the last hour work either. But, the effort's there and the wacky, wonky love dimension gives it a fun Doctor Who vibe. Really though, the visual rollercoaster of awesome is what separates the last part. Part Contact, part Sixth Sense and 100% hilariously, giddy Doctor Who sci-fi. Last act owns it. Knows its place.

Will say, concerning GA, guffaws were present often in my screening. Damon brought the house down.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

So basically, almost everyone from this forum who has watched it so far has come back saying "I enjoyed it a lot, but I don't know if the GA will". Either all of us are underestimating the GA's tastes a lot, or we are overestimating our taste in movies.

I have no idea what to expect from the general audience, but my gut instinct tells me it will be a big financial flop. Several things struck me with my audience:

1. This was absolutely not a bunch of Nolanites. There were ADD teenagers right behind me who couldn't shut their traps for the first 10 minutes of the movie. I had about a 50 year old dude next to me. One of my co-workers was there with her husband. She is in her 40's and a normal mom of two, not exactly Nolanite material.

2. The audience laughed a lot, even at the end after all the confusing shit happens. Nolan didn't completely lose them and they were still laughing even at 11 PM on a work night. This is his funniest movie with the best one liners of any of his films by a long shot.

3. The audience cried a lot. The scene where Cooper is in space and watching the videos of his kids had people sobbing. I have never in my whole life been in a theater with that many people audibly crying. I didn't get to see Titanic in a theater and I usually don't see Oscar bait movies in the theater, so this was a first time deal for me. Admittedly it was one of the saddest movie scenes I have ever experienced and I can understand why so many people were crying. 

Having said all of this, the movie's plot is like 2001 on steroids. It is very confusing and I don't think it will play well with kids at all. I also don't have any idea how well it will play with adults for that matter. This makes Inception look like a walk in the park for audiences.

I can understand why Paramount is so proud of the film. It is probably the riskiest huge budget production I've ever seen and it is art. I can't even attempt to rate it after a single viewing and I feel bad for critics who are forced to do so in their job.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 7

Well, I've never disputed this.

Wk61jWD.jpg

• Like 4

Agreed in that it is art. I like how messy it is. So many twists and turns. It's also all Nolan. Forget the comparisons. He's crafted an amalgam of a big, loud something. That something is especially awesome when the score's blaring and Coop's pushing onward.

Thinking it will be looked at as Nolan's next step. He's young. He has many films to come. And, I'm convinced, his best has yet to come. No matter my qualms, I love the effort.

• Like 6

I have no idea what to expect from the general audience, but my gut instinct tells me it will be a big financial flop. Several things struck me with my audience:

1. This was absolutely not a bunch of Nolanites. There were ADD teenagers right behind me who couldn't shut their traps for the first 10 minutes of the movie. I had about a 50 year old dude next to me. One of my co-workers was there with her husband. She is in her 40's and a normal mom of two, not exactly Nolanite material.

2. The audience laughed a lot, even at the end after all the confusing shit happens. Nolan didn't completely lose them and they were still laughing even at 11 PM on a work night. This is his funniest movie with the best one liners of any of his films by a long shot.

3. The audience cried a lot. The scene where Cooper is in space and watching the videos of his kids had people sobbing. I have never in my whole life been in a theater with that many people audibly crying. I didn't get to see Titanic in a theater and I usually don't see Oscar bait movies in the theater, so this was a first time deal for me. Admittedly it was one of the saddest movie scenes I have ever experienced and I can understand why so many people were crying. 

Having said all of this, the movie's plot is like 2001 on steroids. It is very confusing and I don't think it will play well with kids at all. I also don't have any idea how well it will play with adults for that matter. This makes Inception look like a walk in the park for audiences.

I can understand why Paramount is so proud of the film. It is probably the riskiest huge budget production I've ever seen and it is art. I can't even attempt to rate it after a single viewing and I feel bad for critics who are forced to do so in their job.

Surprise surprise.

• Like 1

So, did you like it?

Do you feel I was right in the other thread when I said this was more like a big-budget Memento/Prestige Nolan and not big-budget TDK/Inception Nolan?

• Like 2

So, did you like it?

Do you feel I was right in the other thread when I said this was more like a big-budget Memento/Prestige Nolan and not big-budget TDK/Inception Nolan?

Can't really compare it to any of his other films. It is unique in his filmography and I need to see it a few more times before I can try to rate it.

I'll say this. I loved Nightcrawler and don't have a desire to watch it again immediately. But I want to see Interstellar soon to try to figure it out. This is the only Nolan movie where I felt I could not even attempt to rate it after a first viewing. In this regard, it reminds me of 2001 a lot more than I expected. I'm really shocked Paramount let him run wild with it like they did considering he has never made a profitable movie for them.

• Like 1

Can't really compare it to any of his other films. It is unique in his filmography and I need to see it a few more times before I can try to rate it.

I'll say this. I loved Nightcrawler and don't have a desire to watch it again immediately. But I want to see Interstellar soon to try to figure it out. This is the only Nolan movie where I felt I could not even attempt to rate it after a first viewing. In this regard, it reminds me of 2001 a lot more than I expected. I'm really shocked Paramount let him run wild with it like they did considering he has never made a profitable movie for them.

My guess is that WB wouldn't finance it, so that is why Paramount co-financed it. Nolan is such a big name that he can make any film he wants. Look at Avatar, that seemed riskier than this (much bigger budget and whatnot) but the Cameron name sold Fox. Although, he did make Titanic for them previously.

On a second note, I am going to see the film again because I loved it on my first viewing. It is super rare for me these days to see a movie a second time. Although, I had zero troubles figuring out the plot of this film. However, time travel, black holes, and wormholes have fascinated me ever since middle/high school. So, that may have been why grasping the film came easy for me.

And, finally, to those saying the 2001 comparisons are unwarranted, this is not true. Many aspects of the film are an homage to 2001. Lots of plot elements are similar. Also, the way the space scenes were filmed is strikingly, visually similar to Kubrick's style. Also, let's not forget the very first film Nolan saw at the age of 8 was 2001 and from that point on, he knew he wanted to make movies. I have seen 2001 5 or 6 times, and Interstellar is heavily influenced by that film, and it shows. I also wrote a college essay on 2001.

Edited by CloneWars
  • Like 1

My guess is that WB wouldn't finance it, so that is why Paramount co-financed it. Nolan is such a big name that he can make any film he wants. Look at Avatar, that seemed riskier than this (much bigger budget and whatnot) but the Cameron name sold Fox. Although, he did make Titanic for them previously.

Cameron had to go overseas to get independent funding for Avatar. Fox wouldn't even commit to him 100% despite Titanic's success. Paramount is the main studio on Interstellar and has been for about a decade. They were working on it long before Chris Nolan got involved.

Nolan brought WB along for the ride. Paramount's CEO said he was very loyal to WB and wanted to include them in the project. Paramount got a good deal from WB though since WB is giving up rights to Friday the 13th and South Park. Even if it flops, Paramount will probably still make money on the deals they made for Interstellar thanks to Friday the 13th/South Park.

• Like 2